Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Tiberian Sun 15th Anniversary

Can you believe that Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun is now 15 years old? Many of the Command & Conquer games made by Westwood Studios are truly classics now simply based on their ages. Tiberian Sun is arguably the reason why the C&C Community exists today. Way back in 1997 when Tiberian Sun was announced many little fan sites popped up on the internet, including the early foundations for CNCNZ.com. You see, during the Command & Conquer and Red Alert early days, we never really had an online community, well I guess it was there, but Tiberian Sun sort of changed things in these early days, and the community exploded with activity in a short space of time. The hype for this game was huge, we followed its development intensely, studied every bit of news that Westwood gave to us.

K7hG6mj.jpg

Originally set for a late 1998 release, the game got pushed back to the 27th of August 1999. So 1998's biggest game got released in 1999. The game is still considered a true C&C by anyone's standards, but Westwood Studios promised a lot for Tiberian Sun and came up a little short. Tiberian Sun became an underwhelming experience with many of its over hyped, over marketed features simply cut from the game. It was during the development of Tiberian Sun that EA took over as the new owners of Westwood Studios, and people blame EA for the delayed release and cut features. When in fact if it wasn't for EA, Tiberian Sun may not have seen the light of day. It was Westwood who were digging themselves into a deep development hole. Simply promising too much and failing to deliver at the last hurdle. But it's not all bad, it was still a successful game, earning high reviews and general positive praise from fans despite the short comings. If anything it was saved by the powerful and rich story.

Tiberian Sun is now "freeware", if you have never played it or lost your copy, grab the download using the link below. The download also includes the Firestorm add-on.

:ts:Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun (1.3 GB)

Share your best Tiberian Sun memories and moments with us in this thread on our forums.

The freeware release of TS isn't really a installer as you need to install it manually.

Happy 15th anniversary TS!

Edited by Tore

That soundtrack, people. That soundtrack.

with many of its over hyped, over marketed features simply cut from the game.

I still want my daytime changes every 15 minutes.

When in fact if it wasn't for EA, Tiberian Sun may not have seen the light of day. It was Westwood who were digging themselves into a deep development hole.

To this day, one of EA's only good moments.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

The freeware release of TS isn't really a installer as you need to install it manually.

Technically speaking yeah, its not. But that's how its listed on the site, has been for awhile ;)

That soundtrack, people. That soundtrack.

The Tiberian Sun soundtrack is good, it works, but its a bit to atmospheric for my liking. Especially when tracks like Stomp were used in the trailers only to end up having it left out of the game.

Since this a Tiberian Sun topic, who ever got the Tiberian Sun Platinum Edition? Still have mine, in excellent condition :)

#190 to be exact.

RR3PY3m.jpg

VOdHau4.jpg

Especially when tracks like Stomp were used in the trailers only to end up having it left out of the game.

I'm not sure if it fits with the others. I have a currently-private patch for TS/FS in progress, so I might enable it while I'm testing.

Since this a Tiberian Sun topic, who ever got the Tiberian Sun Platinum Edition? Still have mine, in excellent condition :)

I envy everyone who has it. Which soldier did you get, again?

I envy everyone who has it. Which soldier did you get, again?

I've had 2 copies of the Platinum Edition over the years. Both times I got the GDI Soldier.

Always wanted the Platinum edition, but I was too young at the time and didn't have any money nor the means to find out about it. Discovered TS as one of my first RTS games. I didn't really have internet in those days and well, frankly, I was just a kid. Lots of fun memories.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

The Platinum Edition is pretty cool. I'm on the lookout for one. The coolest version of the one who has the red visor.

Platinum Edition? I don't recall that edition being sold in the US back then. All I got was the Deluxe Edition with both Tsun and Firestorm, a manual and the soundtrack CD. Tiberian Sun was overestimated to be epic but still a great solid game despite some flawed gameplay, balancing and 2D graphic content.

Edited by zocom7

Platinum Edition? I don't recall that edition being sold in the US back then.

I'm sure it was. It just got sold out very quickly.

All I got was the Deluxe Edition with both Tsun and Firestorm, a manual and the soundtrack CD.

Wasn't that pack called Tiberian Sun Firepower?

2D graphic content.

Everything has to have bling for you to be satisfied, eh?

I suppose I was lucky that I did not get involved in the C&C community until after Yuri's Revenge. I did not hear any hype for Tiberian Sun and only bought it because I liked Command & Conquer and Red Alert. For me, Tiberian Sun exceeded my expectations, and I was quite pleased with the game. Although I did like the prior games, Tiberian Sun was probably the game that made me a real fan of the franchise.

I really don't care what faults Tiberian Sun may have had, or promises that weren't kept. For me, it was as flawless as could be expected from any game.

• Upvote 1