Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Command & Conquer Premium Details

We may possibly have our first indication of what you could be potentially be paying for in the new Command & Conquer. The base game will and always be "free-to-play", but at some stage, you would expect a monetary charge for something. If you watched the gamescom Command & Conquer Demo Room Video we posted about earlier, you probably saw some ingame screenshots showing the Command & Conquer Premium options.

Awc77ra.jpg

The team at CnC-Inside.de have some extra info (in German), but from this we have learnt that Command & Conquer Premium will give you....

• 50% Bonus CP and XP
  • Queue for specific game mode(s)
  • Extra custom game options
  • Select map
  • Pick faction colour

It should be noted that we suspect that these premium features are a work in progress, but we can be sure there will be a premium service in the game. Hopefully, we will find out more about Command & Conquer Premium over the next few days.

Actually, me and Sybert were fooling around. We were kidding when we were talking with JVC and Sybert said we have to pay for premium before being able to pick our player color and select our map in the game lobby. It was a joke between us at the EA booth, I do not believe it is true. I'll ask JVC later today to confirm, but consider it a rumor for now.

Well yeah I'd say the premium features are placeholder stuff right now.

premiumfeatures.jpg

I don't want to pay to pick a map or faction colour.

I'm not sure if picking a faction colour was actually a feature in the game though. It seemed to be assigned automatically.

Though loads of stuff is still not in there. They're still tweaking the balance all the time, and only 3 generals were actually available as skirmish opponents, most probably because the others didn't have specific AI for their own tech tree implemented.

Maps were definitely selectable, though. In skirmish anyway. It's possible it was randomly selected in the quick game PvP feature. Not sure, I didn't play very much of those.

At the moment a map could not be played with less than its full amount of players, though, even forcing you to fill in all spots with AI in skirmish. But they specifically said that was done to test out the balance with the normal amount of resources per player, and was not intended as final mechanic.

---

On the premium stuff, I had the feeling they weren't quite sure what to do with it just yet. The bonuses were something they were definitely considering, but for the rest, it was all still kinda vague. On the note of buying stuff, though, they did confirm that extra generals would be among the unlockable / buyable content.

You could choose the player colour when you were on Custom Skirmish menu, Nyerguds. They also had a difficulty level option for AI that was disabled when we played.

Another thing is that the Generals that are unlocked by default are horrible. Any other General that you buy/unlock is far much better than the default ones.

Guest Rabbit

"These generals are so bad, you'll HAVE to buy more!"

I think the best way to go about it is to make basic factions (Like USA, GLA, APA), then you have to buy each general individually. Like in Zero Hour, you could play as either a general or the overall faction. Making the free generals crappy just to make you pay for the advanced ones is basically saying "hey, this game isn't very good, but if you pay, it will be better."

I get that you can play for a while to unlock more (instead of paying), but you have to give the players a reason to want to play (and pay!) in the first place.

Well, they freely admitted that the balance at the moment was not done, so some of these "bad" Generals being underpowered should be fixed.

Ballance is not finished but these Generals will not get top notch units such as Overlord (APA), Railgun Experimental Tank (EU) and whatever goodness that GLA has in its sleeves.

but these Generals will not get top notch units such as Overlord (APA), Railgun Experimental Tank (EU) and whatever goodness that GLA has in its sleeves.

Then what's their point? :P

They are the generals that you started it. So, the point is to force you to play like a freak to be able to buy better Generals or use your money to get better Generals. Either way, I'm not fan of this kind of thing.

Tell that to the dev team by posting about it on the official alpha forums. I myself have a few issues I'll post once I get to play it a little more. (notably the perk system)

I'll do a proper report there as soon as I can. I still have to finish my report about the game and the event for PPM first and I'm doing it very slowly. Also, I did not play the standard GLA general when I was at Gamescom or at least I do not remember doing that.