Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

What's Happening with CNCNZ.com?

You may have noticed that things have slowed down around CNCNZ.com, and the C&C Community a lot in recent weeks. CNCNZ.com is a basic reflection of the community, if there is nothing happening, not much news gets posted. There have been some internal changes within our site. Most of, it not all, of our staff have essentially moved on. Projects like Command & Conquer Legos have reached their end, others are inactive for now. And for me personally, changes have been made in my personal life that have seen me having to neglect CNCNZ.com for the time being. Having some medical problems doesn't help either.

c4WONyV.png

I have received some e-mails and messages asking about the status of CNCNZ.com. Will it be closing? No more news? So I felt it best to publicly address all the questions here. A recent update on Project Perfect Mod also got me thinking about how CNCNZ.com is last of many C&C fansites that are still active. And, no I doubt I'll ever get bored of posting Renegade X news, Renegade X thing is the best to happen to the C&C Community in the past few months. Read the update on PPM for more.

The good news is things are getting better for me personally and health wise. I'm still dedicated to this site. It has become part of me. I just have to put things on hold for awhile longer.

CNCNZ.com will always be here, there are no plans to close it, as to what it covers in the future remains to be seen. Like a lot of fans, we are waiting and wondering to find out if EA will bring Command & Conquer back. As a long time Command & Conquer fan, I certainly hope to see Command & Conquer return to its glory days.

• Upvote 1

Well thats good to hear. :)

Just need EA to get their **** together and release a new C&C.

But then again, fan activity doesn't necessarily need to follow EA's announcements like a shadow.

If anything, people still mod (although slower than ever), multiplayer is still played by a reasonable amount of people across almost most titles...

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Thanks for running CNCNZ all these years Sonic! I have used the site as my news source for C&C for as long as I can remember now and it's good to see that even in this downtime, with no new C&C games slated for the future, that you guys are holding fast and keeping the flags proudly up.

Over at Bluehell Productions we keep the same mentality; although we may not post that much news, we will always be around to fly the flags for C&C. That's just how we are.

Here's to many more great years of news, reviews, interviews, commanding and conquering! :D

Edited by One Winged Angel

Well I know how inactive CNCNZ is in recent months. Zee Hypnotist is MIA (possibly AWOL) and most gamers here are either retired or just here for fun. Cartoon & Conquer is still very much alive as long as Nmenth is active. The C&C mods are still active in recent weeks but nothing new has been released, just pieces of news articles and new images.

I'm active, but in a slow pace.

I think it's OK for any game community to have ups and downs, I guess.

And I have confidence that we will a new C&C, just not in the short term.

Cartoon & Conquer is still very much alive as long as Nmenth is active.

I will probably still be active long after I've ceased Cartoon and Conquer (which is not likely to happen before the 100th episode at the least). I'm sure I will still be here for many years to come, or possibly until the time comes that the site does finally shut down, whenever that may be.

Zee Hypnotist is MIA (possibly AWOL)

Zee is all pissed off at me anyway... well at least I think he is. I doubt he will be back on here any time soon.

Hey Sonic,

First of all, I'm glad your health is improving and thanks for keeping CNCNZ.com active and strong. And yea, Renegade-X is certainly one of the best things that happened in the latest months in this community. It is one of the best C&C related community projects I've heard of, in my entire life. I'm happy that it motivates you to keep CNCNZ.com running. In fact, that feeling of 'CNCNZ.com be part of you' that you mentioned in your news is somehow the same feeling that I have with PPM. It was raised with a lot of effort and care and, it managed to become something significant for the lives of thousands of people around the world. I'd feel terrible if it vanished out of nowhere.

And regarding my news post, it was the april fools joke from PPM. I may have exagerated on some points, underestimated PC's market there, but my real opinion desn't divert much from what was posted in that post. If EA executives and stockholders have the expectations of using the Command & Conquer franchise to get the same profits they get with The Sims, Battlefield and other franchises, they will kill C&C. If they follow a similar strategy that Blizzard is doing with Starcraft, C&C can raise from the ashes by selling boxed/digital games and expansions intead of focusing its profits on micro-transactions, taking the right time until they release a high quality product and not forcing the product to exclusively rely on the internet to do absolutely everything (as they tried with the latest Sim City and the last F2P C&C). Unfortunately, I don't expect EA to do that at all. Well... I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Banshee

Just a heads up... there might be a C&C95 V1.07 coming. Might take a couple of months, and the current work is mostly reverse engineering a ton of my own undocumented changes... but hifi is constantly poking me to keep working on it :)

What's funny, though, is a post about the site's well being gets so many responses in a heartbeat, but a revelation from the development process of C&C4 gets one comment....

Sorry Cypher, but I guess that it somewhat reflects the success of C&C4 in a long term.

• Upvote 1

What's funny, though, is a post about the site's well being gets so many responses in a heartbeat, but a revelation from the development process of C&C4 gets one comment....

It is because we would all like to forget that C&C 4 ever existed.

Sorry Cypher, but I guess that it somewhat reflects the success of C&C4 in a long term.

Heh, C&C4 never had a chance for "long term" anything.

Hey Sonic,

First of all, I'm glad your health is improving and thanks for keeping CNCNZ.com active and strong. And yea, Renegade-X is certainly one of the best things that happened in the latest months in this community. It is one of the best C&C related community projects I've heard of, in my entire life. I'm happy that it motivates you to keep CNCNZ.com running. In fact, that feeling of 'CNCNZ.com be part of you' that you mentioned in your news is somehow the same feeling that I have with PPM. It was raised with a lot of effort and care and, it managed to become something significant for the lives of thousands of people around the world. I'd feel terrible if it vanished out of nowhere.

And regarding my news post, it was the april fools joke from PPM. I may have exaggerated on some points, underestimated PC's market there, but my real opinion desn't divert much from what was posted in that post. If EA executives and stockholders have the expectations of using the Command & Conquer franchise to get the same profits they get with The Sims, Battlefield and other franchises, they kill C&C. If they follow a similar strategy that Blizzard is doing with Starcraft, C&C can raise from the ashes selling boxed/digital games and expansions intead of focusing its profits on micro-transactions, taking the right time until they release a high quality product and not forcing the product to exclusively rely on the internet to do absolutely everything (as they tried with the latest Sim City and the last F2P C&C). Unfortunately, I don't expect EA to do that at all. Well... I hope I'm wrong.

I wish for that too, Banshee, though I doubt EA will get it through their collective asses. They saw LOL; DOTA and other clones as well as other F2P nonsense and though HEY LETS DO THAT TOO TO A BELOVED FRANCHISE NOTHING WILL GO WRONG!!

Of course I don't blame Victory Games; they didn't have a choice when the idiots at EA decided to go F2P, well they did have a choice, our way or the highway but hell they still got shafted in the end. Maybe this will convince them that a F2P RTS is a stupid STUPID idea to begin with and will never ever work. But I'll be positive and say that AT LEAST Renegade X is pretty damn awesome and I applaud that a team doing this for no money actually put out a quality C&C related game that is also free (as in completely, no F2P bullcrap).

But sadly I think by the time that EA maybe starts trying to raised the poor foul smelling corpse that is Command & Conquer there are going to be a lot more RTS games of at least decent to good quality from much smaller developers. Again, would love to see another C&C RTS as much as the rest of you, but I think we need to stop holding our breath, think we did that enough already.

As for CNCNZ I commend Sonic for sticking it out for THIS long, you are a true fan my friend. Even Lion from CNC Den has hung up his hat, not that I blame him and I feel he is a die hard fan as well. I also hope for you a speedy recovery with whatever health issues you are currently dealing with. :)

Edited by neojames82

We just have to take the long view on some things... like game releases and cancellations.

There is a mall close to where I work where lots of old men gather to play chess - including one of those giant boards with 2-foot-high pieces.

That's my goal, in 50+ years to find some public place with a LAN having a game of Command & Conquer...

64506741_bdf85d5f8d.jpg

(Insert random google photo of old men playing chess.)

It is because we would all like to forget that C&C 4 ever existed.

Heh, C&C4 never had a chance for "long term" anything.

That's too bad, cause despit what turned out due to external meddling, and limitations, some things were done with the outmost respect to the franchise.

And as far as I remember, the Unit Descriptions that appeared after the game's release on the official Site were universally liked and enjoyed.

It's in that same venue that the article CNCNZ posted was written.

Actually, prior to all those unit descriptions.

An F2P C&C game would be the best way to boost the franchise's popularity. All they have to do is get competent video game studios to develop it and not be retarded about it. Everything about Generals 2 looked like absolute ****ing crap.

Could you guys do a news post about the fact GameSpy is shutting down 31 may? It's used as online service for a bunch of C&C games.

We need to first check for sure how gamespy's shutdown affects C&C and all the various games.

Because if I recall correctly, only C&C3 actually resided on the GameSpy backend, while RA3 and onwards only used the GameSpy tools, while resting the servers on their own backend.

Checking....

And no, not everything looked like crap.

Iran, Revora has been creating a server for LoTR: BfME games called The 3rd Age Online (http://online.the3rdage.net). They've launched support for BfME 2 a couple of days ago and they are working on its expansion now. C&C 3 might go right after the expansion if Gamespy server disappears.

Generals + Zero Hour uses Gamespy too if I remember correctly.

I heard that Olaf and the guys over at XWIS are talking to Gamespy (just going off of a forum thread that I saw on the XWIS forums on the subject). Perhaps they might take the helm.

Just a heads up... there might be a C&C95 V1.07 coming.

That sounds awesome mate. The current patch version is one of the popular downloads here. 38628 downloads at last count http://www.cncnz.com/hosted-projects/command-patch/command-conquer-gold-unofficial-patch/

Well it please me to see people to care about this place :)

As for CNCNZ I commend Sonic for sticking it out for THIS long, you are a true fan my friend. Even Lion from CNC Den has hung up his hat, not that I blame him and I feel he is a die hard fan as well. I also hope for you a speedy recovery with whatever health issues you are currently dealing with. :)

Yes I'm committed to sticking with CNCNZ.com. Because one day soon the franchise will back in the news and CNCNZ.com will be here covering it all as we have always done in the past.

It's in that same venue that the article CNCNZ posted was written.

To what article are you referring? I'm confused.

Well it please me to see people to care about this place :)

Some of us care enough to keep reminding you that Nod's unit list is missing the Attack Buggy after months and months of being ignored. It's not that I'm trying to include a negative comment in over here, I'm just tired of people not caring for little things like that, not respecting the classics but at the same time claiming to be a true C&C fan/fansite. I mean come on, it's the third time I've pointed this out and still nothing... inserting that tiny pic and adding two lines of text too much work or something? I've posted stuff like this in the past when you asked us to report bugs, problems and all that, pointing out certain instances of missing info and stuff like that and it's been somewhere around 2 years and still nothing. As far as I can tell, Sonic, if it's not an issue with the site's primary functions or download pages, you don't care much about fixing stuff like that and I'm not at all happy about CNCNZ not honoring the past games by ignoring user-reported issues. I mean really, you once said you wrote those unit lists up from TS's manual and because there was no buggy unit in there (manual fail) you didn't include it? What kind of a "true fan" turns a blind eye to stuff like that? I bet you don't even play any of the older C&C games anymore... not everything worthwhile is exclusively in the new and improved next-gen gaming sensations you know... albeit, focusing on the future of C&C isn't at all a bad thing.

Lastly, I like this site and it's community, regardless of my personal opinions on various subjects and certain people that I bumped into in my time here, and it would be a real shame for CNCNZ to shut down. With that in mind and with all due respect to your health, private life, working hours and everything else - please try and be more honest with yourself and your site regarding the true fan community status it has, because a true fan doesn't forget to honor the things that made C&C what it is in the first place. And I'm not questioning your dedication nor attacking you as a person, just trying to really remind you that some of us have a bit more emotional connection to C&C that one might think and that you should put a bit of care in what bothers the rest of us in CNCNZ's image and both inner and outer workings - fans are what make this site great, not the site itself. Remember that.

I'm sorry for spitting this out in here, but I felt a very strong need to say it. And don't worry, you won't hear this from me again, so please try to understand my concern.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

LOL, the one you posted - Mobile Infantry to Mobile Base....

Oh right that one. Silly me ;)

Some of us care enough to keep reminding you that Nod's unit list is missing the Attack Buggy after months and months of being ignored. It's not that I'm trying to include a negative comment in over here, I'm just tired of people not caring for little things like that, not respecting the classics but at the same time claiming to be a true C&C fan/fansite. I mean come on, it's the third time I've pointed this out and still nothing... inserting that tiny pic and adding two lines of text too much work or something? I've posted stuff like this in the past when you asked us to report bugs, problems and all that, pointing out certain instances of missing info and stuff like that and it's been somewhere around 2 years and still nothing. As far as I can tell, Sonic, if it's not an issue with the site's primary functions or download pages, you don't care much about fixing stuff like that and I'm not at all happy about CNCNZ not honoring the past games by ignoring user-reported issues. I mean really, you once said you wrote those unit lists up from TS's manual and because there was no buggy unit in there (manual fail) you didn't include it? What kind of a "true fan" turns a blind eye to stuff like that? I bet you don't even play any of the older C&C games anymore... not everything worthwhile is exclusively in the new and improved next-gen gaming sensations you know... albeit, focusing on the future of C&C isn't at all a bad thing.

Hey take it easy. In the past it was a pain in the ass to make small edits to the site's content but not any more. The missing Nod Buggy should have been added during the last overhaul back in early December, guess I just plain forgot. Pages inside the site can be edited on the fly now and even though its taken awhile the Buggy is there.

Please don't question my honour or dedication though. I hope you understand how many hours I've put into this place. But I will admit, no I don't play any of the older C&C games. I'm not a PC gamer these days.