Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Windows 10 will be free to upgrade for a year

Update: This only applies to users of Windows 8 and even Windows 7! http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/21/free-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-first-year-after-release

Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-announces-windows-10-coming-in-2015/

As for the preview demo download, here it is (it updates frequently until the next update): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Edited by zocom7

Guest Rabbit

There was a time when windows 7 users could upgrade to windows 8. Looks like you missed that train.

Isn't he still Windows XP's suckling? He didn't just miss the train, he is still riding coal-fired steam locomotives.

There was a time when windows 7 users could upgrade to windows 8. Looks like you missed that train.

That was free only for a limited time when Win8 was released. I passed because Win8 was a flop. Win8 had no influence for desktop users and for some gamers because the features fit for any user using a touchscreen.

Isn't he still Windows XP's suckling? He didn't just miss the train, he is still riding coal-fired steam locomotives.

Actually I did attempt using the Internet under Win7, except I hate Windows hidden exe programs that can do hidden updates. I only did that to load Origin and download Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 (game time trial). The worst scenario now is that there isn't a simple firewall like ZoneAlarm 8 to be compatible to Win7, and ZoneAlarm 13 was terrible whereas ZoneAlarm 8 was incompatible. The first time I used the latest version of Comodo Firewall, I did not like the complex and complicated settings.

Guest Rabbit

That was free only for a limited time when Win8 was released.

That's the point. It's going to be free now for a limited time. People who bought recently are being given a chance to upgrade for free now while windows 9 is in it's early stages. That's the trade off. There's no reason why they should let windows 7 or Vista (really?) users upgrade for free, because they've gone longer without paying money to Microsoft.

I am completely shocked that Microsoft decided not to name the next new Windows as Windows 9 and went through to Windows 10. Maybe they should call it Windows X instead.

I'm guessing the Windows 10 name is more for marketing purposes. The Windows 9 name was never officially used anyway, during development it was simply called "Threshold". Microsoft now have the job of convincing people that its better than Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.

If your still on Windows XP, why the **** are you still clinging that obsolete operating system?

Do you know why I still use WinXP for Internet over Win7? Win7 may be more stable than WinXP, but WinXP has less usage of RAM and there's no hidden spyware processes. Win7 uses a lot of "exe" processes and RAM when I first time went over the Internet. I use Windows 7 mostly for gaming and other tasking purposes while older programs I use must still rely on XP. Even most of the Chinese still use XP today (and that's a fact).

Win7 may be more stable than WinXP, but WinXP has less usage of RAM and there's no hidden spyware processes.

WTF???

Win7 uses a lot of "exe" processes and RAM when I first time went over the Internet.

If your computer has even a remotely good configuration, RAM shouldn't be an issue. Firefox sounds more like the one that devours RAM, not Windows :P

I've been using Win7 on my new laptop for a little more than 2 months and I've had minimal issues with running anything I want (except on startup, it's sometimes sluggish).

Even most of the Chinese still use XP today (and that's a fact).

Many people and smaller companies in non-Western countries use WinXP because they don't have the money for a new license (if they want it to be legal) or use highly improvised workarounds. Or are oblivious to the support shutdown in general. That's also a fact.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Guest Rabbit

WinXP has less usage of RAM

Windows 2000 uses less RAM than windows XP.

Windows 98 uses less RAM than windows 2000.

Windows 95 uses less RAM than windows 98.

The list goes on. You can't use the need for better resources as the reason you don't upgrade and then act like your current system is better because it doesn't need those resources.

Last I heard, Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can get a copy of Windows 10 (OEM or Retail) for a much cheaper cost. I'll be cashing that in when I have the chance.

Reason behind the Win10 name seems to be...

A Reddit user named Cranbourne--who claims to be a Microsoft dev--says the number skip most likely was in reaction to shorthand used by programmers back in the era of Windows 95 and 98. Essentially, the coders would write "Windows 9x" to refer to either of those Windows versions.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/02/windows-10-name-likely-due-to-20-year-old-software-code

Main update in the first post. Those Windows 7 users are lucky for this offer.

Finally Microsoft decided to dump ten things out from Windows 8 into Windows 10: http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/the-windows-8-scrap-heap-10-features-that-didnt-make-it-to-windows-10

Also this: http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/windows-8-one-year-later-10-mistakes-microsoft-made-and-how-they-plan-to-fix-things

Even also this: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7865973/microsoft-windows-10-new-desktop-features

Bill Gates used to have the brightest and best ideas on what to put into Windows OSs, but now, not anymore, since no one in Microsoft thinks differently like Steve Jobs.

Edited by zocom7

That's the point. It's going to be free now for a limited time. People who bought recently are being given a chance to upgrade for free now while windows 9 is in it's early stages. That's the trade off. There's no reason why they should let windows 7 or Vista (really?) users upgrade for free, because they've gone longer without paying money to Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't make their money off of consumer Windows licensing, they make it off of their enterprise customer contracts. It is easier for them to take the small hit of not charging consumers for upgrades for a year in order to get as many people onto the Windows 10 ecosystem as possible so that they can avoid another Windows XP scenario where people stay on the same outdated OS for a decade or more. With Win10 they're adopting a more continuous update regime like OSX or Android that may make this the last "version" of Windows as all future updates will get rolled out without needing to get a new license or install. It's a lot easier for them to support their software that way.

I hate to come back here for this commenting about Windows 10. Although I did try testing out Windows 10 Tech Preview, the results are discouraging and mixed.

I'll bet most Chinese and some others with dodgy copies of Win7/8 are probably NOT going to fall for that "spyware trap" on a free upgrade of Windows 10. :snooty:

Another thing to point out with Windows 10 coming for release this summer, there's still heavy criticism on its design, especially icons, like as if the design's a step backward worse than Windows 8. Barely any 3D shadowing effects, barely any 3D design looks, barely any new window effects and not even enough new features to Win10. I am disappointed. :mellow:

As for Cortana, MS new AI voice, I prefer Braina over Cortana, because that voice can work both online and offline, unlike Cortana that requires only online access to use it entirely.

What's even frustrating is that the Advanced Appearances option to edit the sizes/color of the icons/fonts is gone replacing with a crappy option of changing sizes of entire texts and icons to go with the proper resolution. Worse than that, you can't even change their default fonts!

Edited by zocom7

This is the File Explorer in Windows 8.1, taken from my PC....

RjPUBg3.png

And this the File Explorer in what is apparently the latest Windows 10 build....

bIs0mRu.png

What's with the low colour icons? Crap looking minimise/maximise/close buttons.

Probably just as well Windows 10 will be free because by the appearance alone they can't sell it to me.

Well, the glossy fashion got pretty "old" for some reason, everything everywhere is being simplified. The Win10 icons look *somewhat* decent, but seriously, that Download icon had 0 effort.

Those Win10 icons should be just right for Windows XP. :intent::hate: The XP icons were really much Win2000 icons. The icons used in Windows 8.1 are just right for Windows 10.... apparently.

Those Win10 icons should be just right for Windows XP. :intent::hate: The XP icons were really much Win2000 icons. The icons used in Windows 8.1 are just right for Windows 10.... apparently.

original.jpg

Ekhem...

"What in God's holy name are you blathering about?!"