Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Portable C&C

Portable RA has the biggest and fastest improvement ever since CHyper gave up fixing and modding RA1.

Now that Iran's Portable RA has been successful than all other modified RA versions with patches, I am wondering whether anyone in the C&C community can do a portable version of C&C (with all content in one without a CD and includes all recent patches from Nyerguds). I know there is a developing HTML5 browser version of C&C but now I prefer a working portable C&C that should work in all versions of Windows (and perhaps other OSs too)

Although C&C is now freeware, it's quite odd for a long time why there hasn't been an unofficial portable C&C these days despite a lot of bug fixes and enhancements to the original C&C from Nyerguds.

Edited by zocom7

Yeah, but he doesn't claim that as portable, and the optional download for the movies are not there from his site and even in Moddb.

Yeah, but he doesn't claim that as portable

714-epic-facepalm.jpg

and the optional download for the movies are not there from his site and even in Moddb.

Grab them from the ISOs or ask someone to host them. I might even do so on my Mediafire.

Thanks for the important link, Iran.

ut does this contain the longer sidebar?

No, but Nyerguds had said he has yet to find a way to do that.

:o

I took a small break from working on this, but I'm back now. Since last week or so CnCNet has been running a poll whether extended sidebar should be added to my patch or not. It's winning with ~85% after around 170 votes so I decided to add it.....to C&C95.

VRot62E.png

Does that include the scrolling of the sidebar using the middle mouse button?

Now I wonder when Nyerguds will include Iran's works in his project.

Edited by zocom7

Yes it includes mouse wheel scrolling, I was also able to change all the C&C95 hotkeys except for ESC. Nyerguds is gonna add it soon but there's a few things he needs to fix which I was unable to. I also made the sidebar resolution independent (at high resolutions the sidebar graphics would break). I also added support for generating crashdumps, the original code for it was written by hifi.

Edited by Iran

Do you think you could ever port the RA1 skirmish AI over to TD? It was apparently designed for it after all.

Also, what do you think the chances are that if you contacted EA they would help you with this project? I know with Red Alert: A Path Beyond and a few other Renegade mods they were able to have some access to the source code. RA1's free now anyways, so it isn't like releasing it is going to hurt anyone, and considering they've switched over to the Frostbite 2 engine for CnC2013 I doubt that doing so would reveal any exploits in their new game ( I doubt that they were using much of the old code for most of their recent games anyways).

Lastly, what do you think the possibility of implementing an in-game chat would be? If it isn't possible, do you think that implementing an IRC client connecting to the CnCNet chat would be the next best thing?

(PS: Just a random question for TD online players if any are here: how come you guys never seem to have very many tanks in comparison to your infantry (at least from videos of CnCNet multiplayer I've seen).)

Edit: And would it be possible to fix the AI wall behaviour? Add some sort of rules.ini support closer to that of the later games? Sorry if I am asking too much for TD; I know RA is your primary project.

Edited by KevinLancaster

Also, what do you think the chances are that if you contacted EA they would help you with this project? I know with Red Alert: A Path Beyond and a few other Renegade mods they were able to have some access to the source code. RA1's free now anyways, so it isn't like releasing it is going to hurt anyone, and considering they've switched over to the Frostbite 2 engine for CnC2013 I doubt that doing so would reveal any exploits in their new game ( I doubt that they were using much of the old code for most of their recent games anyways).

Allegedly, EA lost all pre-Generals source codes during Westwood's merge to EALA in 2003.

Can't add base building skirmish AI to C&C95.

"Also, what do you think the chances are that if you contacted EA they would help you with this project? I know with Red Alert: A Path Beyond and a few other Renegade mods they were able to have some access to the source code. RA1's free now anyways, so it isn't like releasing it is going to hurt anyone, and considering they've switched over to the Frostbite 2 engine for CnC2013 I doubt that doing so would reveal any exploits in their new game ( I doubt that they were using much of the old code for most of their recent games anyways)."

Not sure where you're going with this.

Hifi and FunkyFr3sh are doing work to add the ability to launch online MP games from an external client, though hifi hit some desync issues with his C&C95 code.

People buy infantry cause tanks are slow, it's also why a lot of Humm-vees and Buggies are bought.

AI wall behavior ask Nyerguds.

Edited by Iran

Jonwil explicitly told me they didn’t get source about 6 months ago, but I have seen this rumor before.

Well, they got something that helped them, so I'm wondering if EA could give something that would help this as well.

Edited by KevinLancaster

It's pretty much common knowledge EA lost the C&C1 and RA1 source code in the move...

It's pretty much common knowledge EA lost the C&C1 and RA1 source code in the move...

What about Petroglyph which used to be Westwood Studios? They might have the remainders.

Well I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them kept a backup, but doing so would probably have broken a contract so don't suspect any new from them.

If EA hadn't lost the code I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to pull a Red Alert HD a la Microsoft.

CCHyper contacted a few devs who had partial backups of the code

Any update on this?

I have quite an itch to play C&C 95 the whole way through like I did with RA1, but I really got spoiled by Irans longer sidebar with mouse-wheel scrolling.

I got the patched binary, I figured out how all the keyboard keys are hard-coded a while ago and I can change the hard-coded keys. The boring part of making the keyboard keys configurable via a INI I left to Nyerguds. ;)

Send me a PM on this forums if you want the modified EXE.

Iran, there is a still a glitch where you scroll down further with the middle scroll mouse showing empty gray boxes on the buildings tab. Same goes to the units tab.

@Nyerguds, it's been over a year since revision 3 has been released for patch 1.06. When will C&C patch 1.06 r4 be released with this scrolling/extended sidebar and extra keyboard functions?