Guest Rabbit

Victory Games to Close - Command & Conquer Cancelled

EA should have just made a HD version of all the older C&Cs (from Tiberian Dawn, to Yuri's Revenge), just like Blizzard did with StarCraft. That would have been long done by now and appealed to the older and newer generation of gamers.

• Downvote 1

The never ending tragedy of Command and Conquer. Our hopes perpetually crushed.

Guest Rabbit

It's kind of like having a brother that you really don't like. You know, the kind that never really amounted to anything. You love them, because you've known them so long and you feel obligated to, and I mean, come on, you've known no other way because he's family, but at the same time, you wish that he'd do some something good for once or just get the hell out of your life.

Yet for some reason, every time he shows up for Christmas dinner, you feel that need to find out what's going on with his life, and then, when he announces (like today) that he is quitting his job and trying something new, a part of you is like "yeah, I expected you to **** up again," and another part of you is like "why the hell can't you do something right for once?"

Then, your brother goes and gets a job with the new high tech company, and he's telling you that he has this awesome job and it sounds great. But he wont tell you exactly what he's doing at this job, yet, he keeps coming up with hundreds of stories of how great it is. You get excited. Finally, this brother of yours is doing something!

Then boom. Next week, you find out he gets fired. When you ask why, he makes up some bull**** excuse like the bosses were too stupid (partially true) or that his job was really unnecessary to begin with. But in reality, it turns out he was trying to sell cars to customers that wanted trucks, when in reality, they would have been better off just calling a goddamn cab.

If only Jon van Caneghem meets Mike Legg (the co-founder/President of Petroglyph) to come to agree to terms. :P

The funny fact is that John Van Kaneghem was a founder of TRION World, who is working right now on End of Nation after Petroglyph disband.

Edited by Existor

I have not seen any confirmation about Victory Games being shutdown. Disappointing that the game has been axed though, but that's business I guess. Probably best to let the dust settle, all of this has hit in one big wallop, best to not make premature assumptions and declare the franchise dead... but its sure looking that way.

It's not dead. But it has become toxic.

Now before everyone jumps on my back. You just need to look at the history and politics of the last 15+ years since EA acquired the franchise. The internal struggles between Westwood & EA on the Tiberian Sun project, which was released with too many critical bugs. The huge pressures that came with the success of RA2 and the need to keep building on the shoulders of the giant that C&C had become. Which was then followed by the poor critical reception and sales of Renegade and Emperor: BFD which doomed Westwood as a company.

From the point of EA taking on internally. A lot of knowledge and ideas were lost in transition. Thus the vicious hands and demands of this community has not helped EA either. This community has been the voice of the consumer and every criticism that has come in has put additional pressures on the company to deliver. Are we partially to blame? Maybe.

But the fact is that EA's business practices cannot fund something as complex as an RTS in this day in age. There's just too much to develop upon for a company that requires quick and efficient turnaround.

I'm guessing though that the reason for this cancellation has a lot to do with the Frostbite 3 engine as well as project deadlines. EA's top brass probably wanted C&C to be upgraded to Frostbite 3 to keep in line with the evolution of the engine. Victory probably came back saying that things needed reworking and more time/money would be needed if it was to be accomplished. It wasn't going to happen, and the plug was pulled.

As I've said to Zee on Facebook. EA need to put this franchise to rest. Put it in the vault indefinitely next to all the Bullfrog titles that will never see the light of day ever again. Let what legacy remains live in the minds of what C&C was, rather than what it has become. Or EA cut their losses and recoup a few million in selling the franchise to another company that may be able to do something positive with it. Either way C&C cannot be the product of a cash cow business practice, it won't work, and that's been proved since C&C4 was thrown out the door.

Edited by Saracen
  • Upvote 2

This is greatly disappointing, also with all the idea's that they will create a box copy for $60 if so why would they shut down and disband the entirety of Victory Games?

Funny thing is that Petroglyphs is closed at this moment, and they sold End of Nations to TRION World who turned EoN into MOBARTS (more worse than C&C4)

As far as I know Petroglyph was contracted to work on EON, Eon is and always has been a TRION Product.

Its cancelled really? Just like that? :( I mean judging my the news posts here things were apparently going to plan as early as a few days ago, now its all shut down? Ouch.

EA should have just stuck with the tired and true which is why C&C3 was a good game. They're tried to innovate and be different and we got C&C4 a train wreck, and now this F2P non starter.

Pah.

damn you typical EA! .- :mad:

at least i can still play some PvE games so far :rolleyes:

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Guest Stevie_K

I've got mixed feelings about this event. I didn't have high expectations, but I was looking forward to try the game.

EA's gonna EA.

lmao B)

Not really surprised, definitely not sad. The game had potential on paper, yes; the slow development workflow coupled with the huge backlog meant they would never realistically get that done. That is, provided they wanted to in the first place, which is something I highly doubt in light of some design decisions.

The game as it was would not have lived. Pulling the plug is the only acceptable course of action with this stumbling corpse.

What surprises me is the harshness with which they seem to have pulled the plug on *the team*. It's sad to see so many people taking the fall for design decisions only a few persons made.

But then it's EA and has always been.

EA should have just made a HD version of all the older C&Cs (from Tiberian Dawn, to Yuri's Revenge), just like Blizzard did with StarCraft.

If you call StarCraft 2 a mere HD remake of StarCraft 1, then you know nothing about RTS.

Put it in the vault indefinitely next to all the Bullfrog titles that will never see the light of day ever again

Hate to break it to ya, but Dungeon Keeper got an official MMO version in eastern Asia. Nothing's safe :P

If Malevolence sees this news, he'll be extremely happy (and ROFL) now that he longer supports EA gaming (or even any recent C&C gaming).

As for this post from AGMLauncher from GR.org:

]I'm not going to say much for the time being as I don't want to get into any legal murkiness. Personally I think it was because the franchise lost allies at the executive level. Frank Gibeau was moved to the Mobile division, and Riccitiello stepped down as CEO. From what I understand, those two were big proponents of CNC, and without them, it was open for the axe.

What I don't know is what actually precipitated the decision. Could be financial, could be due to fan feedback, could be political... who knows.

I am afraid the proponents to C&C are actually the ones who supported DRM and always online play even for SP.

Also this quote from Wombat from GR.org:

Well it looks like the servers will be up for alpha players in the short term. They fixed a bug on Monday so the servers automatically restart on an error. But until the EA guys figure out how to turn it off, the game will still be up and running.

I hope soon that last alpha version could be heading to third-party servers if it's still playable and hopefully if someone (like another team) modify the game, it should be made available to all other players who did not play the alpha.

*kicks backs in chair and chuckles* Ah man...cannot express this enough to all those foolish proponents that defended this ticking time bomb of a game *cough*Cypher*cough *cough*GeneralKaneNash *cough* but three words do come to mind:

TOLD
YOU
SO

Now...for a bit of seriousness here. I am not surprised this was going to happen. The whole notion of this being a F2P game with an RTS was a disaster waiting to happen. How the hell would they have maintain balance from the paying to the non-paying folks? I seen the screenshots of the pay system and it is for sure P2W. Paying for extra XP boost; thereby unlocking better units faster and more CP (Command Points) i.e. able to build more units. I also love the notion that you have to pay to change the damn colors or SELECT A MAP. Don't believe me? Here is your proof:

2irsw1x.jpg

Also have to love how you pay more and you get less back with what you spend:

105pe9k.jpg

Now to be fair, I do not blame Victory Games, I really don't. I'd say they did pretty good job with what was going on and I am really sadden that all of those people lost their jobs and let's be serious, I don't buy that EA is going to find them work; nor would I want to work for them after they cut you just like that. My gut feeling is what is going on is the new brass at EA feels that this game was probably not going to be the cash cow they hoped; maybe some folks at VG expressed concerns and EA didn't want to hear it; maybe they felt that RTS is not the "in" thing anymore. I have a feeling more of this ugly situation is slowly going to come to light and well, there won't be many surprises that EA treated them like garbage.

As for the future of C&C, to say it is bleak is a huge understatement. As a few others have said; it is time to lock up C&C in the vault and let it remain there until either EA actually wises up and becomes a better company (not likely) or sell off the franchise to somehow will still gives a damn about RTS gamers (a bit more likely but not by much).

I am afraid the proponents to C&C are actually the ones who supported DRM and always online play even for SP.

It is sad Mr. Zocom7 that one of the allies for this game was the same asshole who actually wanted gamers to pay every time they reloaded a gun....actually never mind...him supporting a F2P C&C now makes more sense....

Do we have a general thread on the future of RTS games? Because we might need one ...

• Upvote 1

*kicks backs in chair and chuckles* Ah man...cannot express this enough to all those foolish proponents that defended this ticking time bomb of a game *cough*Cypher*cough *cough*GeneralKaneNash *cough* but three words do come to mind:

TOLD

YOU

SO

Now...for a bit of seriousness here. I am not surprised this was going to happen. The whole notion of this being a F2P game with an RTS was a disaster waiting to happen. How the hell would they have maintain balance from the paying to the non-paying folks? I seen the screenshots of the pay system and it is for sure P2W. Paying for extra XP boost; thereby unlocking better units faster and more CP (Command Points) i.e. able to build more units. I also love the notion that you have to pay to change the damn colors or SELECT A MAP. Don't believe me? Here is your proof:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2irsw1x&s=5#.UnFKa_kiWSo

Also have to love how you pay more and you get less back with what you spend:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=105pe9k&s=5#.UnFKOPkiWSo

Now to be fair, I do not blame Victory Games, I really don't. I'd say they did pretty good job with what was going on and I am really sadden that all of those people lost their jobs and let's be serious, I don't buy that EA is going to find them work; nor would I want to work for them after they cut you just like that. My gut feeling is what is going on is the new brass at EA feels that this game was probably not going to be the cash cow they hoped; maybe some folks at VG expressed concerns and EA didn't want to hear it; maybe they felt that RTS is not the "in" thing anymore. I have a feeling more of this ugly situation is slowly going to come to light and well, there won't be many surprises that EA treated them like garbage.

As for the future of C&C, to say it is bleak is a huge understatement. As a few others have said; it is time to lock up C&C in the vault and let it remain there until either EA actually wises up and becomes a better company (not likely) or sell off the franchise to somehow will still gives a damn about RTS gamers (a bit more likely but not by much).

It is sad Mr. Zocom7 that one of the allies for this game was the same asshole who actually wanted gamers to pay every time they reloaded a gun....actually never mind...him supporting a F2P C&C now makes more sense....

You can leave now, TsNod.

Well I was blind sided by this news... the game was average but I never thought it was in danger of being cancelled. Especially after the effort of gamescom. Headsup... attendees you might have some precious swag from the very last commandandconquer event.

You can leave now, TsNod.

I'm not TsNod, heard of this name but if he has said similar things like I did, good on him. :)

As far as I know Petroglyph was contracted to work on EON, Eon is and always has been a TRION Product.

Petroglyph now don't work on EoN. Trion World not taken entire game development, and Petroglyph is out of game, they had tons of layoffs. You're a bit out of date. Read the latest news please.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250589/end-of-nations-developer-petroglyph-games-hit-with-layoffs/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/182893/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/382228/layoffs-at-end-of-nations-studio-petroglyph/

Edited by Existor

Petroglyph now don't work on EoN. Trion World not taken entire game development, and Petroglyph is out of game, they had tons of layoffs. You're a bit out of date. Read the latest news please.

Actually, they are still around but they are now reduced to making ****ty mobile/Facebook games...it's a shame. Said they are "celebrating" their 10th year anniversary...though what the hell do they have to celebrate is beyond me. Said they have an announcement for a new game soon but I wouldn't get my hopes up since they haven't been hitting it out of the park as of late.

i am not serprised that this has happened given EA canceling games, that they dont think will make money, if anything C&C needs to die fore about 5 years and come back with a bang, like a retelling of the original story and combine C&C and RA together in one big story arc. that would be cool. i think the issue is EA has forgotten that the C&C market is about 50% online and 50% offline Story gamers who still love the Lan Party. if they fix that and tidy up the formula EA can Save the Series from the pits of EA's Bassment.

• Upvote 1

For all the hints and info we are getting the main reason why C&C was canned was thanks to the new EA CEO having no faith in C&C, bring back Ricitiello or even Gibeau (not that this is gonna happen) as the main boss and you will see C&C back on production.

Oh well, with this and the hiatus brought to Dead Space, and no more Crysis there is no reason for me to spend a single more cent in EA games, no, I am not buying BF4, yes, I will keep buying CoD, I couldnt care less about multiplayer, the singleplayer is awesome, besides I already have the Wargame franchise for ultra-realism, plus it's an strategy game, during the Cold War! So I have dozens of units at my command while BF offers me only one single vehicle which I will have to fight with another 8 guys to get.

For all the hints and info we are getting the main reason why C&C was canned was thanks to the new EA CEO having no faith in C&C, bring back Ricitiello or even Gibeau (not that this is gonna happen) as the main boss and you will see C&C back on production.

Oh well, with this and the hiatus brought to Dead Space, and no more Crysis there is no reason for me to spend a single more cent in EA games, no, I am not buying BF4, yes, I will keep buying CoD, I couldnt care less about multiplayer, the singleplayer is awesome, besides I already have the Wargame franchise for ultra-realism, plus it's an strategy game, during the Cold War! So I have dozens of units at my command while BF offers me only one single vehicle which I will have to fight with another 8 guys to get.

About damn time you started to wake up to EA's bs.