Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Your top ten favorite freeware games

As by the name of the title, what's your top ten favorite freeware games? This does not include temporary free giveaway games (like FarCry and Metro 2033 for instance), add-on mods and games that are abandonware.

Here's my interesting top ten favorites:

1. C&C Red Alert

2. Black Mesa (and Uplink)

3. Mech Commander Gold

4. WarZone 2100

5. Super Tux Kart

6. Mario Forever Galaxy

7. Mari0 (with portals)

8. Texas Hold 'em (Microsoft version)

9. Mech Commander 2

10. C&C2 Tiberian Sun

Honorable Mention: New Mario Forever 2012, Dune Dynasty

But my top 10 dislikes for freeware games (cannot give a reason for all of them):

1. Team Fortress 2

2. Alien Swarm (Valve version)

3. Priority: Survive

4. Mario Forever (the original)

5. All Zynga games (excluding Cityville, Mafia Wars 2 and Empires vs Allies)

6. All online only indie games (I would never want to pay to win with real money and some of them cannot play forever)*

7. Mah Jong (I am still looking for the original game that the Chinese always play, not pairing matches)

8. Pac-Man (the original)

9. C&C Tiberian Dawn

10. C&C Tiberium Alliances

*Does not include the upcoming C&C F2P game(s) and End of Nations

Edited by zocom7

1. C&C Red Alert/Counterstrike/Aftermath as well

2. C&C Tiberian Sun/Firestorm

3. C&C Tiberian Dawn

4. Team Fortress 2

5. C&C Red Alert: A Path Beyond

6. The Second Tiberium War

7. Tiberium Crystal War

8. HoboSoccer

9. OpenTTD

10. vacant

I don't play many freeware games :P

My top 10.

1. C&C: Tiberian Dawn + Covert Operations (Freeware)
  2. C&C: Red Alert + Counterstrike + Aftermath (Freeware)
  3. C&C: Tiberian Sun + Firestorm (Freeware)
  4. Black Mesa (Freeware)
  5. Twisted Insurrection (Freeware)
  6. Dawn of the Tiberium Age (Freeware)
  7. Xonotic (Free and Open Source)
  8. Warzone 2100 (Free snd Open Source)
  9. Arctic Combat (Free to play)
  10. A Path Beyond pre Gamma update (Freeware)

As for the top 3 dislikes

1. OpenRA (Free and Open Source)
  2. A Path Beyond after Gamma update (Freeware)
  3. Bulletrun (Free to play)

Can't think of more. :P

Edit: Added Xonotic, which I forgot for some reason

Edited by Tore

2. A Path Beyond after Gamma update

Why does everyone hate Gamma so much?

Hmm, many of those games on the lists would be more properly termed as liberated games (i.e. initially commercial ones that got later released for free) rather than freeware.

But my top 10 dislikes for freeware games (cannot give a reason for all of them):

[...]

3. Priority: Survive

I haven't checked it out yet, is it really not good? The screenshots look nice.

[...]

10. C&C Tiberian Dawn

You included the original C&C as well? Why?

I guess this will be a top 9...

• C&C: Tiberian Dawn + Covert Operations
  • C&C: Red Alert + Counterstrike + Aftermath
Hmm, I don't remember, were the add-ons ever actually officially released for free?

I'd say the best truly freeware game (that is, was a free project from the start) I know is probably C-evo, which has both the quality of a commercial product and some real in-depth game mechanics.

Ancient Domains of Mystery and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup are also nice, but they require a lot of free time to play properly and enjoy thoroughly (not that C-evo allows for quick games... ;)).

Hmm, I don't remember, were the add-ons ever actually officially released for free?

The add ons for C&C and Red Alert were never officially released, but I guess EA doesn't really mind them being distributed since the main games are officially free.

1. Black Mesa Source
  2. OpenRA
  3. Urban Terror
  4. DOTA 2
  5. Settler 2.5 Return to the Roots
  6. OpenTTD
  7. Warsow
  8. 0.AD
  9. Hedgewars
  10. Dune Legacy

In fact Black Mesa: Source is a mod and mostly everything on this list is Free/Libre Open Source Software except game files and not "Freeware" or "Free-2-Play" how they call it nowadays.

Inaccurate use of the term freeware.. Open source and free-to-play are not freeware or free.. Red Alert up the top for me..

fact Black Mesa: Source is a mod and mostly everything on this list is Free/Libre Open Source Software except game files and not "Freeware" or "Free-2-Play" how they call it nowadays.

There's nothing called "Black Mesa: Source" it's called just Black Mesa and it can be called a game as it doesn't build upon any game, it just requires the source SDK.

Free to play and freeware is different. In a freeware game you get all the content for free while in free to play you can or have to unlock content by paying for it.

While in Free and Open Source software you get the game and the source code without paying.

Also I updated my list, I forgot Xonotic.

There's nothing called "Black Mesa: Source" it's called just Black Mesa

It is my understanding that the project had been originally called Black Mesa: Source but was renamed at some point. Not sure though.

Free to play and freeware is different. In a freeware game you get all the content for free while in free to play you can or have to unlock content by paying for it.

I've always thought that the main distinction of free-to-play games is that you need to stay connected to a server to play, so there's no offline mode. But Wikipedia suggests that free-to-play is actually a form of freemium. But this still means you have to be connected to the server. Edited by MrFlibble

It was originally called "Black Mesa: Source", but Valve asked them to remove "Source" from the name as they felt people would think it was an official product.

I've always thought that the main distinction of free-to-play games is that you need to stay connected to a server to play

That's a part of the deal as well. Always connected and always something to buy; micro transactions or otherwise.