Sign in to follow this  
Breathe-0ut

Make Speed Stack cups glow again

I have some speed stacker cups that glow in the dark (Green) and their not glowing anymore. Yes they are old. If I put them over a light (Blue specifically) they start to glow again but only momentairly.

Anybody got some good ideas?

Guest Rabbit

This is most likely one of the strangest (and oddly specific) requests I've seen on this board.

Black lights will certainly help. If you have a black light and put something glow in the dark over it, it will glow brighter than it ever has before and it will stay alive for hours.

With that said, I've never really known glow in the dark things to "lose" their glow, but in any case, this should help.

Guest Stevie_K

I think most "glow in the dark" things loose some of their effect over time. My advice would be to leave them in the sun all day and see if that helps.

I doubt it would, the sun might cause more damage to what seems to be some pretty cheap quality phosphorescent paint.

A black light could provide ultraviolet light, but not the destructive, high-energy kind the sun would inflict.

Guest Stevie_K

It think it depends whether it's paint or the actual material that glows. I have a watch that glows in the dark. It seems to get 'supercharged' if I've been out in the sun all day.

I'm assuming it's cheap paint because it's losing its glow. And the sun will supercharge phosphorescent material due to the ultraviolet light, which is much better at exciting phosphorescent materials than visible light, but black lights are designed to only emit low-energy ultraviolet light which is far less destructive than the sun to... well everything.

Guest Stevie_K

I would try and Google it before purchasing a black light solely for this purpose.

Guest Rabbit

It will definitely work. Any black light will make a glow-in-the-dark material glow. There's nothing in particular to google, and I doubt he'll get a specific response about his cups.

Guest Stevie_K

Of course it will glow while exposed. But what I mean was that I don't know whether the amount of glow of the cups will be restored to, or come close to 'default' after exposure to black-light.

Edited by Stevie_K