Sign in to follow this  
Plok

AGMLauncher from GameReplays Joins Victory Games

The global administrator of GameReplays.org, Jon "AGMLaucher" LeMaitre, joined Victory Games earlier today and will be filling a role in the design team. There is an interview on the official forums, and here's an excerpt:

bHxRSpz.png

Jon, could you please introduce yourselves to our Community?
My name is Jon LeMaitre, and I may be better known within the community as AgmLauncher. I’m originally from the east coast of the US, and recently moved here to California for this amazing opportunity. While my background is in web design/development, I have a borderline unhealthy passion for the Command & Conquer franchise. I play C&C games almost exclusively, but I’m a rabid fan of the RTS genre as a whole.

(...)

What are your key responsibilities working with the design team?
My primary responsibility on the design team is to reinforce the Command and Conquer culture, and to pay attention to the little things. Details matter, and as such I will be helping to make sure the details are true to Command and Conquer’s unique combination of fun, accessible, rich, and rewarding gameplay. This involves playing the game, discussing the direction and implementation details with the team, brainstorming and problem solving, and providing general creative input. As I become more familiar with the development tools used to make the game, I hope to assist the engineering team in the implementation of new ideas.

Click here to read more.

Sad day for C&C.

Congrats to Jon. I hope he makes a good use of this opportunity for him.

However, I am not a fan of him either. I disagree with most of his visions for C&C games, even for the multiplayer part of the game. Most of disagreements with him lies on:

- the way he seems to defend more symmetry for ballance. (things such as tournament maps, aka, symmetrical maps... that I'm deeply against it)

- he has always defended features to make the game more predictable, in order to achieve ballance (i.e.: MCV reveals the map, features that turns scouting merely a way to know the enemies rather than knowning where you are).

- also how building construction should be something rather trivial to add deeper levels of strategy. I'm seriously against any cheap dozers/builders or resource that allows multiples buildings to be constructed aty the same time or too fast. I think buildings are critical objects of the game, since your main objective is to destroy them (and you win the game by doing that, even if the enemy has a huge army of units left).

And not to say about his lovely and passioned instance at single player games (or how he would love to vaporize them from the game development process). That's pretty much it.

Edited by Banshee
  • Upvote 1

I know plenty of people dislike AGM but I think he'll be a positive influence on the multiplayer side of things. Hopefully he'll push the team more towards more 'competitive' gaming as opposed to 'randomness and luck'. As for the single player, yeah just keep him away from that hehe. :P

I know plenty of people dislike AGM but I think he'll be a positive influence on the multiplayer side of things. Hopefully he'll push the team more towards more 'competitive' gaming as opposed to 'randomness and luck'. As for the single player, yeah just keep him away from that hehe. :P

I understand what you want to say but there is a "slight" problem: they are not going to do different gameplay mechanics for MP, skirmish and SP. Everything what they do with MP is simply going to reflect on skirmish and SP.

Edited by mirza044

I met Jon at the C&C Summit in December 2012. You guys are judging his online persona only, you don't really know the guy, so your negative reaction to his addition to the team at Victory Games is just down right mean. AGM is very passionate about the franchise, he is also very knowledgeable. I think he's a great addition to an already good team.

I met Jon at the C&C Summit in December 2012. You guys are judging his online persona only, you don't really know the guy, so your negative reaction to his addition to the team at Victory Games is just down right mean. AGM is very passionate about the franchise, he is also very knowledgeable. I think he's a great addition to an already good team.

Yes, we are "mean", and he is a very nice guy who just happens to write very aggressive and offensive forum posts and comments toward anybody who don't share the same opinions as him.

Yes, we are "mean", and he is a very nice guy who just happens to write very aggressive and offensive forum posts and comments toward anybody who don't share the same opinions as him.

i dont know this guy, and i dont care about this guy anyways, i will just say a general "psychological" idea here...

most of the times people behave online the way they are offline! and in most cases without any "limit" to how arrogant they can be, because they feel safe hiding behind a monitor.

in a real world conversation this guy will have 80%+ all the same basic characteristics but will be more watchful of the language and tone he is going to use. :rolleyes:

but on the other hand a text can be easily misread since there is no tone, no feeling no eye contact, and people most of the time are read comments more aggressive than they where meant to be! :(

if he is the kind of guy that reacts online as @mirza044 says, he will be mostly the same guy and offline, but a bit easier to approach.

Also because @Sonic you meat this guy for what? 1-2 days? maybe hours? you cant possible know all the aspects of his personality :rolleyes:

Finally remember, the point here is not if he is a "bad personality or not", as long as he has something really valuable to add to this game he is a great addition, just keep him away from the community :P

still is very rare and strange that they picked a guy with just C&C knowledge to be hired in the dev team.... i am sure they are among us even "better" or more knowledge candidates that are even more interested to work in the video game industry, and that they may have also development skills and not just been "famous" from a website. :rolleyes:

and since i don't wish my comment to be read as a jealous message, i among many really feel envy of this guy at the moment, in a good way, but i am not gonna hate him, just because he was "lucky" enough to get a position most of us dream of! so lets not jump into conclusions.

GL to him, well done, and i hope he is indeed useful! That's all i care about, THE GAME! ;)

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Personally i don't give... an attention to this. :P

Guy have been selected in some way to - basically - do all the stuff, that noone wants to. Really? To reinforce the Command and Conquer culture - does he mean whole plot or what? Isn't the new, brand C&C going to be mostly focused on MP with lack of SP? About what culture does he talkin' about? The whole game is totally different to it's predecessors. What does he define as "C&C culture"?

This interview only tells me, that he's working in Victory Games, because he was unemployed -.-

Details matter, and as such I will be helping to make sure the details are true to Command and Conquer’s unique combination of fun(...)

So, by his inclusion of "culture", the whole game is going to be "unique"? My main charges to this interview - not him - are:

• What DO YOU describes as "C&C culture"?
  • How this "culture" - which somehow is related to details - is going to make game more "unique (...) fun, rich, accessible and rewarding"?

I don't accuse this man for anything, but his statement is so enigmatic, that could fit even for rally of snail friends.

Edited by Traymen