Sign in to follow this  
Alex06

C&C - Free to Play Single & Multi Player Clarifications from EA_CIRE

In reaction to certain questions asked by fans on the official forums after the release of a new screenshot this Monday, EA_CIRE has posted some new information to clarify about what modes of play Command & Conquer - Free to Play will have upon release, specifically about the inclusion of campaign and skirmish modes.

Ql5JY.png

We're starting very MP focused, indeed, but being a live service where we will add content and improve it overall over time, this will give us the opportunity to extend into the areas our players want more content in! And this to me is one of the big opportunities with our new live service model - adapt and improve through consumer metrics and feedback! This isn't a promise that we definitely will have a campaign in the future, unfortunately. I know how many of you are looking for a great campaign, but we are focusing on creating a great basic game experience first - And if we get the opportunity to make a campaign that fulfills certain quality standards, the team would be excited to take this task on!

And Skirmish will be in from the start.

Click here for the original post.

I thought they said they are listening to the community. It seems that they only listen to what they want to hear. The main demand from the community has been the request for a campaign. This is disappointing.

On the other hand its better than ruining the game with a terrible campaign that is made with no passion just for the sake of fulfilling the "pesky community's" demands.

Only thing they would even consider listenening to would be the balance changes and perhaps some unit model designs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think their choice is so much a matter of not listening to the community... making multiplayer is just so much easier than campaigns. Multiplayer is perhaps the easiest aspect to design, it makes sense to do it first. Multiplayer doesn't need AI, storyline, FVMs, mission specific maps, etc.

I won't argue that EA listens well, but I will say I don't think that is the problem in this circumstance.

Yes that would be the case, but if they want to bring back the community I don't think this is what they should do. Every person I talked to wants a CnC campaign because thats a major thing we are used,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well you can count on it that IF they actually make a campaign (and that's a big if), it will be **** and it will be DLC. Probably will require an Internet connection too because why the hell not?

And before anyone goes off about it, I'm talking about EA and not the developers. I'm pretty sure the developers enjoy being employed and earning money, especially considering EA actually seems to treat their developers with respect since that whole "mistreatment of employees" debacle.

Edited by Iran
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But what about the leaked campaign videos with Danko, Jarmen Kell and all? Will that be tossed in the nearest Recycle Bin if the game doesn't get the intended fan support and becomes discontinued?

But what about the leaked campaign videos with Danko, Jarmen Kell and all? Will that be tossed in the nearest Recycle Bin if the game doesn't get the intended fan support and becomes discontinued?

I highly doubt that they would be foolish enough to delete ANY resources. As far as I'm aware, it is extremely rare for a dev company to delete any resources, even if they are from a cancelled project. Those resources could prove useful in the future to be re purposed and would save hours of dev time just because they used an old resource.

Yeah, they don't delete resources, they just lose them. :P

They could just as well be. That material was made for a several year long parallel production cycle, you can't just take it and cram it into a 6 month DLC cycle. Well, you can, but only if you want an even ****tier, more linear, flat campaign than the TW->RA3->TT line has led to.

Edited by Golan

Guest Stevie_K

It's very rare to see a game that is both good in the campaign and good in the multiplayer. I hope this new Command & Conquer will be such a case though.

I thought they said they are listening to the community. It seems that they only listen to what they want to hear. The main demand from the community has been the request for a campaign. This is disappointing.

On the other hand its better than ruining the game with a terrible campaign that is made with no passion just for the sake of fulfilling the "pesky community's" demands.

Only thing they would even consider listenening to would be the balance changes and perhaps some unit model designs.

No one cares about campaigns just a few whingers who want to play the game for a day or two and give it up. Only the double digit IQS could actually enjoy playing against a programmed CPU when intelligent human beings are out there to play again! Multiplayer is the money, Multiplayer is the support. MULTIPLAYER IS THE GAME backed by EA!

• Downvote 2

No one cares about campaigns just a few whingers who want to play the game for a day or two and give it up.

Bull****. In all games (except BF, CoD and similar games for kids under 12) people like singleplayer over multiplayer. What you said makes singleplayer-only games like Thief, Wolfenstein classics, Torchlight 1 etc. stupid just because they're "oriented towards whiners".

One can also call competitive multiplayer a game mode for lifeless nerds that stay in their parents' basements 24/7.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Stevie_K

No one cares about campaigns just a few whingers who want to play the game for a day or two and give it up. Only the double digit IQS could actually enjoy playing against a programmed CPU when intelligent human beings are out there to play again! Multiplayer is the money, Multiplayer is the support. MULTIPLAYER IS THE GAME backed by EA!

Not at all true. Singleplayer campaigns in real-time strategy games is an interesting way of telling/shaping a story. I think it's very underrated these days. It probably has to do with the difficulty of creating an interesting campaign and still deliver a solid multiplayer at the same time. There are tons of triple A titles failing to do this each year. It's simply easier to focus on one thing.

It seems I saw some statistics somewhere that said a large majority of modern gamers still prefer single player over multiplayer. I wish I could remember where I saw that so I could link to it.

Game companies however, greatly prefer multiplayer because it costs them less to make, but they can still charge you full price.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bull****. In all games (except BF, CoD and similar games for kids under 12) people like singleplayer over multiplayer. What you said makes singleplayer-only games like Thief, Wolfenstein classics, Torchlight 1 etc. stupid just because they're "oriented towards whiners".

One can also call competitive multiplayer a game mode for lifeless nerds that stay in their parents' basements 24/7.

HAHA I am seeing alot of generalisations and not any facts. Everyone prefers singleplayer and that's why after all the feasibility studies and business studies EA are making Generals an ONLINE ONLY GAME.

Anyone MP is all the matters, It's a MP game

Suffer.

Edited by Sonic
Offensive comments removed
  • Downvote 1

Generals 1 had less than 1 percent of all buyers interested in competitive multiplayer. This is based on estimated sales of at minimum 3 million games (taking into account Gen1 being the "most sold C&C game" and RA1 being the highest listed with 3 million) and the most influential competitive Gen1 league, Clanwars, with the extrapolation to estimating the entire competitive playerbase via a factor of ten (10) applied be on the really, really safe side of making an educated guess.

Edited by Golan

HAHA I am seeing alot of generalisations and not any facts. Everyone prefers singleplayer and that's why after all the feasibility studies and business studies EA are making Generals an ONLINE ONLY GAME

You complain about whining when, ironically, you do the same.

Edited by Sonic
Offensive comments removed

Hey guys just a thread wide warning here. We have a few posts reported in this thread. Please don't post offensive comments in your posts. Discuss the game related news and details. Don't argue with the people involved because they disagree with you. Everyone is entitled to his or her say. All offending remarks have been removed.