Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Half-Life Remake Goes into Retail!

At first, most people liked the idea of having Black Mesa free-to-play but after porting to the updated Source Engine and still developing/finishing off the Xen missions, the developers decided they want the game to go into retail. But the devs never really wanted to make a profit in the first place.

Here's the article: http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa/news/happy-birthday-half-life

Boooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I WOULD NEVER, EVER PAY FOR A GAME THAT IS A REMAKE, NOT EVEN OPPOSING FORCE, GUARD DUTY, OR EVEN RENEGADE-X!

I have a bad feeling that the retail version of Black Mesa will be similar to Team Fortress 2: the premium content for the retail version, and the free version without most of the good content, not to mention the free version of BM might not get to play the entire game with the rest of the Xen chapters!

Edited by Sonic
No giant fonts or ugly colours please

The Plan:

Soon you'll see Black Mesa available on Steam for a relatively low price. But we aren't dropping all support for the free version. In fact shortly after the Steam release there will be a completely new free version of the game. We also plan to open source our maps and some game assets to the modding community!

Purchasing the Steam version of Black Mesa is more about supporting the team and our efforts than anything else. However, the Steam version will include features that the free version simply can not have. We will be paying careful attention to feedback, and you'll have a very real say in how the final game turns out.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Yes, I know that, but I hope one day the devs will say on what content differences between retail and free versions will and won't include.

Our decision to sell Black Mesa rests on two key points. One is we believe we can make the game even better by having full access to the Source engine. This lets us tackle and fix limitations instead of working around them. The second is because frankly, our team could really use the financial help.

It should mostly come down to this.

Give them a break, they're awesome at what they're doing, they could use some recognition. Remember how Counter-Strike was originally a mod for HL1 and got monetized and essentially popularized? Remember how Forgotten Empires was a mod for Age of Empires 2 that became a full expansion for AoE2HD recently? What's wrong with that?

Guest Stevie_K

Zocom just because something is a "remake" doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't require a lot of money, time, effort and a serious load of dedication to produce.

If your "never ever" mindset is based solely on something being a remake, then you should try think through why it is that you don't appreciate remakes. Is it because a remake is not original and only original titles should cost money?

Sorry I just have a problem understanding why you seem so upset around the idea of the Black Mesa Source team getting the opportunity to be rewarded for their hard work. :)

The Black Mesa team have worked on Black Mesa for over 9 years. They fully deserve this opportunity.

Guest Rabbit

I think whether I pay for something or not should depend on the quality of the work I'm paying for, not the reasoning behind it.

Really, zocom? They're just doing it to get some financial support, while keeping the free version online. I don't see how this could in any way be a bad thing.

Black Mesa was good, an outstanding effort, but its not something I'd consider paying for.

zocomlogic... it's funny how some things don't change with time :D

*camera pans out, the city is bombed out and smouldering, men in hazmat-bio suits are wandering about*

Zocom... Zocom never changes." Hehehe ;)

Remember how Forgotten Empires was a mod for Age of Empires 2 that became a full expansion for AoE2HD recently?

Woah, didn't know that about the AoE2HD remake. That's awesome. Was Forgotten Empires a mod that was just trying to make AoE in better graphics or did they have deviate from AoE in some ways?

The Black Mesa team have worked on Black Mesa for over 9 years. They fully deserve this opportunity.

Absolutely agree. Black Mesa was a blast to play. I'll gladly pay since it was a joy to play it and you could tell the attention to detail they took. It's painstaking to make something that epic, I'm sure.

Black Mesa was good, an outstanding effort, but its not something I'd consider paying for.

Not even something like, say $5?

I think I'm more with Sonic on this... good but I'm not going to rush out an pay for it.