Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

Needed Art Assets

Guest Rabbit

Standard size human / creature / animal sprites

For this section, try to keep things on a proportional scale to the human and the bear I posted in the other threads. No smaller than 32x32 per frame, no larger than 50x50.

• Visceroids (I'm not going to do baby and adult, but I figure a couple variants might do well.)
  • Mutant Wolves - Images you can start with: White Wolf / Black Wolf
  • Mutant Goat - Images you can start with: Goat / Goat Headbutt
  • Any other animal you feel like trying to mutate (within reason. No bugs or birds or whatever)

Large scale creature / animal sprites

These things might take a little more work.

• Vein Hole Monster - Still trying to figure this one out. I imagine it's going to be a tough one to pull off since it will possibly need a matching tileset to accompany it. I think this tileset might help as a base to develop something interesting.
  • Large Mutant Monster resulting from an explosion in one of the missions.

Images

Stuff that probably doesn't need to be created as much as it just needs to be "found."

• Hand Drawn Concept Art - Can't be illustrated, just pencilled. Any concept art of human testing, tiberium, old weapons (relevant to the game), or anything of that nature. This stuff will be imposed on old looking paper for the use of "intelligence documents" that can be found at different points in the game. I'm sure this stuff can probably be found all over the internet.
Edited by Rabbit
Added Hand Drawn Concept Art, Removed Initiate, Acolyte, etc.

Any other animal you feel like trying to mutate (within reason. No bugs or birds or whatever)

A couple questions on this. First, what animals do you already have? Also, do you have any idea where on Earth this game is taking place yet? The region would really influence what kind of animal diversity you'd be dealing with.

Initiate, Acolyte, and Templar:

post-3542-0-14717800-1402314082.png

post-3542-0-95343600-1402314088.png

post-3542-0-52474800-1402314103.png

Guest Rabbit

Any chance you could make a "failed" experiment version of one of those three? Like an Initiate that mutated wrong, or half mutated, or the like? I figure when the player goes to attack the production "facility," the guards will release all of them, whether they're ready or not.

As for the animals, I have a few basic ones (chicken, dog, sheep), but really, I don't have a particular location in mind. I suppose somewhere in Europe would be most likely.

Edited by Rabbit

If you have Forgotten, they might have some "failures" in their ranks as well.

Edit:

After posting this, I see I may have been focusing more on the idea of "failed experiment" while you may have been thinking more along the lines of the "half mutated"/half human (or maybe not). I could do a "two-face" variant as well, if you want.

post-3542-0-49214700-1402331671.png

Well, I figure more is better, so I went ahead and made you a semi-human-initiate.

post-3542-0-29623800-1402350472.png

Guest Manerd

Works for me. They're all going to be willing fighters regardless of what stage they're at.

If you feel like continuing to make more, I have room for 3 more (at any stage) on this particular character pallete, if you feel like making it a group of 8. They look fantastic so far.

Edited by Rabbit

Guest Rabbit

Upon additional thought, maybe you could make one that looks more like a doctor. A fully transformed creature helping Kane to transform others.

A Dr. Elena Petrova type, eh? Should I make it a female mutant?

Guest Rabbit

Sure, that could mix things up a bit. Maybe you could make a non mutant version, too.

I'm also planning on adding a a Brotherhood version of Shawn that is infused with Tiberium, but I think he'll look closer to a shiner rather than a full on transformation.

Well, it may not look as scary as Dr. Elena Petrova, but 1600s medical wear is not what one might consider ominous...

post-3542-0-45703700-1402398265.png

post-3542-0-93547500-1402398271.png

Guest Rabbit

Any chance for a deep red dress? I could just re-tint it, but I don't think blue looks very strong on her.

Re-uploaded. It didn't even occur to me to make the dress red. I just used blue because that's what I saw (other than the 99% of them in black and white photos) when I was googling images of old medical wear.

Stuff that probably doesn't need to be created as much as it just needs to be "found."

• Hand Drawn Concept Art - Can't be illustrated, just pencilled. Any concept art of human testing, tiberium, old weapons (relevant to the game), or anything of that nature. This stuff will be imposed on old looking paper for the use of "intelligence documents" that can be found at different points in the game. I'm sure this stuff can probably be found all over the internet.
Why bother scouring the internet hoping to get lucky, when through the magic of image manipulation, using a filter or two, you can do something like this:

380px-Tiberium_Infected_Human.jpg:bullet:TiberiumInfectedHuman.jpg

Adding hand-written notes, or cryptic numbers with arrows and circles pointing to various spots would be quite simple.

Guest Rabbit

I suppose. I'd just like to have a bunch of hand drawn stuff as well, as if kane is dictating procedures, orders, intel, or whatever to his men so they can pass it around amongst their ranks.

Well you say "pencilled", and while pencils certainly existed before the 17th century, I don't think they really came into common use until the 19th. I think it is more likely these would be hand-painted or done with charcoal, which is what I think that image I adjusted looks like (it used an "old photo" filter, but I don't think it really looks like a photograph).

Nevertheless, you know what you want and it would not be completely anachronistic to have pencil drawings if that's what you prefer.

Visceroids (I'm not going to do baby and adult, but I figure a couple variants might do well.)

Why don't you want to do baby visceroids? Do you still have that visceroid sprite I made? I had a look back at it and see it is smaller than 32x32, which would make it pretty small, but if it was a baby, then I wouldn't think its smallness should be a problem. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just curious as to your thinking on this.

I figure we could up to six adult variants. Renegade's fleshy mass with protrusions, Tiberian Sun's formless blob, and Tiberium War's three-legged version. These could then be doubled by having green tiberium and blue tiberium variants.

Difficulty order would fall under your domain, but I can see two possible paths:

Green Fleshy < Green Blob < Green Legs < Blue Fleshy < Blue Blob < Blue Legs

-or-

Green Fleshy < Blue Fleshy < Green Blob < Blue Blob < Green Legs < Blue Legs

If you did decide to toss babies in there, I think it would start creating redundancies (which maybe is why you don't want them?), but you could possibly get away with two baby forms to bring your visceroid total to eight, or a complete sprite set:

Baby Fleshy < Baby Blob < Green Fleshy < Green Blob < Green Legs < Blue Fleshy < Blue Blob < Blue Legs

-or-

Baby Fleshy < Green Fleshy < Blue Fleshy < Baby Blob < Green Blob < Blue Blob < Green Legs < Blue Legs

Now of course, if you don't want that many visceroids, you could dump babies and tiberium variants to just have three basics. However, while other tiberium lifeforms theoretically might take longer to evolve, visceroids have been on the scene for nearly as long as tiberium itself. Ultimately it is your call, but I'd go all out and have eight variants.

Guest Jared

I guess the reason I don't feel a need for babies is indeed the redundancy. I'll already be putting in more tiberium creatures as it is, so I think I'll have plenty without the baby visceroids.

I think if we do the six variants, I'd have green turning into other green in terms of the evolution. But yeah, I guess another step is actually creating all of these creatures. I'm trying to steer away from just ripping them from the official games as much as I can (it just doesn't fit in the more I develop this game).

Edited by Rabbit
grammar and stuff

The legged visceroid will be the most difficult to make a sprite for, but you're really only looking at three sprites even if you included the babies. The green/blue versions are just the modern equivalent to the classic RPG palette swap tactic. Babies would of course just be rescaled adults.

In Tiberian Sun, which as far as I can remember was the only game to feature or even mention baby visceroids, the babies weren't even hostile, so excluding them might actually fit the lore more accurately. However, I think there are some real storyline possibilities involving baby visceroids. They'd certainly be easier to hold captive for experimentation or study and all around safer to be near or transport. Therefore, even if you don't want them as enemies, you may want to consider just having them present in the game.

If you wanted a "cute" side quest, you could even take on a baby visceroid as a temporary ally (in which case it would probably still be hostile against enemies).

Guest Rabbit

By the way, these are the images I've thrown together for Dr. Robbins (Petrova).

They're based on one of the basic NPC faces already in the game.

W9IwqpN.png

kYqkrIL.png

Guest Rabbit

Here's what I've got for visceroids so far.

I resized and recolored the blobs that are already in the game as enemies.

I made a glowy version and a non glowy version (basically one is affected by the "darkness" added to the screen, one is not).

vHqnYcI.png

I'm not exactly sure which colors I want to go with.

I was thinking the pinkish-orange one and maybe the blue and green, but I suppose I'll see what looks best with tiberium veins and such.

Edited by Rabbit

They don't really look like visceroids though... they look like cliché RPG slime blobs.

Guest Rabbit

Yeah, I'm going to try to retexture them and shape them up as much as I can.

Unfortunately, the visceroid art from Tiberian Sun is just too small for this game, and it's extremely hard to draw them by hand (or by pixel, or whatever you'd call it).

So that's why I'm going with the pre-made blobs, I'm just going to rework them as much as I can to make them look more like visceroids.

Was just doing some experiments, don't know if these look less "bloby" (probably need to see them in-game). Anyway, you might to give these a try and see if you like them or not.

These were made using XP's slime monster as a base.

post-3542-0-97867800-1405438450_thumb.png

post-3542-0-24335500-1405438460_thumb.png

More experiments...

These were intended to be the more fleshy Renegade-type with pseudopods and mouths. They might be a bit too large though at 96x96.

post-3542-0-27630700-1405440843_thumb.png

post-3542-0-46189700-1405440850_thumb.png