Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

When will there be gaming cards to support 48-bit color?

This is otherwise known as "Deep Color" quality according to Wikipedia, which ranges from 30 to 48-bit and even to 64-bit color with billions of colors. How come no gaming card today other than the Nvidia Quadro and ATI/AMD FireGL supports this even though Windows 7 and above versions support it? Even HDMI 1.3 supports that as well and I have seen "deep color" quality on most recent Blu-ray movies using HDMI. But the real question remains for the future, when will there be gaming cards to support at least a 48-bit color or even a 64-bit color?

We are stuck with true color quality of 32-bit since Windows 95 first supported it for some high-end cards. We didn't get to see it until Windows 98.

We have seen high color quality of 16-bit since the late 1980s to early 1990s.

We have seen low color quality of 8-bit and even 16 colors since the beginning of PCs and video game consoles.

Wouldn't you also need a very high end LCD panel/display as well? Plus I doubt your eyes would even see a difference. Its kind of like the difference between 720p and 1080p, yes 1080p is better but the difference is marginal at best.

Plus I doubt your eyes would even see a difference. Its kind of like the difference between 720p and 1080p

It's even worse than that. From Wikipedia: "The human eye can distinguish about 10 million colors."

Whereas if the eye were to be compared to a camera, it would have an approximate resolution of 5.5 megapixel.

There are uses for 48-bit or 64-bit, but being able to have hues no human could even detect isn't one of them.

Because of machine word sizes, I'd say 64-bit might eventually happen, but it would be very pointless.

Plus I doubt your eyes would even see a difference. Its kind of like the difference between 720p and 1080p, yes 1080p is better but the difference is marginal at best.

You're talking about the kind of people who shell out an extra $500 dollars for an extra 10 FPS...