Sign in to follow this  
Iran

PortableRA Beta

I started working on and pretty much finished my C# (.Net 2.0) map preview generator tool. It's based on OpenRA code and a map preview tool that hifi wrote in PHP.

You can find the code at https://github.com/Iran/RedAlertMapPreviewGenerator

I've attached a compiled version of the tool with the needed data files. It's a command-line tool which works like:

RedAlertMapPreviewGenerator.exe InputMapFileName OutputImageFileName

C:\Users\Maikel\Desktop\RAMapPreviewGenerator>RedAlertMapPreviewGenerator.exe map.mpr sh.png

The size of the output image is doubled from the actual max map size (128x128). So the size is 256x256.

RAMapPreviewGenerator.zip

Edited by Iran

I wrote an open-source tool in C# 2.0 to generate a FULL map preview of a C&C1 map, using the game's graphics. You can find more info and a download here:

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2524.0

I used OpenRA code and code hifi gave me.

Still needs a lot of testing.

Edited by Iran

Where are the sources, btw? I'd like to take a look.

The github link in the linked CnC-Comm topic.

I've done a bunch of fixes related to my patch and FunkyFr3sh's CnCNet v5 client today. I also worked on a C&C95 patch to load custom hotkeys from a configuration file (like RA95 does) and in addition to that I added a bunch of hotkeys the game didn't have before (but RA95 did), like toggling the map zoom, selecting all units on the screen and toggling repair and sell mode on/off.

See: http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2521.msg15722#new

Edited by Iran

You know, maybe you should just make a separate topic for this stuff...

I fixed the remap icon color always being blue when the option is enabled and the game freezing when no music was installed. The fixes are uploaded to the portableRA site (re-download the game files if this affects you).

I fixed a color issue a few days ago. Could you check if the issue is still there with the latest release?

EDIT: Herp derp. Years old and 404 for the link.

For anyone who wants to download a lores attack dog, it can be found here.

The fire in the frames where the attack dog gets burned has been recolored to match the new graphical explosions and flames in my mod. If it bothers anyone, I can fix it back to the way it was.

Perhaps an idea though if it isn't in the lores already.

Edited by r34ch

Could you check? I'll see about adding it if it isn't in already. To be honest I've never noticed. It's a bug if it isn't in there though..

I only run linux now :/

Otherwise I would have helped with the mission savegames and this as well.

You living like a europoor now? lol

The game should run great on Wine btw.

Edited by Iran

You living like a europoor now? lol

The game should run great on Wine btw.

The instructions are a little unclear for the wine install. Last time it took me ages to figure out that you don't select a library from the 'New override for library:' dropdown box but simply type the name of the dll file into the blank combobox and hit add.

EDIT:

Got it running eventually.

- Mono is not installed on Ubuntu 13.04 by default

- You have to install mono-compete (or you get the error "The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.")

- You have to navigate to the .wine folder first then locate the installed PortableRA folder

- Run using the command "mono RedAlertLauncher.exe".

EDIT 2:

Seems to have some funky functionality on wine/mono/ubuntu

-Detect resolution gives an 'incorrect' resolution of 2732 x 1536

*Ah this is due to my 4 workspaces (should be 1366 x 768)

-The OK button only seems to save input from that tab, and not all (perhaps replace with an 'apply' button)

-Can't replicate, but changing certain settings resets the saved settings or defaults many to nothing

(I think running the game first without using the options, resets to the ancient settings)

I think I will make a 'newbies guide to PortableRA installation on Ubuntu 13.04' in a few days :)

Edited by r34ch

Well after a bunch of fannying about I got it to run nicely and even worked out how to change the desktop Icon that Wine creates to run the game under mono.

I'll make a tutorial for it anyway. Iran can update his page with that and your recommendation to use winetrecks dotnet20 :P

Here are the hires dogs. They are bigger than the infantry,

y15ulxN.png

EDIT: Just installed the movies after. It reset most of my options.

EDIT 2: Been playing on-line - I seem to OOS when my REF is done

Edited by r34ch

I'll fix the Ref OOS. Some user on BHP also said he got OOS and didn't clarify until about 4 days later (no wonder their QA is so ****). -_- It's because of some code that's supposed to be disabled, I was testing for OOS with Funky beforeelasing the patch but we tested on a special map with special ore settings so the OOS didn't occur for us. Very unfortunate.

What do you mean with "EDIT: Just installed the movies after. It reset most of my options."?

Does the small infantry option included with PortableRA use small or large dogs?

The Ref OOS should be fixed now, please redownload (you can just grab the files from the 13 MB minimum game package ZIP) and test.

What do you mean with "EDIT: Just installed the movies after. It reset most of my options."?

I used the movies installer to install the extra movies after I got the game working. When I went into game, it had reset a bunch of my options again.

Its odd. Like today I went into options from booting up my laptop and again half the options were missing. The resolution etc was fine, but things multiplayer settings were randomly reset. Some ok, others, like no bases, starting money at 0 etc.

It seems random in what resets. Sometimes the options to choose the maps will reset to empty and ill blindly start a skirmish with no maps causing a crash lol

Does the small infantry option included with PortableRA use small or large dogs?

U5sD696.png

This is the lores. It looks like the same shp is used in both from what I can see, with this ship scaled to lores better.

Were you testing the OT harvesting code? I noticed OTs would travel to the nearest ore patch after a time regardless where you sent them to mine. Would have worked well if the OTs would discern between a thin cell of ore (from a nearly empty mine) and a fat cell of ore to stop mining empty mines close to the base.

EDIT:

Tried the new zip. Can't open the options with the button. Game is in original windowed mode, but cant even test online because mouse disappears after a while. Can't launch the game with skirmish or anything. Will have another look.

EDIT 2:

Redownloaded the entire thing worked. No OOS online

Edited by r34ch

All the installer does is extract movies.mix and movies-tlf.mix to your game folder, it shouldn't affect REDALERT.INI or DDRAW.INI.

Yeah I tested some code to force the Ore Truck to go to the nearest Ore patch, like you said it causes them to go to the nearest even if the ore is hardly filled. I found the code used for scanning Ore patches (which I think is reponsible for the "start mining or mine towards the top left" behavior.

From your comment it seems I don't need to update the small infantry dog SHP?

Well its up to you but imho if you could make it smaller for hires that would be great. The dog is the same size in both, so while its fairly proportional in lores, the dog is the same size as an entire man in hires :P

Also, are you still looking for saves for the entire campaign?

Neh I made the savegames after Allen said restarting the mission after loading a savegame causes the new mission file to be loaded.