Plok

Official C&C Website Redesigned

The official C&C website at www.commandandconquer.com has been redesigned once more. The visual design itself is more advanced than it was before, and some of the most noticeable changes are more (yet still scarce) information on C&C - Free To Play, as well as video and screenshot sections. However, the forums were completely missing at the time of posting this news and were inaccessible even through visiting direct links accessed before. All information on EALA games' ladders and legacy games is also gone, however this all can be considered a WIP period. Here's part of EA_CIRE's statement:

sv2GLLu.jpg

(...)While the old website did its job in terms of displaying some content and having a forum, it never did a good job in general while also leaving us behind with a big "What could we do if we had..." list We screamed for a more flexible and powerful system that we can easily grow to become the number one destination for our players.

And that is where our completely new website comes in. Being built up from scratch, we now have the power to incorporate features we always wanted - essentially building out a single web destination for our fans to consume and experience various kinds of new content.

Today marks just the beginning for our new website, establishing a basic experience including Blogs, Forums, a Unified Account System and a Media Section. The website will grow with the new Command & Conquer in terms of content and functionality.(...)

Click here to visit the website now. You can also read EA_CIRE's full statement here.

UPDATE (June 7th): The forums are back online.

If previous VG iterations of the website weren't proof that the team has very lousy webmasters, this one surely is.

Can't open official forums anymore, it just redirects to main page

Can't open official forums anymore, it just redirects to main page

that was always a problem with the forums they had since teh red alert 3 redesign!

when you try to login from the main website it doesnt and gets you back to the webpage!

i had to go to the forums and login from an otehr link and then it stayed on the forum paged.

also cookies etc was cleaned.

or maybe they just haven finished that section yet.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

I mean, I can't open forums at all, logged or non-logged, no matter, it just redirects to main page

Also it's funny that Victory Games logo links to BioWare official site, when BioWare is not near Victories anymore

Edited by Existor

New official C&C forums is possible at this point of time (and I hope they keep the archived ones transferred to the new forum). Hopefully they should fix the login issue, editing post issue and of course it needs both the avatar and signature working. I wonder if EA will ever use IPB this time.

EA_Cire's statement of maintenance work is still WIP.

Edited by zocom7

Hey guys,

we ran into a major issue during the vBulletin transition - Therefore it will take a little bit longer until we can get the forums back up. Hopefully this will happen today :/

If an update so large is underway, maybe doing it in a separate computer or domain would be advisable to avoid annoyances such as this. And I think the forums aren't the only issue - the site itself has even less content overall than before!

It is a little bit more complex than that - In fact, we have done that, but ran into an issue with 3rd party software that we had no control over. The content will grow over time as we go - Number one objective here was to move the website to its completely new backend and IT infrastructure.

Everytime the design of the official C&C site changes, the content of the previous games reduce. Right now, there is nearly nothing about all previous games. There is no more downloads, (we used to be able to download patches, map editors, mod sdk, etc) there is only a small set of texts and images at the Ultimate Collection that barely says anything about these games. While I agree that the official site should promote the sales of the current/next Command & Conquer game, the Command & Conquer franchise has over 16 years of history that is barely being respected by at least the 2 or 3 latest editions of the official site.

Is it so hard to keep the previous news and content accessible somewhere, using the new layout?

And then, we have also the forum, which is another problem... since whenever it reboots/restarts, all data is lost. So, it's a kind of forum that we can't trust at all. I do trust much more that my posts and the data that I generated will survive much longer at the CNCNZ.com, Project Perfect Mod and other fan sites than at any Command & Conquer official website/forums.

where can I find info about C&C games other than the new f2p Generals 2? Honestly the site is a huge slap in the face towards any C&C fan and just exists to promote the newest games..

Contrast to websites/forums of other franchises/gaming companies, the sites are better and the forums are active supporting older games..

Edited by Iran

Look what Eric said guys, the content will grow over time no need to kick it in the backside straightway.

Looking great so far, vast improvement compared to the old design, that was terrible!

In fact, we are working on a cool way to worship our past - Should be done soon. And the forums will contain all your old posts as well!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In fact, we are working on a cool way to worship our past - Should be done soon. And the forums will contain all your old posts as well!

i hope so, having a rich in content website with downloads specially the patches etc its important, and please include the very old RTS that are FREE today.

also maybe its time to move on to something better than vBulletin? :rolleyes:

and one last think, when are you going to expect the COMMAND & CONQUER BEYOND THE BATTLE: PART 2 :) ???

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Thank you for your comprehension :)

i hope so, having a rich in content website with downloads specially the patches etc its important, and please include the very old RTS that are FREE today.

also maybe its time to move on to something better than vBulletin? :rolleyes:

and one last think, when are you going to expect the COMMAND & CONQUER BEYOND THE BATTLE: PART 2 :) ???

going through your bulletins:

1) Patches will come with the C&C Legacy portion of the website

2) Unfortunately, there is not much out there that has been approved by our Security team - And I rather go with vB than JForum :P

3) That will be a few weeks, as E3 is coming :)

2) Unfortunately, there is not much out there that has been approved by our Security team - And I rather go with vB than JForum :P

Oh, come on, Eric. You know what happened with the vBulletin forum software earlier. Every time one thing in the forum changes, others get affected and they don't work. It never happens with Invision Power Board. As of today, this CNCNZ forum is still far better than most other C&C forums.

Edited by zocom7

thanks for the update, but i will have to agree with @zocom7 on the subject forum!

should not be vbuletin or Jforum! its not fair! :P Invision Power Board here is workign fantastic for a very long time now, and i dont think is more security risk than the vbulleting!

after all vbulleting doesnt provide us with nothing, and thats on perpuse, so how security risky can be a forum when you cut off 90% of its features :rolleyes: ?

enought with the complains thought......(for today)

i really cant wait for new footage from E3 2013.........damn too bad i dont leave in the states :(

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Be lucky you got forums if at all. C&C could have gone the way of battlelog and have it's forum structure instead. Problems arise no matter how prepared you are when doing big upgrades like this. 3rd party software(if any) can rear it's ugly head at any point and make something simple turn complicated within a matter of minutes. When I'm not a volunteer moderator on the Official C&C forums my main job is in Server Infrastructure/ IT. I maintain a lot of servers and deploy new servers and different types of new architectures that clients develop and almost always something in the system doesn't talk with each other correctly.

You can isolate the upgrades and find no problems but when you do the initial job which affects everything it's almost a guarantee something will give you the middle finger and not cooperate as it should.

I'm in constant contact with Eric(EA_CIRE) on a daily basis. What was explained to me yesterday is no quick and easy fix. I will just leave it at that :).

On the bright side, Shorty can't deface or spam up the forums when they're offline :D

Be lucky you got forums if at all. C&C could have gone the way of battlelog and have it's forum structure instead.

Seeing how it's Origin-based, it wouldn't be a very wise move of Victory Games if they'd gone by that one, as many C&C community members despise these constantly rising Origin merges. Less community members on the forums means less interest and feedback. The smaller the interest and feedback are, the smaller are the chances of the game's success.

On the bright side, Shorty can't deface or spam up the forums when they're offline :D

You never know... ;)

Oh, no! -_-

Somehow CNCGeek101 made his way into this forum. Well.... welcome to CNCNZ, CNC_Tethis.

Have to agree on the vBulletin part, they've gone down hill, customer service and especially with their latest update. IPB is my personal preference. Adding to that, IPB 4 should be something to look forward to.

Edited by neogrant

Seeing how IPB 3 has a lot of issues right now, I'd take that announcement cum grano salis, but it is still my personal preference alongside phpBB. IPB 3 has proven to upgrade from IPB 2 without any major issues right here on CNCNZ.com a good while back and the updates themselves never crash the database or cause Scrin invasions.

Oh, no! -_-

Somehow CNCGeek101 made his way into this forum. Well.... welcome to CNCNZ, CNC_Tethis.

I've lurked but never made an account to post here until today. Generally, I read various forums without ever posting.

IPB 4 will have its teething problems, major updates will tho. This will be particularly hardcore since they're separating the apps into standalone products, i.e you won't need IP board as its core to use Gallery, Content, Blogs etc etc. (Not that it effects you guys). Also new markup, css, responsive framework (no mobile skin) according to the dev posts.

Biggest problem IPB has faced is using CKeditor, although again those bugs have started to fizzle out in 3.4.5.

I believe, from what I've seen IPB can upgrade from its very early versions to its latest without that many problems, they're good in that respect.

But yeah, vB over whatever jForum is...probably wise :P

Edited by neogrant