Sign in to follow this  
Guest Szaby59

Ra2 + Yuri - Slow Scrolling Speed

Guest Szaby59
Hello!

I installed the TUC version and tried every available fixes, but the game scroll speed is slow.

Only way to make it faster is changing the game speed to faster, but with this the whole game (building, unit producing) is faster.

I have Windows 8.1 but I tried with Windows 7 and XP and all the same.

Is it normal and the game is really so slow at medium, fast gamespeed ?

It depends how you define "slow". Scroll speed is manageable in game options.

Guest Szaby59

Compared to Red alert 1. I have set to the fastest but still looks slow to me (when I move the screen there is a little lag) but when I set gamespeed to the fastest possible the scrolling speed is also fast.

Edit: I think I found a solution - still not as fast as I think it should be but a little better, also this removed tearing without any issues (I had tearing during cutscenes and moving the screen, with 3rd party ddraw.dll I had more lag or black screen).

1, Download and install Directx SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

2, Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Utilities\bin\x86 and open dxcpl.exe (DirectX Control Panel).

3, On the DirectDraw tab uncheck Use Hardware Accelaration.

I uploaded dxcpl.exe if someone wants to try and don't want to download the whole SDK: https://www.mediafire.com/?l22cv49wg3xgm12

Edited by Szaby59

2, Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Utilities\bin\x86 and open dxcpl.exe (DirectX Control Panel).

Isn't it easier to type in run command line "dxdiag"?

Guest Szaby59

On windows 8/8.1 (maybe win7 too) can not be disabled from dxdiag.

Also this control panel is different from dxdiag.

Edit: I've found similar sollutions:

To disable DD accelaration without dxcpl:

1, Start -> run and type regedit

2, Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw

3, Double click on EmulationOnly and edit value from 0 to 1.

To disable hw accelaration only for RA2:

1, Start -> run and type regedit

2, Naviagate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

3, Right click new -> string value and for name add game.exe path for example: D:\Games\Origin\Command and Conquer Red Alert II\game.exe

4, Double click on this newly created entry and add this: Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation

If the registry key for game.exe is already there just add Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation.

Tested on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with the TUC version.

I suggest to close or minimize background apps, in my case Windows Sidebar caused some flickering issues.

Edited by Szaby59

Couldn't a lot of this be achieved via the Compatibility settings tab? In all the times I've installed RA2 on Windows 7 (Vista in the past) I just set the Compatibility options, and it runs fine. Of course though every computer is different I guess so different results.

Guest Szaby59

I tried with several compatibility options, but tearing only disappeared when I disabled the DirectDraw accelaration - this is maybe a driver/system issue but many others have the same problem in 2D games (not just in ra2).

Edited by Szaby59

Guest Szaby59

I already set and it fixed the slow explosions bug, but still had tearing...

I don't know why but with HW accelarated DirectDraw the game runs worse (tearing, instability) with emulation runs fine.

ALT+TAB still not working but I guess it's because the game uses 16 Bit color and my desktop is set to 32 bit.

Edited by Szaby59

Westwood didn't know how to code while sober. That's why the game runs so poorly. It's been pretty much established that software emulation runs faster than hardware but most of the problems usually come about with the back buffer being enabled. You might try a windowed mode or a VM. I pretty much run RA2 and YR on an XP machine and have no problems at all anywhere. Not a pretty solution but it does work.