Sign in to follow this  
Breathe-0ut

Chat Box or IRC

Neither. Yet, at least.

EDIT: We *could* use an IRC, IMO... would be fun.

Sorry we don't and there no plans for either to be added.

None of the C&C forums around the community I know have those features.

A chat or IRC could be fun, but it's better to do it in a social networking site or a cloud program.

None of the C&C forums around the community I know have those features.

Revora has a chatbox. IRCs are found on CnCNet, BHP, Mental Omega, MPF... Then it seems you know little about other community forums.
  • Upvote 1

Revora has a chatbox. IRCs are found on CnCNet, BHP, Mental Omega, MPF... Then it seems you know little about other community forums.

Even though I seldom went to other C&C forums, back then there weren't any chatboxes and IRCs. Revora's recent chatbox that I know of is a public shoutbox in which posts/messages are similar to how users post in Twitter or Facebook, but I prefer a private chatbox. At least Sonic is right about one thing, there's no need for a chatbox and an IRC here.

Even though I seldom went to other C&C forums, back then there weren't any chatboxes and IRCs. Revora's recent chatbox that I know of is a public shoutbox in which posts/messages are similar to how users post in Twitter or Facebook, but I prefer a private chatbox. At least Sonic is right about one thing, there's no need for a chatbox and an IRC here.

That must have been many years ago as C&C Comm has had a chat since it started almost 6 years ago: first AJAX Chat and now the CnCNet IRC rooms.

Edited by Tore

I see no point in adding any such features like a chat/shout boxes. I don't like stuff that detracts from the actual forums. As I've mentioned in the past I even hate the damn Status Updates http://forums.cncnz.com/statuses/all/. Chat/shout boxes don't belong on forum. The discussions are meant to take place in the multitude of forum topics. There are many other ways to chat in real time via the internet anyway.

Guest Rabbit

If I may, I honestly think that a chatbox would actually be a suitable side (or replacement) to the status updates. While I agree with you in that most of our conversations should take place in the forums, the chatbox is a good way to ramble off topic about things that don't necessarily require an entire post to do so. The status updates are, in some ways, the way to do that, but we still have odd limitations for that (don't post about things that could be in a topic, but at the same time, don't post about crap that doesn't belong here at all).

I personally think the chatbox could be a valuable tool for certain things. It would be a way to communicate with members who choose not to use personal messengers or communicate outside the forums, while at the same time providing immediate communication between groups (without having to rely on a personal messenger).

For some reason, I've never really thought it was a necessary item, but I honestly think it could be something that might actually provide for some entertainment here. Kind of like the social media integration. It's not something I personally think we need, but some people have adapted and registered to this site using their Facebook account, which shows that there is demand for it. It would be another way to gather attention to the site, even if you need a forum account to use it, and personally, I would actually propose that we test the concept, since it's never been done before here (aside from that community chat room that died years ago).

I personally wouldn't go for an IRC channel, but I think an integrated chatbox or shoutbox either under the status updates or replacing them might be an interesting idea.

I personally wouldn't go for an IRC channel, but I think an integrated chatbox or shoutbox either under the status updates or replacing them might be an interesting idea.

Yes Shoutbox indeed.

There is an official addon for IP.Board called IP.Chat, its free but only allows 5 users. So that's no good. If you want more than 5 users you have to pay for an extended license. Not to keen on that. More info here http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/chat/

It comes down to this, and I hate being so blunt, but really don't want anything like this on the forums. This has come up a few times in the past. I was reluctant to add such features in the past and nothing has changed.

So what's your decision, Sonic? Forum stays the same as it is for now?

• Downvote 1

Guest Rabbit

He was never planning on changing it in the first place.

I'm pretty sure his "decision" is obvious in his post. This was more of a thread talking about the topic, not exactly coming up with a conclusion.