Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

New W3D Mod Command & Conquer: Tiberium Announced

Just recently a new W3D Renegade engine based mod was announced. It has been called Command & Conquer: Tiberium. The project is headed by Aircraftkiller, who used to design many new maps for C&C Renegade back in the early days. Here's brief overview of this new mod.

Tiberium is going to be the translation of Command & Conquer 95 (Tiberian Dawn) into first person. It will focus on gameplay that's similar to what we all know and love, but with a unique twist on the C&C Mode experience. The standard fare from C&C95 makes their return in Tiberium, but we're also planning on potentially adding units that were cut from the original game. There's a possibility that you'll see a Nod Microwave Tank, a GDI XO Power Suit, a Nod Micro Tank, or a Berserker infantry unit appear in this project in addition to the units we're all familiar with.

The release is planned for a minimum of two initial levels - Noddingham and Metro, although this may change. Noddingham has not been released to the public yet. Metro is a familiar Renegade design that I released over 10 years ago and is being completely remade to feature an expansive city environment for close combat battling.

QLyNs0g.jpg

You can read the full announcement topic posted here in the W3D Hub Forums. There is another gameplay update topic focusing on the Infantry and Engine.

There already is a translation of Command & Conquer 95 (Tiberian Dawn) into first person, it's called Renegade. :P

Partially, though. So many vehicles in Renegade, especially Nod ones, look nothing like their TD counterparts.

Such as the Nod Arty... I know which I prefer.

Ehm, guys? Do you know that now it is 2015 and there are free game engines such as Unity3D, UDK (UnrealEngine 3) and UnrealEngine 4? Why are you still trying to rape the dead game and its engine?

Edited by KatzSmile
  • Downvote 1

It takes less time to mod the Renegade engine than to bother additionally editing any other engine to sport the C&C mode. Renegade-X took eons to complete.

It takes less time to mod the Renegade engine than to bother additionally editing any other engine to sport the C&C mode. Renegade-X took eons to complete.

Renegade-X was playable and modable back in 2010 less than four years from announcement. So your argument is invalid)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Ehm, guys? Do you know that now it is 2015 and there are free game engines such as Unity3D, UDK (UnrealEngine 3) and UnrealEngine 4? Why are you still trying to rape the dead game and its engine?

I'm only interested in working with it since there's support for normals, specularity, and gloss. It means I don't have to adjust my workflow to suit ancient texturing pipelines. I can create PBR-calibrated textures and last-gen textures and the only effort I'm wasting is the time I spend telling Quixel Suite to kick out UDK calibrated textures or UE4 calibrated textures. It's not "raping" a dead game's engine. Think of it more like bringing it up to spec with current generation games and having something interesting to work on while potential plans for UE4 are solidified.

Renegade-X was playable and modable back in 2010 less than four years from announcement. So your argument is invalid)

If they didn't have to code the C&C mode into it (which is so much different than UT's native (team) deathmatch/CTF modes), it'd have been playable even sooner. Is that hard to understand?
  • Upvote 1

FWIW, those are diffuse-only textures before I was made aware that Renegade will start supporting normals, specularity, and gloss. I've been remaking those textures using my copy of Quixel SUITE. I've got some things people might find interesting for the next update. ;-)

Yea... W3D is extremely antiquated, there's no conceivable reason you'd still be using it besides nostalgia. To implement C&C mode in a modern engine is pretty trivial for any gameplay programmer worth their salt. I mean, we actually did it twice for Renx, and the code was never the hold up, it was usually the art assets, and being able to get people together for tests. It would be even easier with UE4, as it's much more flexible.

That said, we're going to be releasing all of our source code and source assets with the next Renx release so if you wanted to mod it, it would just be a matter of replacing assets and changing values.

Yea, that's a valid point, but I'm not sure using another engine would make any difference if they really wanted to shut something down.

We've been trying to get into contact with them for over a year now, and it seems like nobody over there really knows what to do, they've basically been playing hot potato with us, (Just referring us back and forth between departments) so it doesn't seem like they're terribly organized atm. I highly doubt they'd come out and shut any non-commercial project down.

I get that, but it's still a risky business to create C&C mods/games for non-EA property. I'd hate to sink a lot of effort into a project only to see it get hit with a shutter notice. That said, I keep my workflow open. Anything I'm making for Renegade is usable in UE4 with minor modifications.

If they saw nothing wrong back when RenX was merely a mod for UT3 and HaloGen (which eventually got canned by Microsoft/Ensemble, not EA), I see no reason why they'd have something against making a non-commercial mod/indie that, in a way, advertises a franchise they own (by universe and name).

I get that, but it's still a risky business to create C&C mods/games for non-EA property. I'd hate to sink a lot of effort into a project only to see it get hit with a shutter notice. That said, I keep my workflow open. Anything I'm making for Renegade is usable in UE4 with minor modifications.

In the sense that it's polygons and texture maps, yea, but the level of detail and workflow is nowhere near what is usually done for a modern game engine.

Anyway, wish you best of luck for your project. If you ever decide you want to develop it as a mod for Renx, just hit me up on skype sometime. My contact info is on my website.

• Upvote 1

level of detail and workflow is nowhere near what is usually done for a modern game engine.

I disagree. There's no absolute need for game art to require beveled edges from high-poly baked normal maps. Quite a bit of detail can be faked via heightmaps in Photoshop. I have a workflow that works very well for that purpose. The amount of quality gained from putting in a lot of high-detail modeling has a LOT of diminishing returns in terms of time invested versus the amount of quality you get. I'm not against the technique at all, but here in my office (where we make models for VBS 2), we can't afford to budget the time to do a high-res bake for over 95% of our models. The amount of quality gained with some beveled edges from up close is not enough to justify the insane work times required to get that detail - much of which can be faked with Photoshop heightmaps that convert into tangent/object normals for painting with dDo.

Thanks for the consideration, though. If we go that route, I'll let you know!

Edited by Aircraftkiller

Do remember that "modern games" typically use cutscenes and trailers to create hype for their game and develop a single player campaign. This is not an "AAA" game with a full singleplayer campaign with in-game cutscenes and a ton of voice acting with a huge PR team. This is an independent mod. We do not need graphics that will typically be ignored anyway.

I'm not saying that graphics should be ignored, of course not. They help immerse the player into a game and that improves the gameplay. But adding "small details" like padlocks on doors and things like that is bad as it wastes time AND it distracts the player from the game itself.