Sign in to follow this  
Killing You

Windows 8.1 hates TS and RA2

After installing The First Decade and the 1.03 patch, I have experienced some issues while trying to play Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2.

Tiberian Sun/Firestorm crashes when loading skirmish or campaign, Red Alert 2 crashes after a few minutes of gameplay, and Yuri's Revenge doesn't load at all. It's a shame because IMO these are the best games in the franchise.

Anything I can do?

Well, this is weird. I can't use the menus in Tiberian Sun, and in Red Alert 2, everything I have suicides itself after 30 seconds of gameplay.

For TS, tamper with the settings in the new config tool you got with the patch I linked you to, especially with ddwrapper/ddraw settings.

As for RA2, its copy protection activated for some reason. Did you run the TFD 1.03 patcher as admin? Do so if you haven't, and if that fails, reinstall the RA2 and YR components in TFD.

For TS, it might be better to just not use the Origin version at all. It's freeware, after all. Tore made a really good stand-alone installer over at http://cnc-comm.com.

I don't have the Origin version of anything. My copy of The First Decade is on a physical disk.

In any case, now I'm back to square one. After reinstalling TFD patch 1.03, Tiberian Sun has completely broken, and RA2 is still screwing up. I'm going to try reinstalling it altogether, and if that doesn't work I'll be back here.

Make sure you run all the mentioned games in compatibility mode for Win98 and set them to run as administrator.

Patch Tiberian Sun with this: http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/19103-tiberian-sun-patches-fix-for-the-windows-8-menu-problems-and-more/

We found out that my TS patch is not compatible with the unofficial 1.03 patch for any reason, so he needs to make sure that only one of the patches are installed :(

I tried to get it working with the 1.03 patch but it didn't work out sadly

That's strange, as the CnC-Comm release is based off the freeware EA release based off the TFD release :P

Other than using the CnC-Comm release, there is also the option of installing everything from TFD except TS, patching, and then installing TS with your patch.

After uninstalling and reinstalling, it still doesn't work. My Red Alert 2 keeps blowing everything up.

At this point, I guess I might as well forget it.

Did you try to install the updated TS installer link I provided? (for TS) Uninstall TFD TS and try it.

http://tore29.com/tsins/TSinstaller3-beta10r3.exe

I'm just looking a for bugs in it at the moment before I replace the one on C&C Comm. (it needs some mirrors for certain files too)

Just use tore's installer, that way you can keep the 1.03 patch and have a working TS at least. To prevent the base from blowing up you will need to have the correct registry key, if something is blocking the registry (security programs? You are not logged in as admin?) then you could still get a no-cd patch somewhere

then you could still get a no-cd patch somewhere

TFD 1.03 already GIVES a no-CD...

Right, I think there are no-cd patches that take care of the base blowing up too (Maybe Ares?)

There was also a tool to change the serial after the installation, it should be on the xwis site http://xwis.net/downloads/

Could be xwisc.exe, but cannot remember

Edited by FunkyFr3sh

If you're running Windows 8.1, force TS and RA2 into a window with the Win8 options. Got them to run flawlessly using that method.