adityars

Command and Conquer HTML5 (browser version) - 0.7.7 released

Hey guys,

For those of you who have been following my project, I have recently released a new version of C&C-HTML5 (Play C&C in your web browser)

http://www.adityaravishankar.com/projects/games/command-and-conquer/

This version includes significant updates to multiplayer

- new maps, multiple speed while playing multiplayer.

post-8773-0-04016800-1372118037_thumb.png

- In-game and Lobby Chat

post-8773-0-39355900-1372118120_thumb.png

The game also includes a LOT of the units from the original (light, medium tanks, aircraft etc...)

post-8773-0-06495100-1372118186_thumb.png

I am still actively developing the project and adding new features/units/buildings regularly.

Please do check out multiplayer and let me know what you think.... no installation needed/no plugins needed... Just go to http://www.adityaravishankar.com/projects/games/command-and-conquer/ and click to play either single player or host/join a network game....

Feedback welcome :)

Aditya

• Upvote 2

Looks like your 4-wide bib under the airstrip still has some problems :P

Anyway, very nice to see this project continue! :)

There's a bug whenever you have a large group of troops attacking and some of them are circling around doing nothing especially when you have an engineer trying to capture a building.

The other part I have seen in C&C HTML5 in which I don't see in C&C Patch 1.06c is the placement of a built structure, similar to what Red Alert has.

As for game speed, I don't seem to see any major change even in the fastest speed.

• Downvote 1

The other part I have seen in C&C HTML5 in which I don't see in C&C Patch 1.06c is the placement of a built structure, similar to what Red Alert has.

Um, what? Are you trying to suggest features for my patch in the discussion thread for this remake?

Because that's not only completely irrelevant and off-topic here, but it's also not going to work. C&C1 is C&C1. Remakes can do whatever the hell they want, but I'm not changing any gameplay behaviour with my patch.

Looks really great. I saw this on reddit and hacker news too multiple times when earlier versions were released, like a lot of the commentators there I think your work is REALLY impressive.

This definitely deserves a news announcement on the CNCNZ.com frontpage.

Anyway, very nice to see this project continue! :)

Yep.... Still a work in progress...

Each time I add new features, I end up having to clean up bugs.... ^_^

I am currently working on adding AGT and Obelisk to multiplayer... :)

Will patch up some of these old bugs soon :)

There's a bug whenever you have a large group of troops attacking and some of them are circling around doing nothing especially when you have an engineer trying to capture a building.

As for game speed, I don't seem to see any major change even in the fastest speed.

Yep, The pathfinding is still a little clunky... :rolleyes:

The game speed should change, however with a lot of people, the computer speed becomes a bottle neck... The browser can't generate frames fast enough and so the speed drops down :(

Looks really great. I saw this on reddit and hacker news too multiple times when earlier versions were released, like a lot of the commentators there I think your work is REALLY impressive.

This definitely deserves a news announcement on the CNCNZ.com frontpage.

Thanks !!! :)

Thanks !!! :):)

Patched it.... Will be out in next release....

The next release is going to have a LOT of new cool stuff...

Comm Center, Advanced Comm Tower, Advanced Guard Tower and ION Cannon For GDI

post-8773-0-41727100-1372308115_thumb.png

Comm Center, Temple of Nod, Obelisk and nuclear strike for NOD

post-8773-0-37421500-1372308125_thumb.png

@nyerguds ... I have a quick question about nuke strike... There seems to be a secondary explosion (5x5 grids) after a nuke strikes which also causes extra damage... Would you have any details on how I should implement those?

There doesn't seem to be enough detail in the ini files so I am not sure what I need to do.... Any help would be appreciated...

Played a bit, and other than a bit of a lag, the game has absolutely no issues that I see. Very good job there, especially with attempting to create realistic unit, building and Tiberium sizes ;) Keep it up!

@nyerguds ... I have a quick question about nuke strike... There seems to be a secondary explosion (5x5 grids) after a nuke strikes which also causes extra damage... Would you have any details on how I should implement those?

Actually, there is only one explosion, but the way spread damage works seems to be by fading out towards the edges, so I think the nuke does the most damage in the center, and less as it goes towards the edges of its 5x5 area. I'm not entirely sure about this, though. Maybe CCHyper knows more about that.

Superweapons aren't in the ini files because they are actually just animations with special code to do damage, rather than actual fired weapons. This means that in any "play animation" function in the game, if you set it to play the ion cannon or nuke animation, it'll also do the damage. This is the way the demo trucks in Red Alert work; the nuke is quite simply set as explosion to play on the unit's death.

Actually, there is only one explosion, but the way spread damage works seems to be by fading out towards the edges, so I think the nuke does the most damage in the center, and less as it goes towards the edges of its 5x5 area. I'm not entirely sure about this, though. Maybe CCHyper knows more about that.

Superweapons aren't in the ini files because they are actually just animations with special code to do damage, rather than actual fired weapons. This means that in any "play animation" function in the game, if you set it to play the ion cannon or nuke animation, it'll also do the damage. This is the way the demo trucks in Red Alert work; the nuke is quite simply set as explosion to play on the unit's death.

Check out this video here ...

I am sure there is something extra happening after the initial explosion...

Also, right now I am calculating spread damage by halving damage every spread pixels (based on something I read in the RA.ini file.. Does C&C use the same calculation???)

The damage from my nuke is not the same, but I can't tell what is off.... Is the nuke in C&C a little stronger than the nuke in RA?? What is the value of damage? I am using 1000 damage with a spread of 8.. Is that correct???

By the way, the latest update (0.7.8) has everything added, so go check out the multiplayer to see what I have done so far... :)

In what is probably the biggest and most anticipated C&C-HTML5 update this year, v0.7.8 is now out...

This release includes A LOT of new features including

- Communications Center

- RADAR/Minimap

- Advanced Guard Tower

- Advanced Communications Center

- Obelisk of Light

- Temple of NOD

- Nuclear Strike

- MCV can now be constructed

- Recon Bike

In addition this release includes several significant bug fixes including

- Harvester sometimes getting stuck

- Sync related fixes

- Building construction related bugs

Refresh the browser to make sure you have the latest version and give the game a shot

As always, please check it out and report any bugs... Beta testers are requested to send me saved replays (preferably both players) as needed....

ENJOY!!! And thanks for all your amazing support...

1049282_484999794911799_1080668698_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Check out this video here ...

I am sure there is something extra happening after the initial explosion...

Ohh, that. Ingame, it gives a huge white flash, that's all. The flash just cranks up the brightness, while technically pausing the game. You really just have to see that ingame, since the fact it "pauses by using up all CPU" means the recording app didn't catch it on that video, and just continued after the flash was over.

The flash does not occur in multiplayer, though, so it's an optional little effect.

Also, right now I am calculating spread damage by halving damage every spread pixels (based on something I read in the RA.ini file.. Does C&C use the same calculation???)

Do note that the most commonly evaluated nuke in RA, being the multiplayer one, only does 300 damage.

Ohh, that. Ingame, it gives a huge white flash, that's all. The flash just cranks up the brightness, while technically pausing the game. You really just have to see that ingame, since the fact it "pauses by using up all CPU" means the recording app didn't catch it on that video, and just continued after the flash was over.

The flash does not occur in multiplayer, though, so it's an optional little effect.Do note that the most commonly evaluated nuke in RA, being the multiplayer one, only does 300 damage.

Apart from the flash, there is also a series of smaller explosions....Something like frag1 ... Seems to occur randomly within a 5x5 grid.... I couldn't figure out the right way to recreate them and make them look nice... :)

Also, can you confirm the damage and spread values for the nuke for C&C-1? I think my spread is too low, and the nuke seems to take out a cons-yard, which seems a little too strong and is devastating for multiplayer :(

Dude, this is so awesome. Thanks for sharing this work of yours to us... :)

Thank you.. Glad you are enjoying it. The current version now includes pretty much ALL the building and units from the original game...

I am currently working on adding alternative multiplayer game types - 2v2, capture the flag, as well as the ability to SPECTATE and watch other people's games. (We already have the option to view game replays with fast forward and resume from mid game)

Just played the game some more, this time with GDI.

Humvees can get stuck between trees and go left-right in place like in Red Alert 2:

JoqLbgm.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think the lag has been reduced since I last played it.

Apart from the flash, there is also a series of smaller explosions....Something like frag1 ... Seems to occur randomly within a 5x5 grid.... I couldn't figure out the right way to recreate them and make them look nice... :)

In that video that's just the exploding grenadiers and buildings. The nuke itself just leaves scorch marks.

Also, can you confirm the damage and spread values for the nuke for C&C-1? I think my spread is too low, and the nuke seems to take out a cons-yard, which seems a little too strong and is devastating for multiplayer :(

Uhh, of course a nuke takes out a conyard... in single player that is. As I said, in multiplayer the damage is only 300, not 1000.

The nuke in RA1 is hard-coded to do more damage and/OR have more spread/range in single player than in skirmish. Like I said before you're doing great work and I'm happy you're working on replicating C&C1 behavior. There's lots of small details that one has to reckon with so I suggest adding all the big features first and then refining things later.

What is on your to-do list still? I was wondering how you're importing the maps, are you using the original map files with the same terrain info and scripts/triggers?

Edited by Iran

Are tou aiming recreating the game exactly, or make it seems more real? if you are trying to make it exactly like the original C&C, there are some things that you may consider:

- Vehycles moviment seems too much perfect, take a look at the original game to see how odd it is :P

- Only the right door of barracks is used. :P

- In original game, you CAN build in the fog of war, even if you didn't killed it. :P

• Upvote 1

Just played the game some more, this time with GDI.

Humvees can get stuck between trees and go left-right in place like in Red Alert 2:

I'm not sure, but I think the lag has been reduced since I last played it.

I've definitely done a lot of optimization to improve the game performance... Glad it's noticable :)

In that video that's just the exploding grenadiers and buildings. The nuke itself just leaves scorch marks.Uhh, of course a nuke takes out a conyard... in single player that is. As I said, in multiplayer the damage is only 300, not 1000.

Oh ok.... That's a relatively simple fix then... Will get to it :)

The nuke in RA1 is hard-coded to do more damage and/OR have more spread/range in single player than in skirmish. Like I said before you're doing great work and I'm happy you're working on replicating C&C1 behavior. There's lots of small details that one has to reckon with so I suggest adding all the big features first and then refining things later.

What is on your to-do list still? I was wondering how you're importing the maps, are you using the original map files with the same terrain info and scripts/triggers?

I recreate maps using my own custom built code that converts the ini files to a JavsScript format that I can use.... I still have to do a lot of work to translate the triggers though... In fact the triggers are the reason I haven't converted all the single player maps yet... It's a lot of work :(

942665_487666147978497_1323206191_n.jpg

My to do list includes this list of differences (http://www.adityaravishankar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18&p=60#p60) and adding a few NEW features

1. Team Death match, Cooperative Single Player and Capture the Flag modes for multiplayer

2. AI Skirmish Mode (though I have to write this from scratch, so it feels a little difficult right now...)

3. Multiplayer "spectating games"

Are tou aiming recreating the game exactly, or make it seems more real? if you are trying to make it exactly like the original C&C, there are some things that you may consider:

- Vehycles moviment seems too much perfect, take a look at the original game to see how odd it is :P

- Only the right door of barracks is used. :P

- In original game, you CAN build in the fog of war, even if you didn't killed it. :P

A few other hard-core players have been giving me feedback like http://www.adityaravishankar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18&p=60#p60 .... So I do have decent list of corrections to work towards in the short term....

It seems a little sad, to remove my nice movement/ai code and put the slightly awkward code from original C&C, but I might end up having to do just that sometime in the near future :D

As I said before, this is a work in progress.. :)

Edited by adityars

Is that the tile passability filter of XCC Editor? Because it's WAY off in a lot of cases. My tilesets.ini has the correct information.

Is that the tile passability filter of XCC Editor? Because it's WAY off in a lot of cases. My tilesets.ini has the correct information.

Yes.. I export it from XCC and use a color lookup to mark tiles as un-passable... I'll take a look at your tilesets.ini file...

A lot of those cliffs are completely incorrect. All the basic cliff pieces are 2x2 impassable blocks.

After someone on the CnC-Comm forums got deeper into a lot of aspects of the game, I took a better look at the code that makes the nuclear explosion do its damage.

The results were quite unexpected.

It seems the nuke damage is 1000, but I didn't know its warhead was #4... that's "SUPER" (100% vs everything).

The multiplayer behaviour seems to give the nuke a damage of only 200 (and not 300 as previously thought), and the Fire warhead.

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?board=88.0

All of these topics made by peterthepigeon seem to have quite some interesting new information.

This is really, really bizarre information, by the way, because my tests showed a medium tank (400 HP) to be damaged to 50% (or 1/3rd, not sure) after a direct hit from a nuke. This totally doesn't stroke with this info, meaning it probably once again boils down to the mysterious spread logics -_-