Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

Tiberium RPG Benchmark Test

Guest Rabbit

In designing some of the levels for the Tiberium RPG, I've come to realize that they are running quite smoothly on my main computer, which is more powerful, but there are some lags here or there on my much weaker laptop. Because of that, I wanted to perform a benchmark test to determine where everyone else is in terms of compatibility and power, so I know where to draw the line in terms of overloading your computers.

So, the following download is a benchmark test. It contains many of the files and scripts that are present in the current edition of my full RPG game, but it lacks the game mode itself. Unfortunately, to perform this full benchmark, you'll have to download a 200mb file.

Within this test there are 6 rooms to walk around in. Please take note of the performance of your computer within these rooms, and please review them by giving me a few details on each one. Also, the startup time might be a little iffy, too, for reasons I need to figure out. If you don't have any problems with this game, then that's a good sign.

When reviewing, please use the following format:

Startup:

Entry Room:

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

An example would be:

Startup: I had a little bit of lag just starting the game.

Entry Room: No problems, I could move around just fine.

1: No lag at all.

2: A little lag moving through lights.

3: No lag.

4: Extreme FPS loss.

5: Only lag near certain lights.

Here's the download link: TibRPG_Benchmark.zip

The controls are WASD, and the action key is Enter. Feel free to use the action keys on signs to get a basic description of the room.

Sorry it's not very entertaining, it's just a tool I want to use to see where everybody is at in terms of playability. The maps are very dull and there isn't really much to interact with, on purpose.

Smooth as a baby's bottom throughout the benchmark. However, I do have some comments on other things:

- the font used ingame is barely readable.

- running at fullscreen (in the options menu accessed by hitting F1) makes everything flicker annoyingly for no reason.

Tip for other testers: Hit F2 to see the current FPS rate.

I had no problems at all with lag, however, I did encounter some other issues with the second room (with the tib fields and cows).

First issue (possibly not related to how well the game is supposed to be running), the tiberium glow flickers. Flickering looks fine on other light sources that are presumably fires burning, but tiberium glow should be constant.

The other issue I encountered when testing the game a second time and upon entering the room, the game crashed with this message:

Script 'Light Effect' line 266: RGSSError occured.

A third test could not replicate the crash.

Guest Rabbit

the font used ingame is barely readable.

Any chance I can get a screenshot? The way it is built, it is set to load a specific font. If you do not have that font, it is supposed to default to a secondary font, then a terciary, then just plain arial.

running at fullscreen (in the options menu accessed by hitting F1) makes everything flicker annoyingly for no reason.

Yeah, this is probably the lights flickering. The effect of flickering is somewhat intentional, it is supposed to represent a lantern, but you couldn't actually see any lanterns in game, only the light effects that they would be attached to. I'll see what I can do about toning it down a little bit though.

the tiberium glow flickers. Flickering looks fine on other light sources that are presumably fires burning, but tiberium glow should be constant.

I agree. I have to figure out in the script where I can even adjust the flickering. I'm sure it's possible, but the script is long and doesn't seem to have any comments on how to change that particular aspect.

the game crashed with this message:

It seems like it had trouble loading the light effect. Was this at the beginning of the game or upon entering the room with the tiberium lighting effects?

Any chance I can get a screenshot? The way it is built, it is set to load a specific font. If you do not have that font, it is supposed to default to a secondary font, then a terciary, then just plain arial.

As far as I've seen from the game's files, you already get the font you need in the package.

oa4Onn0.png

Back to the unreadableness, here's the pic of what I see. Sometimes I must re-read something a few times to see where one word ends and the other begins.

BCjwqV1.png

Yeah, this is probably the lights flickering. The effect of flickering is somewhat intentional, it is supposed to represent a lantern, but you couldn't actually see any lanterns in game, only the light effects that they would be attached to. I'll see what I can do about toning it down a little bit though.

I should probably be more precise - the menu itself flickers.

Was this at the beginning of the game or upon entering the room with the tiberium lighting effects?

upon entering the room

I have to figure out in the script where I can even adjust the flickering.

If you feel like it, you could PM me the script. I am still no expert on them of course, but I am not as clueless as I used to be and I also probably have more free time to read through them.

As for the font, that's the same font you said you were planning on changing five months ago when I told you it was hard to read.

Guest Germany

Whelp, I guess we were on different pages then. This is the font I'm seeing.

upZYDg5.png

If at all possible, could you both add the following file into your fonts folder and tell me if it fixes your problem?

18thCentury.rar

I'm referring to the fonts folder within the game folder. If this still does not fix the problem, then it will require an installation of the font, which ultimately means I have to scrap the font because I don't want to have to force people to install a proper font to play the game properly.

In any case, I've eliminated the font in question from the game script so in any future builds it should not exist.

As for the menu flicker, I have no idea what you're talking about, I don't see that at all.

As for the light flicker, it's not something I'm having trouble with quite yet, I just haven't actually taken the time to look for the issue.

add the following file into your fonts folder and tell me if it fixes your problem

Yes, that did it.

If at all possible, could you both add the following file into your fonts folder and tell me if it fixes your problem?

Much better.

As for the menu flicker, I have no idea what you're talking about, I don't see that at all.

You probably didn't run it in fullscreen like I told you...

Guest Rabbit

Or maybe I did, because I was paying attention to the fact that you said it's only in full screen.

Nmenth, did you have this issue?

I didn't have any flickering problems in fullscreen. There is also a Reduce Screen Flickering option in the F1 menu, have you tried that to see if it does anything?

There is also a Reduce Screen Flickering option in the F1 menu, have you tried that to see if it does anything?

No dice.

Zee, perhaps you should make another version of this test game for Plokite_Wolf which is identical except you remove all of your added scripts to see if they are causing his issues or just the engine itself.

Guest Rabbit

I wish there was a way to see what kind of flickering he is experiencing.

I don't suppose you have any access to FRAPS?

I don't suppose you have any access to FRAPS?

I do, and I was lucky to be able to catch this issue.

However, Fraps makes this issue more erratic. At start, the thing flickers normally. Start recording and it will do so at a faster rate. Stop recording before the background image changes, it will stop flickering. The next background image comes, the flickering returns. Weird.

Also, I've once tested this beyond the menu, and it flickers ingame as well.

Wow, that's some bad flickering, I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. :blink:

Fraps makes it worse than it already is.

Guest Rabbit

So, Nmenth, I looked it up online, and while I already told Plokite Wolf over skype, it turns out it is a hardware acceleration issue. Apparently it just affects some people, and it is client related, not game related, so the vanilla program will cause the problems for him in fullscreen regardless of scripts or design.

Yeah, I kind of figured that would be the case.

Startup:

Started in windowed mode with a black screen. I couldn't see the menu or do anything. I hit ALT+ENTER and it went full screen, then I saw the menu for about a second and it automatically started a new game, probably because I pressed enter and didn't use the F1 options menu. No flickering or issues beside that wonky startup which was partly my fault.

Entry Room: No issues, smooth movement, sprinting is nice, fast and fluent. Controls very responsive.

1: No problems, runs great.

2: My monitor could be acting up again but I see a very very slight flicker effect on stationary lights and centered on tib fields.

3: Didn't see the exit door at first, dark tile. Flickering is hardly noticable, but I'm almost certain it's my monitor/graphics card issue which I've had for a long time now.

4: Very nice lighting effects.

5: Damn dog blocked my way for about 60 seconds heh. The Nod girl scared the crap out of me because her attack was the only sound I heard throughout the game (high volume).

In conclusion, no lag what so ever, everything ran smoothly and the Nod banners are awesome. :)

Played with the font fix.

Also, the last room could have had some indication that it was the last one, just a thought - I forgot there were only five and didn't keep count.

Guest Rabbit

How long was the black screen for everyone before the title screen actually showed up?

I'm going to make a small edit soon, so don't delete anything guys!

How long was the black screen for everyone before the title screen actually showed up?

For me, about 6-10 seconds.

I'm going to make a small edit soon, so don't delete anything guys!

Now you tell me, I deleted the game. Good thing I still have the setup...

I timed it at 16 seconds. Although I am running 50 million other things at the same time, so that might have made a difference.

Guest Rabbit

See, that's the strange thing. For some reason, this test version of the game starts after a significant delay, but in the normal full version, there's maybe just a couple seconds before the game starts. I'm really not sure why.

Guest Nachlos

Here's a miniature update, it just adds another room, which you can find EASILY on the last map.

It's just a final lag test.

Please extract all files to your Data folder. Overwrite anything that is prompted.

By the way, the last sign doesn't say anything, don't be surprised.

Data.rar