Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Happy New Year - Welcome to 2015

A little late in posting this, as its already ticked over to the 2nd of January here in New Zealand. It's well and truly 2015 everywhere in the world now. I guess we can look back on 2014 as very disappointing year in terms of Command & Conquer. With no official word from EA about the franchise's future since the October 2013 cancellation of Command & Conquer, it was extremely difficult to keep CNCNZ.com fresh and updated. Many of our staff have moved on (or lost interest) and anything that was in the works has been put on on hold indefinitely. We did keep up with most modding news though, but we can only post so much. In the past couple months my own motivation as dropped somewhat.

3tRvC.png

It wasn't all doom and gloom during the past Command & Conquer year though. The Totem Arts team deserve some recognition for delivering two major releases of Renegade X. The rebirth of Renegade's unrivalled gameplay received plenty of coverage here at CNCNZ.com and lots of high praise around the community. On a personal note, Renegade X would have to be my C&C highlight of the year. And the efforts of Revora creating C&C: Online must be mentioned as well. Games like Generals, Tiberium Wars, Kane's Wrath and Red Alert 3 would be dead and buried without C&C: Online. stepping in after the demise of GameSpy. So make sure you give them some support, especially if you still continue to play online and have fun doing so.

As I've always done in the past, I post a quick list of credits and thanks to those who make CNCNZ.com possible.

• The CNCNZ.com Staff have contributed unique content for the site and forums throughout the year.
  • For many years now our friends at at Revora have provided our hosting, without their support CNCNZ.com would obviously be nothing.
  • Many thanks and respect goes to all supporters, visitors and members on our forums, as well as other our friends through out the Command & Conquer Community.

So it's a Happy New Year from CNCNZ.com! We have no idea what 2015 holds for Command & Conquer. Will EA blow the dust off the franchise and bring it back? Is the franchise still relevant? I will admit for the first time in many years I'm not sure if CNCNZ.com will make it to 2016, but my commitment remains strong. Let's take it month by month and see how things go.

First of all, happy New Year to everyone who visits this forum, may it be one that counts!

Now, to reflect your post...

while I share your pessimism and disappointment on the lack of activity on the C&C front in 2014, I can only slap everyone in the remaining C&C community. Almost nobody here can enjoy the titles we already have (hello, 19 titles in total and a bazillion quality mods!), create content and entertain themselves without an EA project pending. The fact that there are no upcoming C&C games in the pipeline doesn't mean that everything should die off. We're talking about a franchise that helped build an entire genre, a franchise that (hopefully!) we still hold dear and have awesome memories from. Being a C&C fan doesn't mean to follow EA like a shadow, it means to make the most of what you have right now. I've played more games than I can count, but I'd always return to C&C. Why? Because I've loved it since day 1. I don't want to believe there aren't people who don't do the same.

Instead of warning of a potential closure in 2016, you should take this as a challenge, Sonic. Now, when our "dear publisher" has visibly turned its back on us, we see who really is a C&C fan. And there is something happening this year that may well motivate you. Arise from your ashes, C&C fans. Be the phoenix you expect to come and save you.

while I share your pessimism and disappointment on the lack of activity on the C&C front in 2014, I can only slap everyone in the remaining C&C community. Almost nobody here can enjoy the titles we already have (hello, 19 titles in total and a bazillion quality mods!), create content and entertain themselves without an EA project pending. The fact that there are no upcoming C&C games in the pipeline doesn't mean that everything should die off. We're talking about a franchise that helped build an entire genre, a franchise that (hopefully!) we still hold dear and have awesome memories from. Being a C&C fan doesn't mean to follow EA like a shadow, it means to make the most of what you have right now. I've played more games than I can count, but I'd always return to C&C. Why? Because I've loved it since day 1. I don't want to believe there aren't people who don't do the same.

I actually agree with you but there is no denying that when a new C&C game is announced the community springs back to life.

Instead of warning of a potential closure in 2016, you should take this as a challenge, Sonic.

Poor choice of words on my part to be honest. Like I said I'm still committed to this site. I still have ideas to roll out, new things to implement. But of course this will all take extra time as I don't spend hours and hours at the computer any more. Especially in the summer months ;) What I really should have said is I expect CNCNZ.com to be here in 12 months but I'm not sure how active it will be. But we do face uncertain future for the franchise and community as a whole.

I actually agree with you but there is no denying that when a new C&C game is announced the community springs back to life.

It may be so, but it's pointless to base activity on a game that's unlikely to ever be announced. Do not identify yourself with fakers and sellouts who just want new stuff. You run a site with a long tradition and you don't need any of that.

Poor choice of words on my part to be honest. Like I said I'm still committed to this site. I still have ideas to roll out, new things to implement. But of course this will all take extra time as I don't spend hours and hours at the computer any more. Especially in the summer months ;) What I really should have said is I expect CNCNZ.com to be here in 12 months but I'm not sure how active it will be. But we do face uncertain future for the franchise and community as a whole.

It will be as active as the staff and other members make it to be. Nobody will do anything without staff effort, but keeping them still puzzles me even on sites I'm staff in. I do know, however, that newsposts made in the past year or so do not have as many replies as before, and I don't think heartless floating in a status quo will help much.

I'm here for the long term.

Long live C&C!