Madin

Tiberian Dawn enthusiast, I am seeking your opinion

Which side would you give the F-18 Hornet too?

The 'Akira' FMV is typical Westwood oddness, has it appears to show GDI assaulting a GDI base.

Is the Napalm FMV a side specific campaign FMV or one of the neutral FMVs? (appears in both campaigns).

I seem to recall that it is probably an F-18 that was destroyed in one of the SAM site FMVs (which would again make it a GDI aircraft).

If the experts decide that it could be argued either way, I would probably give it to Nod, has GDI have the A10 has a strike aircraft and the GDI interceptor has their fighter plane. Nod would have the F-18 has a strike aircraft and the F-22 has their fighter.

I'd give it to the GDI.

TD was made while Westwood still had plans to link it to RA1, meaning that Nod was formed out of the USSR and other communist countries, hence they should have MiGs and Su's. The Nod F-22 in the cutscenes was probably captured, then.

Which side would you give the F-18 Hornet too?

The 'Akira' FMV is typical Westwood oddness, has it appears to show GDI assaulting a GDI base.

Actually it's very clearly a Nod base, only it has the GDI barracks (flying a Nod banner BTW) and a guard tower. Then again, Nod owns those quite legitimately in-game in some of the campaign missions.

From the lore standpoint, it's logical to assume that GDI uses NATO equipment, while Nod uses whatever they could buy on the black market, steal or capture. And, of course, they have some nasty tricks of their own devising :)

TD was made while Westwood still had plans to link it to RA1, meaning that Nod was formed out of the USSR and other communist countries

I didn't know Westwood planned that far ahead when creating Command & Conquer. Anyway, GDI have the very Soviet Mammoth tank in spite of this. Also, Russia is shown to be part of the GDI bloc in one of EVA cutscenes.

Overall though, I think it's not very productive to look for consistencies in the armament of the sides involved in the games. For example, the Soviets in RA1 build Chinooks, and also the AA guns of the Allies were very obviously initially intended for the Soviets, as they are modelled after a real-life Soviet anti-aircraft gun (I think it's called ZSU in rules.ini though).

It's typical Westwood oddness.

Thanks for the opinions.

I don't think there's anything particularly odd in that. FMVs are not supposed to show only the stuff you can build in the game, and there is no reason why a particular combat aircraft could be employed only in the forces of one of the factions involved.

I didn't know Westwood planned that far ahead when creating Command & Conquer.

Then how did they release it a year after TD, while TD needed two years to be developed?

Then how did they release it a year after TD, while TD needed two years to be developed?

Um, they already had the engine? And most graphics?

Um, they already had the engine? And most graphics?

this is true, at least what i heard from Kane(no joke), Joe Kane Kucan said that he and another important guy in Westwood, they sat down for a whole day to come up with this, is more like a fun and experimental project!! they did say they knocked down the concept pretty quick.

Joe is a notorious liar though... and I doubt he was involved in the game design :P