Sign in to follow this  
fir3w0rx

My Generals/ZH is choppy (but not laggy)

Problem:

Everything runs at perfect speed, but every 5 seconds or so, the game totally freezes for about half a second, like as if it's skipping some frames, then goes back to perfect speed again.

Observations:

-I have GenTool 6.2 installed and I have "upload mode" turned OFF and FPS Limit is also OFF, but It was doing this before I installed GenTool.

-Every other C&C game that was made before and after Generals/ZH runs perfectly fine on the highest settings and highest resolutions. I even have StarCraft 2 - WoL running on the HIGH setting and 1920x1080 reso without any choppiness or lag.

-This happens in single-player mode in both campaigns and skirmish. I haven't tried online multiplayer yet.

Things that I've tried:

-lowest in-game settings

-Win XP SP3

-running as admin

-"Run in 256 colors" (this setting worked perfectly for a few weeks but suddenly started getting choppy again, I'm guessing it's an auto-update on my PC maybe?)

-"Disable visual themes"

-exception added to firewall

-disabled all advanced 3D settings in my graphics card settings and changed it from "quality" to "performance" mode

-disabled UAC

-disabled Aero

-graphics card driver updated

-lowered game AND desktop resolution to 1024x768

-changed color depth from "Highest (32-bit)" to "Medium (16-bit)"

-scanned entire PC with latest Norton and Windows Defender - no virii found.

-run it in Windows XP mode (virtual machine)

Things that I have NOT tried yet:

-go to my garage and pull out my old Win XP computer :P

My specs:

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1 (legit, not pirated)

-Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 960 @ 3.2GHz 3.19GHz

-Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB

-GForce GTX 580

-900 watt power supply

Game Versions:

-Generals v1.08

-Zero Hour v1.04

I have tried the TFD versions (legally purchased) and downloaded ISOs.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Btw, does anyone else here have the same problem?

Edited by fir3w0rx

I believe this is a usual thing in Generals. I've also had that in Emperor: Battle for Dune in a somewhat worse edition, so it's likely an engine derp.

I believe this is a usual thing in Generals. I've also had that in Emperor: Battle for Dune in a somewhat worse edition, so it's likely an engine derp.

But I got it working perfectly for a few weeks using the 256 color setting. Also, I've seen YouTube videos of Generals ZH gameplay (single and multiplayer) without this problem. With all due respect, I hope you're wrong because this is really annoying :D

It occurs when there's a trillion units on the map and many of them are currently in your area of view, so I don't know about those videos - maybe they just weren't spamming in fear :D

Guest Henry Kelsall

I have the same problem, even when it is just me, a worker and a command center on my own!