Sonic

Grey Goo - Petroglyph's New RTS

image.13.jpg

Retro Orange

image.12.jpg

Dark Gold

Guest Stevie_K

Amazing screenshots.

So I take it these are two of the house colors for one of the factions? :)

It's 23 January 2015, as I heard.

Therefore, we are happy to announce that Grey Goo will be released on Steam, January 23rd, 2015!

That seems like a strange time to launch a game. After Christmas sales, after new year sales, and at least here in Australia...just before school heads back. Who has spare cash at that time? Seems like they should just bit a few weeks/months....

My friend Spartacus (KW senior commentator on GR) is streaming at around 2 AM GMT for two hours revealing the beta of Grey Goo (with permission from Petroglyph) and will be doing this all week. He's shown a bit of the campaign, skirmishes and multiplayer. Looks interesting from (the little) what I've seen.

Here are his currently saved streams from the past two nights:

http://www.twitch.tv/spartylive/b/610440743

http://www.twitch.tv/spartylive/b/610828512

Also, replays and observer mode will be added after the release.

Cool trailer.

And it comes out next week? Eh, might pick it up then. :)

Heehee. I knew it'd be a role reversal from the start. The Goo are the 'explorers', and they see humanity as aggressors. Nice :)

I am looking to hear some real Frank Klepacki music after the Grey Goo release.

Edit: So far early critic reviews are positive. Not bad for Petroglyph's latest RTS game.

Edited by zocom7

The sold soundtrack (which I got free with the game since I bought it during the opening weekend) is disappointingly short. 10 tracks. I instead recorded the full 31 tracks from the ingame jukebox with Audacity, and saved them as flac. They're probably better quality than the mp3 soundtrack ones :P

The soundtrack is decidedly different from the C&C ones, since the game has a central recurring game theme, a style for each side, and more or less a recurring theme per side, too. So those central themes pop up every now and then, whereas in C&C each track generally has its own distinct melody.

But, the central game theme is extremely awesome, and you can hear Frank had fun with having an entire orchestra at his disposal. Some stuff (unsurprisingly; he's a huuuge fan) sounds kind of Star Wars like.

I'm actually planning to do a track-by-track review of the music at some point... but to do that I first want to replay the campaign and sort the tracks by side.

Yeah great music, though you had to set it up with the jukebox or you'd get just the 'atmospheric' music come on at the appropriate times which is lame. :P

For anyone who wants to hear the music soundtrack, a playlist is available:

For anyone who wants to hear the music soundtrack, a playlist is available:

They're not the full versions of the tracks. For example, the first part of War is Evolving is missing.

I'm still upset the original campaign had like 5 missions per faction. I hope the expansion gives more content for its buck this time.