Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Red Alert: A Path Beyond Latest Dev Blog

The latest dev blog for Red Alert: A Path Beyond has been posted at Bluehell Productions. This update covers a few things. First a recap of the events that took place to get W3D Hub up and running, a place that Tiberian Sun: Reborn and Red Alert 2: Apocalypse Rising now call home. In more positive news, there is an updated version of the BHP Launcher available. You can also check out the new look Medium Tank.

35erGT9.jpg

Click here for the full dev blog.

That thread's actually a ragefest between two butthurt sides. Oh, and a cute little tank, too! The combination is a pure win.

If I was Chronojam I wouldn't have even wasted time my time mentioning it. But I guess he felt the BHP community there had the right to know exactly what and how it happened.

They had their reasons. They were fearing being deprived of working on a project they'd started just because of a logistical/organizational issue (results seen here, among else). CJ just keeps rotating one identical argument like a broken record (and the issue he refers to has already been handled, the way I see it), while W3D Hub is doing little to wash the "filth" from their name.

Well I consider Chronojam a good friend, he's helped me with some stuff for CNCNZ.com in the past, so I support his actions. He's only fighting for what he feels is right. Defending BHP and APB etc....

Not the impression I get from his posting style and that of most of his remaining co-workers...

Sonic, there is so much you probably don't even know about all of this (neither do I, actually). And this news post looks oddly in favour of BHP, indirectly calling out W3D Hub. Go jump over to W3D or get in a real one-on-one discussion with some of the people from over there if you want the full story which often gets kicked aside in favour of talking about the all-so-interesting "shady work" that was done. People should be more interested in why both TSR and AR left, not how they handled it. W3D staff are doing what they can to remedy the situation.

Smoke screens should not be seen as something to concentrate on, but rather the situation they hide inside of them. I've seen BHP posts - why are they suddenly so unprofessional in public? The answer could very well be internal drama. I've been speaking to people who know a lot more about all of this and we have no right to accuse W3D Hub and continue to point towards the messy rise of their site. What's done is done. I'm not for dividing the community, but this obviously had to be done. W3D even extended both hands to remedy the situation and are offering options like BHP servers being included on their launcher (more exposure) and everything they can to help the community survive this, for the sake of C&C. Why are we not pointing out things like that in news posts?

BHP changelong - unprofessional and probably a frustration vent. (?)

What's New in Version 0.5.0.11 (See full changelog)

• Back to a version where W3D Hub Doesn't have control.
  • #dramallama

One Winged Angel's statements from this discussion are an important factor to note in all of this.

That's all I'll say on the matter, since I don't want to jump into something I'm not fully aware of. I hope we can all get over this and continue with keeping C&C alive in our own ways.

EDIT: BHP still has a big TSR Titan in the background on their main site among other things. A bit hypocritical? In any case, these things should get sorted out in the near future - nobody wants a modding scene cold war on their hands.

Edited by Sonic

This is really unfortunate. I've had a lot of past experiences with forum communities splitting apart and starting their own thing, and all of this looks all too familiar. From what I can gather, things could have gone way better if both sides had done something different (I am of the opinion that nobody is without fault in many bad situations; anyone could have done something differently).

In this case, BHP could have listened to their staff and community a little more with any of the issues that caused this schism, but W3D could have made a better effort to voice these concerns or make a difference to these problems (from what I've heard on both sides, not much of an effort was made). But stealing personal data to start your own forum and jacking the launcher? REALLY?

Had they gone through the effort to just simply start their own forum and actually wrote the code for their own launcher I would've been like "Hey, you know they had some issues but they handled it in a mature way", but this all makes it kind of evident that we aren't dealing with a highly professional development community.

I hope they can actually sort these things out; it's TOTALLY possible for both sides to swallow their pride and come to a compromise of sorts and come together as one community. But at the moment, I can't say I have intention of supporting W3D in anything they're doing, if for the only reason that there's no way I can trust them with my personal data after this.

Am I the only one who isn't bothered with the transfer of user accounts (many of which had their passwords automatically reset after the revelation)? It's not like they can hack your bank account with your BHP forum password. And even if they could, I doubt they would. Their intention was to separate from BHP, not have a party with your stuff you may or may not posted on BHP's forums. The argument is moot.

I can see why you aren't bothered with it, but it's still the concept of what they just did, especially considering they hardly needed to do it. Even if the data I'm giving isn't something like my bank-account or credit card, I really don't like they idea that they're willing to just take that data and do what they want with it (note that I said willing).

They did it to obtain blogs and data related to TSR and AR. The fact that they copied the database made it much easier to get them.

Had they gone through the effort to just simply start their own forum and actually wrote the code for their own launcher

You realise that nobody in BHP has written a single line of code for the launcher they are currently using? I wrote the entire codebase (including the PHP code for the server side) myself and when we launched W3D Hub I rebranded it for our new community. If anyone should be "writing the code for their own launcher" it should be BHP, although I have not and do not intend to imply that they are not welcome to continue using the launcher I provided for them.

The fact that you didn't even know this shows how little you actually understand of the situation. Maybe you should try reading both sides of the story before jumping on a bandwagon?

Anyhow, I'm not here to start a debate with anyone, I'm just clearing up one of many oft-overlooked facts in this matter.

Edited by danpaul88
  • Upvote 1

I've read into as much as the comments for the posted blog that I could stomach. There's hardly enough information given at all for either side of the story. For someone who isn't a part of the drama, I don't have any sort of clear look as to why this happened or what happened that lead up to it. But after what I have seen, I can't say I'm impressed with the ways either party have actually handled this.

And if you're just here to clear up issues (which is appreciated, actually. I am interested in knowing exactly what went on, but I would need to hear BOTH sides), it would be much more appreciated if the manner of which you did so wasn't so accusatory and apparently hostile (leaning more towards that second-to-last paragraph).

You realise that nobody in BHP has written a single line of code for the launcher they are currently using? I wrote the entire codebase (including the PHP code for the server side) myself and when we launched W3D Hub I rebranded it for our new community. If anyone should be "writing the code for their own launcher" it should be BHP, although I have not and do not intend to imply that they are not welcome to continue using the launcher I provided for them.

The fact that you didn't even know this shows how little you actually understand of the situation. Maybe you should try reading both sides of the story before jumping on a bandwagon?

Anyhow, I'm not here to start a debate with anyone, I'm just clearing up one of many oft-overlooked facts in this matter.

Can confirm, danpaul88 did indeed make the launcher, this isn't contested. The contested part involves user accounts and users.

• Downvote 2

The amount of butthurt this subject has generated is quite amusing to say the least

Oh noes I was downvoted! My karma! :P

Edited by Souljack
  • Downvote 1

And this news post looks oddly in favour of BHP, indirectly calling out W3D Hub.

Yes you are correct, and in keeping things neutral on this side I've cleaned up the news post so it doesn't look so one side. My mistake. That's why we have this disclaimer in place http://forums.cncnz.com/forum-27/announcement-13-command-conquer-news-forum-disclaimers/ ;)

You first lock your bait thread and then come to quarrel here. How amusing.

Uh oh...ACK has come out of hiding, this is going to get serious. Didn't even know you were still around ACK, how's life? ^_^

• Upvote 1

This is very true, you decided to keep it closed-source when asked by other staff. And when you rebranded it, you forcibly pushed an update to all BHP Launcher users that caused all existing players to download and overwrite their BHP Launcher with the W3D Launcher -- prompting them with a message suggesting they cannot play again if they don't get this update. Among other things, this process involved automatically re-locating game data, configuration files, screenshots, etc. to a new W3D Hub-branded folder on their hard drive (without informing them of the move or new location).

Surely you realize how unethical that is?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hey look, it's W3DGate. Also known as RenegadeGate, W3DGhazi, RenegadeW3DGhazi, W3DRenegadeGateGhazi, or W3DGhaziGate

"It's about ethics in leaving toxic communities! MUH ETHICALS!"

Edited by Aircraftkiller
  • Upvote 1

It's not unethical to leave communities that you may consider toxic. What Chronojam is complaining is about how his community and his project was propositally sabotaged during this process. The way things happened was not ethical at all or it doesn't look like ethical at all..

• Upvote 1

This is very true, you decided to keep it closed-source when asked by other staff.

In case you've forgotten, I gave you access to the SVN which hosted the code years ago, although to my knowledge you never did anything with that access.

And when you rebranded it, you forcibly pushed an update to all BHP Launcher users that caused all existing players to download and overwrite their BHP Launcher with the W3D Launcher

Perhaps we were somewhat naive in this, but out expectation was that we would be able to work with BHP to continue to provide a unifed launcher for all W3D players rather than forcing people into running two different launchers to play different games. Clearly that isn't how things have since played out, but that was our original intent. We simply didn't anticipate the level of hostility we've seen from BHP.

Regardless, what's done is done and it's time to move on and develop our respective games. That's what we're doing at W3D Hub and I hope you can do the same.

Edited by danpaul88
  • Downvote 1