Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

CNCNZ.com Poll: What is Your Favourite Command & Conquer Soundtrack?

It has been awhile since the poll was changed. Mostly due to me not being able to think of a good topic for a new one. But I've come up with something now. For this poll I decided to concentrate on the Music of the Command & Conquer. So pick your universe then vote for the soundtrack from the game that you like the most. To vote in this poll you need to be on the main page of our site, and cast your vote in the poll box on the right side bar. You can also check the the current results in the Poll Archives. And, as always, don't forget to share any feedback or comments about this poll as well.

polls-header.png

Here's a quick look at our previous poll, Have you started playing on C&C: Online? These were some surprising results here, 57% of the people who vote don't play online at all. While is appears that Generals & Zero Hour are the most popular C&C game still being played online. Full results can be found in the Poll Archives.

Guest Rabbit

Now that's a good poll question, and I had a tough time answering it.

I have to vote for the first game.

Other songs may arguably be superior, but first impressions make or break it for me.

Wow, this was a tough choice. Good poll.

I was stuck between C&C95, Tiberian Sun, and Red Alert 2. I chose C&C95. Musically, RA2's soundtrack may be the best to me, but C&C95's was the most memorable. Call it nostalgia, I had a lot of fun as a kid listening to Act on Instinct, Mechanical Man, and No Mercy. They were very simple, yet made an unforgettable impact.

TS had amazing ambient tracks. They really set up the mood and the feel of the game. I remember Klepacki once said that in hindsight, he should have made a few more musically-traditional tracks for TS, and that's why for Firestorm they included Killing Machines and Slave to the System.

For RenX, we composed a lot of tracks that were remakes of original C&C95 tracks:

I love the Red Alert soundtrack because Frank Klepacki created the best soundtrack among all other C&C soundtracks, including one of his best tracks, Hell March.

Edited by zocom7

RA2 wins for me. Although the final playlist of vanilla RA2 is rather short, they've been ordered in a very natural and pleasing way, other than being just awesome. Wish I could say the same for most commented-out tracks.

YR was kinda decent, but not something I'd listen to away from the game.

Oh man... that really is a tough one. I absolutely love the ambient tracks in C&C1 and The Covert Operations, but some of the series' most gripping music is definitely in Red Alert 1. I don't think there's anything that gets above "Trenches" in my personal top.

For some horrible, outrageous reason, though, "Trenches" isn't on the soundtrack CD... so I'll have to go with C&C1 instead.

The soundtrack discs are more for shows, I believe. Not a single one is complete and there are no expansion tracks (except, IIRC, a very strange mix in the TD disc). I really don't know why they omitted Tension in favour of the cut tracks in the RA2 disc :facepalm:

Well, the poll specifically lists the names of the soundtrack CDs... so not the full game soundtrack.

Thankfully, for TD, I got the Sega Saturn version's CD audio, which gives me a lot more of the music in full quality :)

By the way, "To Be Feared" from the TD soundtrack is also a cut track... well, except for the fact my patch reactivates it ;)

Oh, on the subject of the TD soundtrack... I believe it contains, in fact, all Covert Operations tracks, except the cut "C&C 80s mix" one.

I know. But they do limit the music available to choose from :P

There are limits to the amount of music a CD can hold, so the exclusion of some tracks from the various CD releases over the years is understandable.

There is no excuse for the piss poor selection that was served up on the Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Music Collection though. That was a let down.

Plokite_Wolf, if your going to post, try a little more than a couple of qoutes and an emote. Plus I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make.

But yes in the early days, shortly after the release of Tiberian Sun, there was some criticism from the fans about the soundtrack. I think it was more shock at the choice of style. The atmospheric music as opposed to the hard rock and up tempo tracks from C&C and Red Alert. Frank has discussed this in a few interviews over the years.

A rock/metal-style soundtrack would fit only the mechs in the game in individual battles, while the moody and sci-fi-ey tracks fit the universe and setting as a whole better. I was surprised why people made such a big problem out of that, even at release :P