Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Beware of this Zero Hour mod ripping tool

Someone developed and released it in China allowing any modder to copycat any asset from one mod to your own created mod with just one click. Now this isn't allowed unless one asks permission from the original author(s) of any mod.

The thread from PPMSite forums explains the ordeal: http://ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38299&postorder=asc

Whatever you do, I recommend you don't use it at all.

I hope this doesn't happen to C&C3 Mod SDK and RA3 Mod SDK.

Edited by zocom7

It's China. They do this **** all the time. Best to just ignore them since there's nothing we can really do to stop them.

There is always a way to deal with those mofos...

BanHammer.jpg

Report them on ModDB and watch them cry.

lol, Chinese mods don't get on moddb. They stick to their own little corner.

I recall some Chinese kid making a mod for RA3 on ModDB. He used so many assets that were stolen from other mods or they at least looked like that. Many comments he got were nukes, to which he responded in broken English (I think he was saying he wasn't a thief, the usual bull****). Those screenshots eventually got taken down, IIRC, with all that is left being images with mutilated assets from TW, TT, SupCom and SC2. Some Contra rips survived, too. No update in 3 years.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/into-chaos

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

People nowadays don't bother working hard, they just resort to unethical methods.

What about personal use, if somebody were to rip out various assets from certain mods and keep it quiet online while playing a combined mod at home?

Edited by AZ-Stalker

I don't think anybody would frown much on that if the ripper would even speak about it, as long as it's not uploaded somewhere. It's the unpermitted use in public that hurts because it's like saying you made something when you didn't.

People nowadays don't bother working hard, they just resort to unethical methods.

Asset thievery is probably as old as modding itself :P

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery?

No wait, that was imitation :P