Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Daily C&C Trivia

Hmmm, it's quite fitting that I used that Predator Tank with rockets for the ZOCOM faction in my KW Reloaded mod.

ENTRY 16 - June 7th, 2013
TIBERIAN INCURSION RECYCLING - PART 2
Had to divide into two parts due to Imgur's momentary disobedience. Anyhow...
MRRT7ql.jpg
CNCTW_Snipers.png
The Sniper looks very similar to the one used in Tiberium Wars, but is missing a sophisticated look on his rifle and a laser pointer.

Jw0iPcs.jpg
Civilian vehicles were designed in the same style as the ones in Tiberium Wars...

IG274Dk.jpg
...and so were bridges.

EALA apparently knew more about C&C lore as some might think. ;)

ENTRY 17 - June 8th, 2013
CUT GENERALS
Three generals from the vanilla C&C Generals 1 version that was developed by Westwood have residual images in the game files.

[iMAGE REMOVED]
Bradley, the US tank general, a spiritual predecessor to the Chinese Ta Hun Kwai.

[iMAGE REMOVED]
Thorn, the US special forces general. He might have inspired Mercury Red from C&C F2P.

[iMAGE REMOVED]
Griffon, the US air force general, the predecessor to Malcolm Granger.

There are also some more generals that were cut, but do not have visual depictions either: Ironside (US boss general), Chen (Chinese Red Army/infantry general), Jin (Chinese People's Police general) and Kurtz (African faction general).

It should also be noted that Mohmar was supposed to be the GLA boss general and was intended to appear in skirmish/multiplayer and Generals' Challenge, but was narrowed down to a campaign role.

UPDATE FROM JUNE 15th: The images previously shown here were from the Generals 1 multiplayer ranking system and have been misplaced on the EVA Database. I apologise for the misinformation.

ENTRY 18 - June 9th, 2013
JOHNWE AND TCN
For those of you who don't know, the Tiberium Control Network is a system built by GDI and Nod in C&C 4 to control the spread of Tiberium, imagined by Kane. The strange part of it is the actual author of the technology: Abbot John W.E. Vladislav. He did it by reversing Scrin technology and also contributed in making the SG-11 Salamander. Guess our biggest C&C fan got a long way in Nod's ranks...

Click here if you don't trust me ;) (note: only the text is preserved, so the site has barely any HTML coding stuff and you need to scroll on)

You know what I loved about C&C4, how they didn't explain anything about anything in the damn game. :)

• Upvote 1

ENTRY 19 - June 10th, 2013
LEOPARD TANK

The Crusader Tank was a cut USA vehicle from Generals 1. It was capable of travelling both with its treads and through hovering (when upgraded.
CNCG_Crusader_Beta_%28Leopard%29.png
GensZHCrusaderHover.png

More info here.

eewww... glad this was cut.

Wouldn't judge the model itself, it was WIP and the LOD was low compared to what it might have looked like in the final version. Still, the paintjob is a strange choice to say the least.

ENTRY 20 - June 11th, 2013
RED ALERT 2 BETA VIDEO FOOTAGE
There is a very small number of people who have seen actual RA2 beta footage other than the screenshots. Let us now change that, shall we? I'm sharing several rare videos:

E3 2000 footage:

Pre-release:

Demo from Collector's Edition DVD: (notice some different unit looks and similar goodies)

Trailer:

Making of:

Make some popcorn and enjoy :)

Those old style nuclear explosions looked better, I wonder why they changed them...

Something tells me we going to need a modified version of RA2 one day if excellent quality videos from the RA2 Collector's Edition DVD are to be included, because the original videos from RA2 are not of 480p quality.

Edited by zocom7
  • Downvote 2

Do you SERIOUSLY think HD existed in 2000?

• Downvote 1

ENTRY 21 - June 12th, 2013
MEGAN
According to Adam Isgreen, Tanya was supposed to have a companion in Red Alert 1. She was called Megan, an ex-IRA demolitionist and stealth unit, thus being of opposite nature than Tanya's.

but tanya blew stuff up, I guess she wasnt stealth but did she have invisibility or something?

but tanya blew stuff up, I guess she wasnt stealth but did she have invisibility or something?

what-did-you-just-say.gif

Tanya should have got a cyborg dog like the Russia commando did.

I think the point was that her bombing ability would've been moved to that second unit.

And no, Tanya did not have any kind of invisibility. The only cloaking in RA is the submarine effect anyway, meaning it makes that silly submerging sound.

ENTRY 22 - June 13th, 2013
BULL
CNCTW_Bull_Render.png
The Bull was a cut vehicle from Tiberium Wars which sports a similar appearance to the Predator Tank and uses the Mammoth Tank's treads. It appeared in The First Decade poster, but did not pass the concept stage.

It was to be revived in TIBERIUM, but it was cut along with the game. The TIBERIUM version was lightweight enough to be airdropped by Ironside Transports.

Do you SERIOUSLY think HD existed in 2000?

The technology to record and display 1920 x 1080 (1080p) video existed in the 1980's :P

My brother had a monitor that could display 1600 x 1200 resolution in 2002.

Edited by Tore

But was it widely used? :unsure:

• Downvote 1

It was widely used in the digital/media industry, but not by consumers. If I remember correctly "Star Trek The Next Generation" was filmed with 4k cameras and that was in the early 90s.

Edited by Tore

Home media users did not have access to this at the time. Although I do not have the RA2 Collector's Edition disc (though I would like to), I can tell that DVD support on PCs was still new and Westwood was not ready to create a super-over-par-quality DVD (hint hint, VG)

PC's have supported DVD disks since 1995. Though it was a mess until the 2000's due to different conflicting DVD standards and hardware such as MPEG accelerator cards.The same applied to DVD players.

It wasn't widely used by consumers until at least 2004/2005.

DVD's can't contain a lot of HD footage (720p/1080p) hence why they commonly feature enhanced definition (ED) footage (480p).

But this is getting of track. I just wanted to point out that resolutions higher and similar to "HD" have existed longer than most people think. and has been commonly available to PC users for a long time.

(Even some DOS games had 1024x768 display modes.)

Edited by Tore
  • Upvote 1

ENTRY 23 - June 14th, 2013
ALIENS FROM TIBERIAN DAWN
oldcnc.jpg
Tiberian Dawn is known to have a strange tile with a crashed aircraft. There've been many speculations on what this was, with the most popular theory being the one that says it is the earliest Scrin appearance in C&C lore.

Although the question of that crash tile is still not answered, we do know that aliens were supposed to appear in Tiberian Dawn, at least according to concept art.

CNCTD_Alien_Probe.jpg
This quasi-infantry unit is logged as an Alien Probe, capable of firing narrow plasma beams, possibly filling the anti-infantry role.

So, if anyone says TD has Scrin, don't try to correct him ;)