Sign in to follow this  
Traymen

Half-Life "The big announcement"

http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/41097-The-Big-Announcement?p=494183

After nearly fifteen years in development as a mod for Half-Life, and with our final mod release out of the way, the Sven Co-op Development Team is incredibly proud to announce that we are now focusing all of our effort on our next big project. We've been granted access by Valve to work on our own custom version of the Half-Life engine!

The majority of readers are probably asking themselves, “As an alpaca rancher, why is this showing up in my search results?”, a question for which there is no easy answer.

The rest of you are probably asking, “What exactly does this announcement mean?”

• The next version of Sven Co-op will run as a standalone game using a custom build of the Half-Life engine.
  • The game will be FREE for all Steam users, including the official Half-Life campaign (for 2+ player co-op play). A Half-Life purchase will not be required.
  • Automatic updates will be available using Steam's content delivery system dubbed SteamPipe. This will allow us to perform more frequent and rapid updates as needed.
  • Updates and new features will be added to the Half-Life engine, as well as a series of improvements to Half-Life's level editor called Hammer.
  • Increased Half-Life engine limits to allow for much larger and more detailed worlds.
  • Stability, performance, and gameplay improvements for everyone.

We are grateful beyond expression to Valve for their generosity and efforts put forth to make this possible. We’re looking forward to working with one of the greatest game engines ever made, and we can assure everyone that there are many, many more updates to come.

More news and progress updates will be posted in the near future, so keep a lookout.

Good news everyone! There is still a reason to breathe and live! :D

• Upvote 1

When I first read the headline, I thought Valve is going to announce Half-Life 3, but that's not it.

I am glad the dev team of Sven-Coop goes indie because I STILL have yet to play this awesome mod.

It's awesome that Half-Life will be free with Sven-Coop, but isn't about time Valve will make the original Half-Life 1 officially freeware because of this?

Edited by zocom7

When I first read the headline, I thought Valve is going to announce Half-Life 3, but that's not it.

I am glad the dev team of Sven-Coop goes indie because I STILL have yet to play this awesome mod.

It's awesome that Half-Life will be free with Sven-Coop, but isn't about time Valve will make the original Half-Life 1 officially freeware because of this?

They should do the same thing with Team Fortress Classic, since TF2 is freeware (mostly).

And for the record, Half-Life 3 is never going to be released. Im sure of that.

Neither are Portal 3 and Team Fortress 3. Why do you think Valve never comes to E3?

Guest Stevie_K

By the time we become old and our skin looks like grey beef jerky, we will enter forum threads with a title like this hoping for it to be the announcement Half-Life 3.

Sven-Coop is great fun though.

Misleading thread title is misleading. :nod:

Misleading thread title is misleading. :nod:

It's meant to be misleading just like tabloid headline :)

Edited by Traymen

Neither are Portal 3 and Team Fortress 3. Why do you think Valve never comes to E3?

Yup. It really is a conspiracy after all.

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy... I'd call it a situation where Gabe Newell missed the class when they learned number 3 in elementary school.

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy... I'd call it a situation where Gabe Newell missed the class when they learned number 3 in elementary school.

So can't they just make Half Life 4 then?

The most likely thing will be Half-Life 2: Episode 2: Chapter 1 :P

Plokite, didn't you know? 3 doesn't actually exist. We've all been brainwashed and only Valve knows the truth.

Yes, I know, but I'm trying to cheer people up here!

Yes, I know, but I'm trying to cheer people up here!

How can you even think about cheer when we're in the midst of a numerical conspiracy?!

The last thing we need right now is mass panic.

At least I don't want to see Half-Life 3 wind up like what happened to Duke Nukem Forever.