Sign in to follow this  
Sven Stursberg

Compatibility TFD 1.03 vs non TFD Games in LAN?

I'm planning to do an old fashioned C&C LAN Party in the coming month (just some friends, nothing public).

While I have two TFDs and asked the attendees to also bring theirs if they have, I'm wondering if there are any LAN compatibility issues should someone have either single, original games or the Ultimate Collection installed on their computers.

Thx :)

Depends on the game you're asking about.

Generals patch 1.08 was made specifically to fix an issue with connecting to regular disc users (Zero Hour didn't have this problem). The no-CDs given by the TFD 1.03 r4 patch you can find on CNCNZ.com are compatible with all other users.

I'm not sure about Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge/Renegade with the TFD 1.03 no-CDs, but they should be compatible when patched to 1.02.

However, The Ultimate Collection versions may have some issues if you don't download this.

For TD/RA1/TS/FS, you'll be better off getting a freeware pack:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

http://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Thx for the quick reply :)

Yeah, actually it was meant to play mostly RA2/YR and Generals/ZH.

From what I understood, you're saying that Generals 'Stand Alone' 1.08 should have no issues with TfD 1.03r4, same for ZH on 1.04

RA2/YR should work but I don't fully understand what you're saying about 1.02. RA2 official should be 1.006 and YR 1.001

Renegade is out of scope as we, if we're going to play this, will be using RenegadeX

From what I understood, you're saying that Generals 'Stand Alone' 1.08 should have no issues with TfD 1.03r4, same for ZH on 1.04

Correct. I have the TFD 1.03 version of Generals/Zero Hour and I'm able to connect to everyone on C&C:Online.

If you can't connect to each other, though, try installing GenTool.

RA2/YR should work but I don't fully understand what you're saying about 1.02. RA2 official should be 1.006 and YR 1.001

The 1.02 I referred to is TFD 1.02. You are welcome to try and patch it to 1.03 for RA2/YR as well, but I don't guarantee it'll work.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Thank you again. I guess I'll have a try with the single games installed on another machine then. I'm well equipped when it comes to C&C games luckily :)

Tried ;)

PC1: Win 8.1, TfD, PC2: Vista, All single game versions

Gen/ZH: Works :)

RA2/YR: Works :)

TS: Works :)

FS: Doesn't! (Incompatible versions, might be the W8.1 patch)

w00t. If you have FS, TS and FS are launched from the same executable :o I hope Nyerguds or FunkyFr3sh can tell you more on this, this is most strange.

Did you all have the same version (from the link I gave you, for instance?)

Problem solved. TfD 1.03 inoff.: You need to rename the 'expand02.mix' in the SUN directory. It seems like it's regarded as a mod by the original program

Update in general: Renegade works as well... :)

Edited by Sven Stursberg

Hey, I'm mostly the C&C1 guy, and C&C95, either upgraded to or simply downloaded as v1.06, should have no problems whatsoever. Except I heard 6 player games don't work right, capping the games to 5 players.

Problem solved. TfD 1.03 inoff.: You need to rename the 'expand02.mix' in the SUN directory. It seems like it's regarded as a mod by the original program

Yeah... that videos addon I made should never have been added to the patch, really. Though I still think it's ridiculously dumb that adding a few entries to the videos list makes the game incompatible. -_-

Then again, if you have it on all machines it shouldn't give any issues either. Though, I guess if you're just doing LAN, that isn't terribly useful ;)

Yeah... that videos addon I made should never have been added to the patch, really. Though I still think it's ridiculously dumb that adding a few entries to the videos list makes the game incompatible. -_-

What ISN'T ridiculously dumb in TibSun's coding...

Ahh! I thought I recognized that avatar :)

Been a while since I've visited cncforen.de; I usually just go alert people of new versions, but there hasn't been much activity on my C&C95 patch for the last few years -_-

cncforen.de is merely dead for years now. Still running and with a little activity in the off topic sections but no longer open to new registrations due to spambot issues.

But I'm planning a nostalgic small LAN party with some friends (~10) - that's why I've asked these compatiblity questions over here :)

Ahh, what a pity. So many good sites are dead now. C&C Den, PlanetC&C, CnCWorld...

Well well, haven't seen you in ages on C&C forums :D

(though I did spot you on U2.com ;) )

Yes, i spend more time on U2.com these days... not much going on in the cnc world anymore.

Frankaz, on 22 Dec 2014 - 20:29, said:

I hear Frankaz was burned as a witch too... Shame. :(

Eh. He had it coming. :P
  • Upvote 1

So now that our LAN Party is just over:

It doesn't seem like TfD 1.03 Rev 4 and Stand Alone / Ultimate RA2/YR games are fully compatible :(

We had 4 computers with TfD 1.03 , 1 Ultimate and 3 Stand Alone.

Whenever we attempted to play 6 or 8 player games we had to face reconnection errors within the first couple of minutes.

We then tried Stand Alone vs TfD in smaller groups with the same result.

4 players using Stand Alone / Ultimate had no problems at all

4 players TfD ran without errors too but the game turned slower and slower the longer it went. In the end there was 1 game second 4 realtime seconds.

Could you please look into this?

Not sure what "stand alone" version of RA2 you used... RA2 isn't freeware.

I think that means the individual CDs :P