I've been browsing archived copies of the Next Generation online gaming magazine, and stumbled upon a preview of Counterstrike. The article is pretty short, but this little shot caught my attention:

cs4.gif

Close to the bottom left corner, there are what appear to be two Allied-owned Tanyas - but they have red hair. I don't think I've seen this shot before. It's most probably just an official (?) mock-up, but interesting anyway :)

Guest Rabbit

I find it equally interesting that the Soviets have both a gap generator, and AA gun, and rangers. And with the AA gun, they also have two SAM sites in close quarters.

Also, what a poorly thought out base. The construction yard is so blatantly exposed, and there's one advanced power plant rigged to the entire base. Why is that allied APC unloading outside the base? It could easily get in and steal that conyard if the tanks take the heat from the tesla coils.

I'd also really like to know what caused the minor damage to the barbed wire to the top right of the barracks. There's nothing that could have attacked that specific location, nor is there any reason for crossfire to land there. What gives?

Close to the bottom left corner, there are what appear to be two Allied-owned Tanyas - but they have red hair. I don't think I've seen this shot before. It's most probably just an official (?) mock-up, but interesting anyway :)

Megan?

I find it equally interesting that the Soviets have both a gap generator, and AA gun, and rangers. And with the AA gun, they also have two SAM sites in close quarters.

Also, what a poorly thought out base. The construction yard is so blatantly exposed, and there's one advanced power plant rigged to the entire base. Why is that allied APC unloading outside the base? It could easily get in and steal that conyard if the tanks take the heat from the tesla coils.

I'd also really like to know what caused the minor damage to the barbed wire to the top right of the barracks. There's nothing that could have attacked that specific location, nor is there any reason for crossfire to land there. What gives?

That's Westwood to ya ^_^

Oh my god, the original of that box shot? In original palette .gif, no less? I love you, man!

The Ranger coming out of the WF and the Mammoth Tanks is used as a background for the RA1 + expansions pack I have.

I've known about the red-haired Tanya, you can see it in some other screenshots.

Also note the small infantry, instead of the oversized normal ones.

This appears to be a beta screenshot as the tech trees hasn't been worked out yet.

It's also full 640x400, without UI.

A red-haired Tanya does not mean she looks like Megan Fox, Plokite. :P But it looks like that re-modified commando with red hair.

This screenshot deserves to be in the Daily C&C Trivia.

A red-haired Tanya does not mean she looks like Megan Fox, Plokite. :P But it looks like that re-modified commando with red hair.

This screenshot deserves to be in the Daily C&C Trivia.

Not Megan Fox! THIS Megan. Thought you actually read the C&C trivia thread -_-

BTW guys, I just realized that the SAM sites have C&C sprites for the base, instead of the ones used in the final version of the game. But that shouldn't be surprising I guess.

Oh my god, the original of that box shot? In original palette .gif, no less? I love you, man!

I didn't know this shot was a rarity. Unfortunately, the other shots that come with the article aren't as interesting.

As a matter of fact, I decided to dig the Next Generation archived site a bit because of the StarCraft early shots in their previews:

StarCraft Preview (21/01/1997)

StarCraft Preview (10/04/1997)

StarCraft Preview (22/05/1997)

Unfortunately, the other shots that come with the article aren't as interesting.

Not quite. There's a Paradox icon in this one. Wonder what it does...

cs1.gif

Maybe that's just what they called it before they came up with chronoshift. That'd be my guess anyway.

Hmmm... apparently, they had a phase of sending beta RA1 shots as CS shots to magazines and websites. Who knows, maybe Paradox was of a somewhat different nature than Chronoshift?

Hmm, I was pretty certain that this shot was available from some official source, and indeed it is:

ftp://ftp.games.skynet.be/spool1/games/ftp.westwood.com/redalert/previews/scrnshot/game06.gif

What I failed to notice is that the version from the Next Generation site doesn't have the label underneath.

BTW, I just figured out that the redhead Tanya shot is indeed (partially) featured on some game covers, like this one or this one.

Another thing I just noticed, it seems that the Weapons Factory half-damaged frame is different from the final version too.

Plokite_Wolf: the chronosphere's original name is Paradox Device. The internal name of the building is still PDOX. It's just an old name, nothing more.

Anyway. I added the screenshot to Megan's page on the C&C Wikia :)

• Upvote 2

Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Yup, that's where I know it from. The back of the box, and the CD inlay image.

The bigger renders of the special units on this pic are pretty cool :)

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1222636725-00.jpg

Though I'd seen them before, on this pic:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncimg/redalert/ps_beta.jpg

Hmm. May be a misunderstanding from the MUTUAL Assured Destruction :P

yeah, it doesn't have that ingame.

In fact, the way the M.A.D. Tank is depicted on that cover suggests that the cylindrical thing is in the front of the vehicle, while in the actual game it's located in the rear both on the icon and on the sprite.