Sonic

Who is upgrading to Windows 10?

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes
    • No
    • I plan to wait a while

New article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/windows/11787329/Windows-10-is-free-but-it-makes-you-pay-to-use-its-DVD-player.html

Seriously? VLC Media Player can beat that for free. But for me as long as I own a LG Blu-ray writer, I get to use PowerDVD for free that can play Blu-rays, DVDs, audio files and even images.

Also this: http://www.komando.com/tips/319030/5-questions-about-windows-10-everyone-is-asking/all

But the huge difference is: you only need to pay if you want a certain function, most, if not all, of which you can get for free. If you're lazy you pay for it, if you're not you're searching for it on the net. I don't see the problem here.

It is not like you're missing out like with f2p content. There is no incentive to buy as long as you're not lazy, though a lot of people are.

To be fair, it's very stupid to have one function for free in one moment and then separated and sold for money in another. Cheap, lazy and desperate capitalism if I ever saw one.

That article is complete bogus, I appreciate getting a free upgrade. I didn't pay a dime and I don't plan on doing so.

Does anyone not getting the full Direct X 12 features after installing Windows 10? It appears Direct X 12 can have full compatibility if you are using the Nvidia Maxwell video card (or AMD GCN 1.1) in that generation and above. Even this article still puzzles me: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/207598-demystifying-directx-12-support-what-amd-intel-and-nvidia-do-and-dont-deliver

For example, one of my rigs with a GeForce GTX 550 Ti is reading a Direct X 11.2 shown in the dxdiag screen. Another one of my lower-end rigs with a GeForce GT 220 is reading a Direct X 11.1 shown in the dxdiag screen. Both of which have Win10 installed in each one of my hard drive partitions.

Does anyone not getting the full Direct X 12 features after installing Windows 10? It appears Direct X 12 can have full compatibility if you are using the Nvidia Maxwell video card (or AMD GCN 1.1) in that generation and above. Even this article still puzzles me: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/207598-demystifying-directx-12-support-what-amd-intel-and-nvidia-do-and-dont-deliver

For example, one of my rigs with a GeForce GTX 550 Ti is reading a Direct X 11.2 shown in the dxdiag screen. Another one of my lower-end rigs with a GeForce GT 220 is reading a Direct X 11.1 shown in the dxdiag screen. Both of which have Win10 installed in each one of my hard drive partitions.

Does your card support new DX? I don't think so...
Edited by Traymen

When I first had Win10 Tech Preview, the Direct X version showing in the dxdiag with my fastest rig was reading a 12.

So much for video card restrictions. :( Even those people who said older video cards may have some minor advantage under usage of Direct X 12 by default are lying.

New article: http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-heads-towards-100-million-installs-more-updates-on-the-way/

Out of 100 million installs, most of them are on tablets and smartphones. :mellow:

As for my early comment review of Win10, as of now it is a mixed-up disaster between installing and running issues.... terrible for slow PCs with a single core CPU and slow RAM, even a dual core PC with a Pentium CPU. It wasn't a problem for my fastest rig, but it was a problem for my other slow rig. The system requirements for Windows 10 as the same as Windows 7 is completely bogus. The number of program processes in Windows 10 at the startup is more than doubled than that of Windows 7.

Edited by zocom7

A reiteration of my last post: http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/19419-who-is-upgrading-to-windows-10/page-2#entry224307

According to Nvidia, both Maxwell and Kepler GPU architectures currently support DX12, with support for Fermi coming later this year (but what month?). Looks like the GeForce 200 series and below won't support DX12.

FYI:

Maxwell is for the GeForce 900 series and specifically GeForce GTX 750.

Kepler is for the GeForce 600 and 700 series.

Fermi is for the GeForce 400 and 500 series.

This means my gaming experience for Windows 10 will have to wait until my GeForce 550 Ti driver is DirectX 12 ready.

Edited by zocom7

Meh, calling that a cumulative update to the OS feels like a small service pack update and I am not seeing much of new significant changes and new material. With that update, some people are going to be doomed with the old software that won't work with that update (such as removal of SafeDisc and Securom).

SecuROM isn't removed.

Quit speaking of doom, especially on things you don't bother to understand. There are two simple ways of bypassing that issue:

1) getting the games' different versions on Steam, GoG or Origin (capitalism galore)

2) getting a crack.

Done.

Or, in a far more efficient method, completely remove the KB3086255 update and then block it from reinstalling.

Except the fact that those are referring to older versions of Windows from Vista to 8, not Windows 10. I doubt if that method works on Win10 (as long as you don't upgrade to the latest version or apply any patch that contain KB3086255).

The command prompt commands work in Windows 10, but only if you're in developer mode.

Nothing at all important, except for the 44% bug which MS will probably fix soon. More clickbait.

Installed the Windows 10 "Threshold 2" update earlier today. No problems at all. And what a difference having coloured titles back makes.

Sq1KIVx.png

Mine's stuck. It displays an error in the Windows Update list, while there's another update that's "waiting" to be downloaded, but just doesn't budge. Found a method that involves adding a module for PowerShell and manually forcing the installation, but it complains on the module not being digitally signed, which the procedure is supposed to override :/

So Microsoft brought back colored tiles (it should have been there when Win10 was first released), but they still lack some transparency (except with a 3rd-party theme tweak). But still MS has a long way to go to improve Windows designs.

Edited by zocom7