Sonic

UDLR's Top 5 Command & Conquer Titles

Just a few days ago, gaming blog UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT posted a list that shows their top 5 Command & Conquer titles. It's an interesting and possibly controversial pick for number one, that being Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, but it's really just one person's opinion.

gzZg071.jpg

1. Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
A controversial choice, I know. Tiberium Wars took the winning gameplay formula of Generals and added incredible atmosphere that betrayed the last truly great Command & Conquer title as a labour of love. The campaign was a revelation, the gameplay a pleasing mix of new and old and the extensive use of shaders and bloom effects made the game look amazing. Nothing here was new, everything had been borrowed from either previous Command & Conquer games or its RTS contemporaries, but the game always felt like more than the sum of its parts. Tiberium Wars never made any real impact as an e-sport, despite EA's pretensions to the contrary, as both the poorly implemented economy and the fact that late game units were able to steamroll bases in seconds meant the game was not well suited to competitive play. That said, for single player or casual multiplayer, Command & Conquer simply does not get any better than this.

The full top 5 is....

• Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert
  • Command & Conquer: Generals
  • Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

You will find the full article right here.

It's an interesting and possibly controversial pick for number one, that being Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, but it's really just one person's opinion.

I'm more concerned about no. 3 and no. 5. Gens shouldn't be there, while RA2 deserves a much higher position (1 or 2). At least the guy has shown some taste and set TW as no. 1 :P

I am surprised C&C3 is #1 in the list over Red Alert 1, but also surprised to see two unbalanced C&C games at #3 and #5. Red Alert 2 should be #3.

****ty list. C&C3 is garbage. Generals and RA2 should be on the top of the list followed by Red Alert 1 third.

****ty list. C&C3 is garbage.

I see no reason to hate it. Its multiplayer is far beyond every C&C game released thus far, while the campaign, although a bit glitchy regarding lore, is far more enjoyable than that of Tiberian Dawn.

Generals and RA2 should be on the top of the list followed by Red Alert 1 third.

RA2 yes, but what does everyone see in Generals?

Opinions are opinions, there is nothing to debate here.

Then why isn't the thread closed? :P

It can be discussed, but what is happing here is debate, as if one opinion is more valid than another.

In my opinion, the top five C&C games are:

• Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge
  • Renegade
  • Tiberian Sun/Firestorm
  • Generals/Zero Hour
  • Red Alert

The C&C3 campaign was generic garbage and the skirmish wasn't interesting; the article even mentions how the economy didn't work out in multiplayer games and how the late game units could level a base too quickly. Why do you think C&C3 is better than Generals?

Generals had it's fair share of large problems, first of all it isn't a C&C game and second of all the game and its expansion were rushed, but it has some really great multiplayer and its campaign has its charms (especially the GLA one). And of course Generals has some great mods.

Not meant to sound harsh towards you if it comes over that way.

Edited by Iran

Generals in my eyes wasnt a CnC game at the time, but then that game convinced me how deeply flawed CnC games were. Now I totally love that game. I even liked RA3 for the same principle.

Retreating units returning fire, supply docks with fixed money and harvest rates, symmetrical maps, unit production from individual buildings etc etc all things that wasn't CnC in my eyes, but now I think as mandatory in an RTS.

The new C&C seems to build on all those aspects while keeping a more simple feel (single income type, no unit limit, infantry squishing, garrisoning, superweapons) so I think I will like it.

Cant say Generals, RA3 or this new C&C is 'classic' or 'true' C&C gameplay, but IMHO, RA1, C&C gold, RA2 etc etc are nostalgic for a reason. The gameplay can still be fun in a pinch but its now extremely limited compared to the likes of Generals. For me however, it was the music ( <3 frank ), cutsceens and lore that made C&C what it was...

Tiberian Sun for the Dark atmospheric and story

Red Alert 2 for all units funny voices even tanya XD

Tiberium Wars for seeing tiberian universe in 3D

Renegade for deeply enter part of Tiberian universe

Generals/Zero hour just for fun

1. Red Alert

2. Red Alert ^_^

3. Tiberian Down

4. Tiberium Wars / Kane's Wrath

5. Generals / Zero Hour

6. Red Alert 3

Edited by Johnnyxp64

The C&C3 campaign was generic garbage and the skirmish wasn't interesting; the article even mentions how the economy didn't work out in multiplayer games and how the late game units could level a base too quickly. Why do you think C&C3 is better than Generals?

Generals had it's fair share of large problems, first of all it isn't a C&C game and second of all the game and its expansion were rushed, but it has some really great multiplayer and its campaign has its charms (especially the GLA one). And of course Generals has some great mods.

Not meant to sound harsh towards you if it comes over that way.

it rushed at the time because EA was collaborating with the States to try to let the players to have a taste of middle-eastern war in time before the real insurgence into Afghanistan began after 911.

yeah, we are all getting old.... not the mind though!! I think more CnC players are younger than we do these days :) Hell, I would put Tiberium Wars on the top myself, I started on Tiberian Sun, through Red Alert 2 and so on... I got a little confused in TS and migrated to Starcraft, starting interested in the Tiberium universe again at uni with TW, so yeah, I like TW a lot, though I would pretend the Scrin does not exist, and I rarely play as or against Scrin in skirmish mode, I just don't agree with them...

C&C1 was a SP revelation and my #1.

RA2 was the pinnacle of my LAN years and my #2.

I don't mind C&C3 high on the list, I'd probably put it #3 though.

It was bland but reliable & enjoyable and mostly faithful rendition.

(I nitpick over a lot things wrong in the game - but that's my job as a fanboy.)

I still feel more disappointed in Tib Sun than I ever did in Tib Twilight.

It just failed to live up to the hype... and there was a LOT of hype.

Those two will always be at the bottom of my list.

C&C1 was a SP revelation and my #1.

RA2 was the pinnacle of my LAN years and my #2.

I don't mind C&C3 high on the list, I'd probably put it #3 though.

It was bland but reliable & enjoyable and mostly faithful rendition.

(I nitpick over a lot things wrong in the game - but that's my job as a fanboy.)

I still feel more disappointed in Tib Sun than I ever did in Tib Twilight.

It just failed to live up to the hype... and there was a LOT of hype.

Those two will always be at the bottom of my list.

Since I started wtih Tiberian Sun first, so I would like to know how people who got introduced to C&C with the first game feel about, well, everthing really. May I ask do you still play C&C 1 from time to time, and do you still feel excited as you back in the days?? you see, for me, since I started with TS, I found myself difficult to communicate with the first game, the momentum is different, units designs are different, and of course the interface and its mechanics are different, things like 1 click at a time on units contruction, even for the infantry... so would be great if we can talk a bit of that, and menawhile, I will alway give it a try, may be one day, I might like it as you do :)

Yeah - I do think your first C&C experience is a really important one.

(Mine oh course was Dune II)

Your mention about features in TibSun, is why C&C3 is high on my list - because it has a lot of features that we think of as standard nowadays and why I suggest it's a good introduction.

(It is hard going backwards - feature wise - but truely good games will shine through with atmosphere and balance gameplay. Famous RA tank spam v War Factory that only produces one unit at a time... "it's a feature!")

But regarding C&C, I think I played the SP campaigns 2-3 years back - and it's mission design still holds up, and surpasses modern sp's today (IMO).

C&C3's gameplay and UI was nice. I loved how it basically mixed the sidebar from classic C&C with the multi-production Westwood used back in Dune II. The way they artificially limited build radius for multiplayer balance reasons though... that was a mess, and it made the campaign nigh-unplayable.

As for the campaign... story was kinda okay, except for Kane losing his Cool. Kane doesn't ragequit, he "planned it all along". ALWAYS.