Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Farewell to WinAmp

For my 2500th post (Yay! ^_^), I regret to be posting this sad news of this once popular media player program:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427421,00.asp

Last version of WinAmp is 5.66. It's sad to say farewell to the program now that the developer behind this is shutting down after 15 years.

Years ago, I once used WinAmp with a RA2 plug-in just to put in custom music in-game in addition to what the RA2 music jukebox already had.

You'll always be able to find the download long after the official site goes down. Popular applications never die.

Guest Stevie_K

Sad news. I'm still using Winamp. It is by far the best mp3 music player for pc. :)

I never stopped using Winamp as a primary audio player. Great piece of software indeed. A shame to see it go.

It's the only media player I have that isn't overloaded with fluff. It does what I need: play goddamn music. I can start it and bam, I can play music. Not like ****ing itunes, which has to do fifty things or other players that have too many goddamn buttons. **** that. Make it simple.

Guest Rabbit

But my favorite thing about iTunes is how when you click the "x" to close it, it opens itself right back up for you ten seconds later for no reason! How inconvenient! :D

Oh well, there's always Foobar and AIMP. Someone should make a C&C skin for AIMP.

Edited by Tore

Damn. I prefer more complex media players, but this is really an end of another era.

Man, (over)using that thing in the early 2000s was one of my fondest memories of my PC usage as a kid.

It should still be good as a standalone program, right? Doing it's thing, at least for the near future.

And I just downloaded a version on android... the day before.

You'll always be able to find the download long after the official site goes down. Popular applications never die.

Exactly. And guess what if you have it installed on your computers now you can still use it for as long as you like. Some of you guys make sound like it will magically disappear from your hard drive.

I haven't used winamp since I was a teenager. :P

Well, aren't you Mister Fancypants?

Must... resist... posting... pony... picture xD

WinAmp just got bloated after 2.0. I used it for a short time in my Cyrix MII. After i've changed to foobar. It still lightweigth, you can compare the CPU usage from WMP and it. Also, foobar is so customizable as winamp.

Foobar is nice, though I just prefer WinAmp. Not sure why. I did get a bit more bloated, but it's by no means bloatware or anything as nasty as iTunes. VLC player is nice too and has improved so much over the years, but it's definitely still not what a good audio player should be.

In a fantasy world, AOL would release the source code and let WinAmp live, but I doubt it... we'll see. There's a petition going around for it, you can sign it here. Is it futile? Most likely, but takes just a minute to do.

Must... resist... posting... pony... picture xD

*sigh*

Fancypants_id.png

Edited by TheBlackOut

Yeah, that's the guy :D

(ironically, he doesn't even wear pants :P)