Guest Rabbit

Victory Games to Close - Command & Conquer Cancelled

Guest Rabbit

Just moments ago, Eric "CIRE" Krause, the C&C community manager, posted on his Facebook wall that "Victory is no more." He quickly followed it up with "At least we came close to make a cool game" and posted this picture:

nYyLFCa.jpg

I, along with others on his feed immediately asked if this meant the game itself was actually cancelled, to which he replied:

"Yes, game is done over and out. Official goodbye blog post coming now."

Moments later, Eric posted this blog in reference to the shutdown. It's a quick read, but the part that stands out is the following:

Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it’s about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

What does this mean for the future of Command & Conquer? Who knows. At this point though, it really doesn't look very bright.

Game is cancelled already with the studio to shut down? No wonder why the new C&C game looks so bad already.

Here's another source: http://www.commandandconquer.com/en/news/1380/a-new-future-for-command-conquer

This is just the way how C&C dies.

I hope Trion's End of Nations isn't cancelled yet.

Edited by zocom7

Guest Rabbit

Yeah, I've posted that link in the news post already, probably while you were typing your reply.

I just think someone at corporate said "we need the game out and finished by this time, otherwise you're done."

Then, they posted those release dates, and decided they would try their hardest, but quickly took them down realizing that there was no way they could accomplish that deadline.

And viola, here we are, another shutdown.

Well if this is true, it's time for Sonic to move the C&C F2P forum section into the archives immediately.

It's no wonder those set of deadline dates failed and had the post removed:

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=936068

It's also explains why Mark Skaggs says their team is done when he posted:

http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/18377-thanks-for-playing-generals/

So much for this F2P method as a 10-year live service. I knew it's not gonna work. But at least some people were glad they got a much better C&C forums just a moment too late.

Here's the official article from Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-command-conquer-1454179860

Edited by zocom7

Ding-dong, the witch is dead...

Guest Rabbit

Rumors have it that the blog that was posted on the official site was not officially approved by the team. In the event it gets taken down, I have saved a copy here:

Generals,

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. It’s been much appreciated, and you’ve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldn’t be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it’s about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

- Victory Studios

Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play.

Took him a while.

• Upvote 1

I am about to agree with Commander McNash's comment from the official C&C forums:

I think they will go back to the 60 bucks one release model, more focused on single-player and campaign, they probably have concluded the F2P model was not going to work.

Well EA should have done that right at the very beginning.

With all due respect to everyone and everything C&C development-wise, I'm just sitting here, laughing.

Why are you laughing? I am not saddened and disappointed by this but glad. VG just wasted over a year's time on this project.

Edited by zocom7

Why are you laughing?

Because this is the way it should be.

VG just wasted over a year's time on this project.

Actually, it's 3 years. They started working on it in late 2010, spent two years on adapting FB2 to an RTS environment and an online-only state, with actual content only coming this year.

Do you know what else I have found out? EALA is no more and neither is VG and Danger Close Studios that were part of EALA. (Quite odd why I still mentioned EALA today - the name does not exist anymore.)

EALA is now called DICE LA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DICE_Los_Angeles

Now the biggest question is whether if DICE or Bioware will develop a C&C game one day.

Edited by zocom7

I have not seen any confirmation about Victory Games being shutdown. Disappointing that the game has been axed though, but that's business I guess. Probably best to let the dust settle, all of this has hit in one big wallop, best to not make premature assumptions and declare the franchise dead... but its sure looking that way.

This is lame, but they brought it upon themselves really. Just like Tiberium, you build a game on a bad foundation and it will crumble.

• Upvote 2

Haha wow you gotta be kiddin' me... Well, I'll go back to my dream of EA selling C&C's rights to Petroglyph. *sigh*

Well, I'll go back to my dream of EA selling C&C's rights to Petroglyph. *sigh*

Not you too...

Well if this is true, it's time for Sonic to move the C&C F2P forum section into the archives immediately.

I won't be making any changes to the forums or main site just yet. When the time is right the forum will probably removed. Or in the unlikely event that another C&C product is announced it could be renamed. As for the content on the main site, well http://www.cncnz.com/games/command-conquer-free/ will probably dropped. But all the images will stay in the gallery. No rush to make these changes right now though.

It's also explains why Mark Skaggs says their team is done when he posted:

http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/18377-thanks-for-playing-generals/

Mark Skaggs has nothing to do with C&C any more, hasn't for a long time. He's a past developer.

Haha wow you gotta be kiddin' me... Well, I'll go back to my dream of EA selling C&C's rights to Petroglyph. *sigh*

Funny thing is that Petroglyphs is closed at this moment, and they sold End of Nations to TRION World who turned EoN into MOBARTS (more worse than C&C4)

If only Jon van Caneghem meets Mike Legg (the co-founder/President of Petroglyph) to come to agree to terms. :P

The hell? They just... stopped it? It really was turning into quite a nice game, actually...

Newsflash... they don't want it. They said so several times.

I LOLLED at this new petition:

http://www.commandandconquer.com/forums/index.php/topic/32375-petition-relating-to-october-29th-announcement/

When Tiberium was cancelled, the files were in the archives and scrapped. I would believe this C&C F2P will do the same thing too.

Edited by zocom7

Me too. Look at this:

I have played the Alpha version, and it is clear to me that this game is 95% ready, so the this petition is to campaign for EA/Victory to finish the remaining 5%, release the game as an unfinished / alpha or beta-grade product through their preferred distribution method (Origin), with a nominal price that can recoup some of the development costs and hopefully demonstrate to EA that there is a business case to continue this title in traditional purchase mode / that F2P + microtransactions are not neccessary.

Is everything ok with the guy's head?

Two more other questions:

1) What would happen to the people who have the closed alpha version of C&C F2P? I'll bet one day it will be hacked and modified.

2) How much was the hard drive space for the alpha version of the game when it was downloaded and installed? (even with the latest updates)

Guest Rabbit

I suspect they'll either abandon the game, or they'll make an "update" that basically tells your computer that you no longer need 100% of the files in your C&C directory.

As for the space, the total space was a little over 3 gigabytes.

Aw. What a pity. The game was actually pretty fun to play. They just weren't ready with adding in all the units for all the generals yet.

It looked like a lot of the hard work had been done... though some of the complex units probably needed work. I wonder if they'll reuse anything or reboot the project...