Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Command & Conquer Developer Walkthrough Video

Here's a video found on YouTube recently, featuring a look at the systems and gameplay of last year's cancelled Command & Conquer. Apparently it was narrated by a former Victory Games developer about a month after the game was cancelled. He explains a lot of stuff about what the development team had in store for game. For instance, a big content patch was planned to be released on the day the plugged was pulled!

• Intro, 1v1 match Featuring GLA Salvage General
  • Explanation of the Generals' Kits
  • Perks and Metagame Discussion
  • The Road to Public Release
  • 1v1 match Featuring APA Espionage General
  • 1v1 match Featuring EU Experimental Weapons General
  • 1v1 match Featuring EU Classic General
  • 1v1 match Featuring GLA Marauder General
  • 3v3 match Featuring APA Urban Assault General

This video was posted on the 22nd of Novemeber 2013. It runs for around 2 hours.

I have to admit, this was better looking than I expected, still don't see why this couldn't just be a full retail release instead of F2P (kinda cringed a bit when talking about monetizing) but it is clear these guys put a lot of work into this. One can only hope that this will still come to light some day, hopefully as what it was suppose to be, Generals 2.

However, I am not surprised that comments on the video are disabled, most likely due to venomous response this game got when it went F2P (which yes, I was one of those people). I can somewhat try to believe him that it was never meant to be P2W and maybe he was being honest but I will take it with a grain of salt because if he was to be more disparaging to EA about this he would probably have a hard time getting re-hired in the game industry, though him saying that Victory Games was "executed" sounded a bit bitter and well, don't blame him for being that one bit. Also again, if it wasn't meant to be P2W, then what was the point in the F2P model if they were not going to get a heavy cash flow?

Edited by neojames82

Yeah only someone truly dedicated (or perhaps crazy) could sit through that for 2 hours. I guess it would be different if it were for a game that was actually going to be released and playable.

Yeah, I started watching it without looking at the length. After the match was done, I checked how much longer it was and saw I'd only gone 17 minutes with nearly two hours remaining. :o

You can skip the first match and go straight to the power point slides. That's where the real meat of the video is. The powerpoint part is only about 20-30 min and it really shows how much promise C&CF2P really had.

Makes me sad that it got cancelled before it could really show off

Still impress me how a rich gameplay was abandoned this way. The part about the Generals and their specialties are amazing. The Team game play would have been really cool with every player using a different general.

Still impress me how a rich gameplay was abandoned this way. The part about the Generals and their specialties are amazing. The Team game play would have been really cool with every player using a different general.

Agreed. My original problem when I played was that the generals didn't feel unique enough. But after watching the video I see it was just because they were still making all the units to make each general truly unique.

I also really like the idea of the scout vehicles for early game!