Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

CNCNZ.com Poll: Official C&C Forums Closed Down

We have our first new poll for this year. For this poll we are focusing on the hottest subject in the C&C Community right now. How do you feel about the Official C&C Forums being closed down? What best describes your thoughts on the official forums being unceremoniously wiped out recently. Are you fine with it, because we didn't need them anyway, perhaps it really annoys you, or you simply don't care because you never really used them. To vote in this poll you need to be on the main page of our site, and cast your vote in the poll box on the right side bar. You can also check the the current results in the Poll Archives. And, as always, don't forget to share any feedback or comments about this poll as well.

polls-header.png

Lets take a quick look at our previous poll, What is your favourite Command & Conquer soundtrack? Plenty of total votes for this one, but it looks like the Red Alert 2 Original Soundtrack is the favourite among many C&C fans with 28% of the votes. Full results can be found in the Poll Archives.

Mixed feelings, tbh. They dwindled into **** with all those "where's my beta" threads being the majority of topics started since October 2013, but it also had some good and informative threads that would've made it worthwhile to keep.

The options in the poll don't quite match up to the situation at hand. As PW said they were full of useless threads but a lot of good things were kept there. The real question the poll should have asked is how do we feel about how EA is handling the situation, because closing down the forums without any notice isn't the way to go, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I've already made my thoughts clear in the other news threads on this matter.

Edited by AZ-Stalker
  • Upvote 1

Mostly neutral about it but I will miss the forums.

The real question the poll should have asked is how do we feel about how EA is handling the situation

People would either say "I'm mad at them" or "I care as much as EA does", so it wouldn't need much of a poll :D

I am a little mixed on this poll. My reaction = disappointed. But it didn't matter anyway as my life of C&C gaming is about to come to an end including my time here at CNCNZ.

But it didn't matter anyway as my life of C&C gaming is about to come to an end including my time here at CNCNZ.

Jumping on the "no C&C news, no playing C&C" bandwagon, eh?

After the cancellation, the forum became dead and deteriorated into a cesspool of **** posts. Obviously that is expected, so it definitely isn't a great loss (presently) with the removal of the official forums; however, the forums did contain useful threads and they are now gone... so that is a pity. I suppose I'll miss the small community that grew from the Generals playtesting, it was nice to see C&C finally get some attention and much needed activity again -- unfortunately, that did not last. Overall, my reaction is a small amount of disappointment. C&C has taken all my disappointment away, very little left to give. :P

Of course, I do hope the forums return when EA decides to take another shot with the C&C franchise.

Edited by CyborgBanana

To me, landing on the C&C website and finding nothing but The Ultimate Collection and the MMO was like the day, a decade or so ago, when I typed westwood.com and ended up on the EA site. My heart sank thinking that it was the end of an era, and unfortunately in that instance I was correct, though not immediately, but in a steady decline.

I never joined the forum, simply dropping in from time to time to find info for the classics and to see what was new, however the loss is quite significant to the community regardless of good, bad or ugly content. Ultimately it was a record of all that had come to be during its existence, and a database of useful insights/ opinions/ methodologies etc.

As for the future, I personally do not hold the same optimism expressed by Plokite_Wolf in another thread with regard to upcoming developments. Instead I think that this is just "clean-up" by EA to ensure that newcomers to the franchise are not put off by seeing links to null content, and messages from unhappy people in the forum.

However, as the good professor once said: "Time will tell. Sooner or later, time will tell......"

As for the future, I personally do not hold the same optimism expressed by Plokite_Wolf in another thread with regard to upcoming developments.

I wasn't optimistic, actually. I was just desperately hoping. And I was trying to avoid everyone getting depressed and leaving the community just because the official forums are down, which seems to be going on anyway :P

The options in the poll don't quite match up to the situation at hand.

Like all past polls, I try to keep them as simple and to the point as possible. They are considered on the spot snap polls. You make a choice right there and then without over thinking things.

Personally for me, I will not miss the horrible mess that was the Official C&C Forums. I'm more annoyed about the main official site, or lack there of.

I didn't visit the official C&C forums much, but its shutting-down symbolizes another end for C&C. It shows that they are no longer willing to even host a C&C-themed message board, let alone continue the franchise for the time being. It reminds me of the period between 2003-2007, where we saw no C&C games or news until C&C3. Hopefully C&C will come back someday, but who knows. For the time being, it's important to continue supporting C&C-themed indie games and mods.

It reminds me of the period between 2003-2007, where we saw no C&C games or news until C&C3.

There's quite a difference between that period and now, mind you. Westwood's site wasn't shut down until 2005/6 when it was replaced with that little TFD showcase page (if anyone remembers), and even then it had more content than it does now. On the community front, fansites, mod projects and forums boomed cca 2005, when there was next to no evidence of new C&C games coming up.

Apparently, people didn't even need a new C&C game in the pipeline to enjoy the franchise back then. Why is this not the case now? Why do people shed tears over an already unstable entity that is CommandAndConquer.com instead of going back to what they already have? For crying out loud, we have NINETEEN titles (some of which are terribad, but irrelevant) of which everyone has at least one favourite, we have community projects like patches for the oldies and CnCNet/C&C:Online, we still have several forums to go to and chat... We even have tools and online services which can be used to make kickass creative stuff that can be related to C&C - videos, images, music, mods/indies themselves... Why not use that, I ask you? I get the feeling I'm preaching this to deaf ears, as what I see in here lately is just depression or general apathy to everything.

I voted "Doesn't bother me, I never used them anyway", but this isn't a completely accurate description. I am somewhat bothered by what this means for the future of C&C, but I don't really care about the forums themselves.

On the community front, fansites, mod projects and forums boomed cca 2005, when there was next to no evidence of new C&C games coming up.

There are reasons why there was more life in the community back then.

Modding back then was so easy, just about anyone could do it. The newer games require more knowledge and higher-end (possibly not-free) software before you can mod them.

Although modding is probably not usually counted, I do consider it a big part of replayability. But in addition, the older games were harder, meaning you might not be able to beat an entire campaign in one day (*ahem* RA3), and trying again at a later time still offered a challenge.

The latest games also tend to put a lot more emphasis on building the biggest group of tanks in the shortest amount of time. I know what you're thinking, this is a defining point of C&C, isn't it? But due to one unit at a time build limits, queue caps, and slower income, making a massive army wasn't as simple of a matter and you had to consider logistics and strategy. More mindless massing = less long-term appeal = less replayability.

The newer games are all about how fast you can click, even RA3's attempt at micromanaging with secondary abilities is more about clicking speed than tactics. I'm not actually sure how much tactics come into play with TT, but that game isn't fun, so that point becomes irrelevant anyway.

Modding back then was so easy, just about anyone could do it. The newer games require more knowledge and higher-end (possibly not-free) software before you can mod them.

Maybe, but I don't see the reason people shouldn't mod Tiberian Sun or Yuri's Revenge even today if they aren't comfortable with TW/KW/RA3.

Although modding is probably not usually counted, I do consider it a big part of replayability. But in addition, the older games were harder, meaning you might not be able to beat an entire campaign in one day (*ahem* RA3), and trying again at a later time still offered a challenge.

I actually find RA2 campaigns (except for Soviet 12) to be far less challenging on Hard than certain RA3 missions on Medium.

The latest games also tend to put a lot more emphasis on building the biggest group of tanks in the shortest amount of time. I know what you're thinking, this is a defining point of C&C, isn't it? But due to one unit at a time build limits, queue caps, and slower income, making a massive army wasn't as simple of a matter and you had to consider logistics and strategy. More mindless massing = less long-term appeal = less replayability.

KW often leaves a possibility of acrobatic comebacks after being severely crippled by large forces or bad economy. Hope

can illustrate my point. RA3 can get pretty exciting as well, as seen

Also, aside from RA1, KW and RA3 are currently the most competitively played C&C games. I don't think it's achieved just like that.

I wasn't optimistic, actually. I was just desperately hoping. And I was trying to avoid everyone getting depressed and leaving the community just because the official forums are down, which seems to be going on anyway :P

Well I can mirror the sentiment of hope, and there's no reason why another game won't come to fruition eventually =) I see no reason to get depressed and "abandon ship", things come and go, c'est la vie, but they are almost always replaced by something else. Looking at the TA forum, it seems a number of people from there have migrated to here, and I would guess other places as well. ;) Also, good point with regard to mods as the scale and scope is almost inexhaustible, especially with so many base titles to work from! =)

Sorry, my phone seems to dislike quoting, and other things....

Edited by Plokite_Wolf
Fixed quote for readability

Well I can mirror the sentiment of hope, and there's no reason why another game won't come to fruition eventually =) I see no reason to get depressed and "abandon ship", things come and go, c'est la vie, but they are almost always replaced by something else. Looking at the TA forum, it seems a number of people from there have migrated to here, and I would guess other places as well. ;) Also, good point with regard to mods as the scale and scope is almost inexhaustible, especially with so many base titles to work from! =)

Sorry, my phone seems to dislike quoting, and other things....

Don't have any hope for it to happen while there's a certain EA executive still around.

well this sucks mods cant keep older games alive for ever。we a new cnc game lol。cnc must not die!

well this sucks mods cant keep older games alive for ever。we a new cnc game lol。cnc must not die!

Explain YR, then.

Uh oh, guess who is back.

Okay seriously, been awhile since I commented here but I figured I chime in on this. Basically my sentiment is the same as others. I haven't really used the forums in years and they were most likely a huge mess before they were shut down. What it symbolizes to me? Not going to start saying it is the beginning of the end for C&C, more than likely though, it is EA being very indifferent about the series. They really just don't give a crap about it right now and won't for sometime until they actually make a decent chuck of change out of it.

As for the feeling of apathy for C&C, do you really blame people feeling that way? I sure don't because I am up there with them. We have been burned one too many times over the past few years alone, so holding out hope for another C&C coming out, and it being any good, is somewhat of a losing game. "Once bitten, twice shy" or "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." as the sayings go holds very true to this series.

Also with the emergence of new RTS games coming out, some being quite promising like Grey Goo, I think a new Command & Conquer game is going to have a hell of a mountain to climb to be called the king of RTS again. I'll be honest, if a new C&C is announced I'll look into it, but it won't be with great excitement, maybe if they start a new storyline with new factions and such but even though, I'm going to be extremely reserved. Last time I got excited was for Generals 2 and we know what the end result was...

But until then, guess the only thing EA is going to do is try to sell The Ultimate Collection and shove that farce of "C&C Game" that is TA.

As for the feeling of apathy for C&C, do you really blame people feeling that way? I sure don't because I am up there with them. We have been burned one too many times over the past few years alone, so holding out hope for another C&C coming out, and it being any good, is somewhat of a losing game. "Once bitten, twice shy" or "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." as the sayings go holds very true to this series.

So you too seem to throw everything (both good and bad) of the franchise's history out of the window just becuase EA isn't planning a new C&C?

Mixed feelings, tbh. They dwindled into **** with all those "where's my beta" threads being the majority of topics started since October 2013

That's not really a fair assessment, since that was purely caused by EA never updating the website and tricking people into buying TUC. Those people had a right to know, and the forums were sadly the only communications channel left.

That's not really a fair assessment, since that was purely caused by EA never updating the website and tricking people into buying TUC. Those people had a right to know, and the forums were sadly the only communications channel left.

They apparently didn't read news from fansites or gaming news sites/channels/mags. Or even Wikipedia. In one whole year.

I still think you're a fool if you bought TUC just for beta access.

• Upvote 2

It's called buyer beware when purchasing C&C:TUC. Yeah, that Beta access promotion you can consider terminated. All promotions can be terminated without prior warning at "X" publisher's discretion.