Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Throwback Thursday for 9th April

tUV2Doa.jpg

Its a little bit different for Throwback Thursday this week. Jumping back to 3 different time periods, its a Triple Tanya Throwback. We have had Special Agent Tanya appear in 3 Red Alert games, plus expansions, but the character has been portrayed by 3 different actresses. Kari Wuhrer as Tanya in Red Alert 2 from 2000 has always appeared to be the most popular. When Red Alert 3 was announced, there was a push from the community and fans for EA to get Kari Wuher back again. But EA had already long since cast Jenny McCarthy to take over the part. I think it still worked just fine.

Check back again next Thursday for another Throwback. Send in your ideas for future instalments. We encourage you to share this on social media using the hash tags #CnCTBT and #CNCNZTBT.

Kari FTW

Started hating Jenny McCarthy when I found out she is an anti-vax activist. Though Kari shares the way she became "famous" with her, she did a far better job at portraying Tanya anyway.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Guest Rabbit

Personally, I'm a fan of the original Tanya.

I just dislike the way they portray the second two.

Lynne Litteer had it going for her. She was the American special agent sent to help out the europeans with the soviet mess. She's wearing appropriate military attire for the urban combat, while they still show off a little bit of her midriff. Whatever. She wears military gear, she does a job, and nothing more. You connect to her on a military level and little more.

Kari Wuhrer was chosen because they wanted an attractive woman. Heck, the three main female characters were aimed that way. Even Eva (arguably the least attractive) was shown in a dress being flashy at the end. But that's obviously not the whole picture. Yeah, you got more of her personality and you got to connect to her a bit more, but her acting was sub-par. The footage with her trying to be serious and militaristic looked weak, because to me, it just didn't fit her personality.

Jenny McCarthy was chosen for the same reasons as Kari Wuhrer. The success of Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge and people's interest in Tanya (considering the whole damn allied campaign practically focused on her) made EA decide they would try to emulate her. So they picked an arguably attractive blond woman. But they took her character too far. They pushed the sexuality heavily compared to Red Alert 2. I mean, jesus, look at what she is wearing. All three Tanyas are showing skin. But 3rd tanya's character has to push it ridiculously far. Rolling up the shirt to show more skin, wearing pants with DRAW STRINGS? And I mean, I know this has little to do with the overly-pushed sexuality, but what the hell is up with that poorly placed Allied logo patch on her chest? It's like they sewed that on at the last second because some idiot thought it looked good. It's hard to take her seriously, which I didn't. Her acting is at times better, and at times worse than Kari Wuhrer's.

And sure enough, like Red Alert 2, they had to end it with the same bull**** "I'm wearing a dress!" scene.

Personally, I always preferred Red Alert 2's Tanya. She had the best characterization out of the three, and felt integral to the story rather than there as a named tool in the commander's arsenal (RA1) or sex appeal (RA3). Looks-wise, RA1 had the best outfit.

"anti-vax activist" - had to look that up.

Kari is the most memorable... on reflection the first version is probably the best.

"anti-vax activist" - had to look that up.

Yeah me to. Had no clue what it was.

Tanya in the original RA did basically nothing, it was nice that she gave a face to the previously random Commando, but it wasn't a "real" character compared to all the others.

RA2's Tanya was the best in characterization, but I have to disagree with you guys when it comes to her clothes, at least her top is the most senseless thing to her. It offers no protection whatsoever and is crap in any combat situation anyway. RA3's Tanya's sportsbra makes a lot more sense in that regard, it at least would enable her to run long distances without it feeling like being poked with a thousand needles. So if you go for the sexy-no-protection look at least let it make sense otherwise.

Ignoring that RA3's Tanya is nearly as bland as the original.

From looks alone Kari would be my fav though.

The first c&c games basicly used west wood studio personel or some hobo they pulled of the street for their acting cast, budget reason. And for a great part they made it work really well with what they had to work with. But the performances were never a- list. Lynne litteer comes across really stiff and emotionless and not just because its in the script. Never the less i grew up with the early c&c games as a young boy and had a little crush on her, So for nostalgia reasons she would be a favorite.

Now the second installment of RA....basicly EVA(Athena Massy) and Tanya (Kari Whurer) and even the soviet one forgot her name but is played by Alexandra Kaniak.....they made their early careers by being in soft erotic fliks...sexplotations as some would call it. Their acting strengths consisted of bouncing their boobs and trying to maon convincing enough. The reason why Kari Whurer was so aimable as Tanya was/is because she couldnt sit still for a moment, she was verry hyper in he younger years and she projected that silly, playfullness onto the character. Athena Massy wasnt that bad concidering her actuall skill reportoire...but not used to keeping her cloths on to sell a character.

Tbh for me the RA2 era my real favorite would be Alexandra Kaniak...and she still has a career these days..think i saw her in the Forever tv series lately.

I really don't have that much good to say about RA3. All the female leads where ****e. Again as a little boy i used to crush on Kelly Hu and liked her in most of her other roles(i grew up with old kung fu fliks and show like Martial Law with sammo hung etc) and i felt so bad to see her in that role in RA3 and once again in the latest BF hardline(i wished she declined that role for her own good). The brittish dumb blond who is as forgettable as her name is, sucked at Eva. Jenny McCarthy....comon....she littlerly was like the female Jim Carry...hated that they casted her for Tanya. RA3 had a average lvl of holywood talent and it got thrown away on retarded dialogue...i felt sorry for some of the other actors in it....

Also on women wearing realistic combat gear.....ever seen a woman carry or wear combat gear....its unatractive as hell and they move like turkeys in it....that's why they chose the weird cut top combat vest i guess. Sex still sells and in the 90s there were less youtube/social media justice warriors who screamed femalethrope or sexism at every badly writen female character.

Edited by Ravendark