Sign in to follow this  
LordHuffnPuff

Ed Del Castillo Interview [Taking Questions!]

Hey howdy hey!

Sometime within the next week (or so) I'll be doing an interview with Ed Del Castillo. For those not familiar with him, Ed was the producer on the original Tiberian Dawn as well as Red Alert way back in the 1990s (remember those?) He's since moved on from the C&C series to his own projects, but it's safe to say that he played an integral part in the origins of this franchise - without him it wouldn't be what it is today.

Anyway, he has generously offered to set aside some time to talk with me on a podcast I do, covering his career, design philosophies and possibly even a hint at future projects. I wanted to offer the C&C community the opportunity to submit questions for Mr. Del Castillo ahead of time! I can't promise we'll get to everybody's question but we'll do our best. Questions can be posted in this thread or submitted via a webform on the podcast website (both are fine!)

We're looking forward to talking with Ed, and I hope that you guys have some great questions for him!

PS: I read through the forum rules and I believe this thread is kosher and in the correct subforum, but if this is a violation of the Terms of Use, my apologies! Please remove!

Edited by LordHuffnPuff
  • Upvote 2

- What are the next RTS games being developed that he is paying attention?

- What kind of RTS (game play and/or features) he would be willing to develop nowadays?

- With this "procedural fever" of the programmers, what are the opportunities he sees in the development of a single player campaign?

- What would be cool to do now with the C&C franchise?

- From the producer point of view, what did he think about the cancel of the last C&C?

- What would you like to see in a RTS (in a multiplayer game): less players with more units or more players?

- Modding will stay as cooperative projects or will become a secondary market?

- Cool Graphics became the "basics". Is there a place for games with below-average graphics with good game play?

• Upvote 1

I think most of those are pretty good questions, but I am not fond of the last one and would like to answer it myself by making slight alterations:

- Cool Graphics became "elitist", there is a place for games with below-average graphics with good game play.

No questions from me personally but we will definitely post this as news when your podcast is done.

Would he be willing to ride in to EA, swoop up the C&C franchise, re-form Westwood, and revitalise the RTS scene, as well as the overall gaming scene, for the endless and absolute benefit of humankind?

Nmenth: I agree with you, I prefer game play too, just tried to make a "realistic" and provocative question, thanks ...

Maybe a question about some of the things they planned to add as feature to any of the C&C games he worked on, but didn't have enough time for

• Upvote 1

Guest Stevie_K

I am interested as to whether there were ideas, features and design decisions that were scrapped along the way, and why :)

The interview section starts around 1:08:45.

Hi Lord,

Great PodCast, a lot of questions answered and I agree with you guys about hearing micro-stories that are actually rich content of this people that make the industry. I'm glad I've found your podcast and I will hear other interviews over time, not only from Ed. I'll also pay better attention to Ed's projects, now that he mentioned that he might bug EA to get C&C, I wish him luck too.