Who is upgrading to Windows 10?

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes
    • No
    • I plan to wait a while

Guest Stevie_K

Thinking about upgrading next week. Keeping my files is what makes it an easy decision for me.

Anything major I should be aware of that you've stumbled into (cons primarily)?

Used the Media Creation Tool to download the official files needed, managed to update successfully. Not sure yet, but I think it got rid of a little bloat compared to the RTM release. The coloured windows are a neat addition, too.

So when it comes to a new update released to Windows 10, there's no way anyone can download the patch only (like a service pack) except by downloading the whole ISO file if people cannot use Windows Update successfully?

Usually, you can. But my installation was stuck in some error I couldn't fix otherwise.

Two major things prevent me from moving to Windows 10. First and foremost is the System bug where it will consume massive amounts of resources. I'm not fighting that. The other is that I don't want to burn all of my write cycles installing another damned OS. I'm fine with my Windows 8.1.

Two major things prevent me from moving to Windows 10. First and foremost is the System bug where it will consume massive amounts of resources.

Can honestly say I have not encountered any bugs, major or minor. Performance is great. It boots so damn fast. Even if you don't have a Solid State Hard Drive it still boots up quick.

I have Windows 8.1 and an SSD and my machine boots plenty fast. I just don't want to run the chance of running into that System memory leak. I've fought OS memory leaks before... not fun.

A memory leak is not a feature. If I'm idle, the OS should not consume all resources because "it's finally using it." I have 16 gigs of RAM so I can do many things simultaneously, not so the OS can have all of it and so when the time comes that I need it, I have it available. If the OS allocates too many resources for itself, everything else suffers. If System is eating half my CPU power and 46% RAM, that's not efficient anything. That's a problem. And you can find hundreds, if not thousands, of forum posts, articles and discussions on this problem. As such, I'd rather not fight that until Microsoft releases a patch to properly free memory when it is done using it. Until then, it's a memory leak and I'm not going to fight it. I often have tremendously bad luck when it comes to OS bugs.

An OS upgrade does matter. It's going to consume a ton of cycles on the drive However, I rarely reboot my machine so the reboot and use is more of a non-issue. I do quite a bit of work to the OS to minimize writes to the OS drive, and I have a lot dumping to one of my other drives to keep the OS drive space high and writes low. Admittedly, this is less of a concern since the drive I use has a ton of write cycles, but either way, I'd like to minimize what I can where possible to prevent the drive from going to **** any faster.

Perhaps you have more underlying issues to cause these memory leaks? Because I don't have this problem. And my PC is far from modern.

Can honestly say I have not encountered any bugs, major or minor. Performance is great. It boots so damn fast.

It appears I'm the only one here who gets issues on and off. In the past few days, I've had a problem where programs would refuse to start for reasons unknown (even the likes of Notepad, ffs), with even the Restart button choosing to disobey. Now I even have a problem when running clips with WMP12, which will stay non-responsive in the background before returning an error window with a "Server execution failed" message.

You don't get the whole point, do you? As I said Win 10 memory management is pretty good. Again, Win 10 frees space when needed by other applications. There is no recognizable difference in having useless free RAM or the OS freeing the space needed. It is not blocking anything else. Got it? Memory might be used to optimize the system ... prefetch stuff, defrag HDD in idle state etc.

You seem to have bad software/drivers on your system that cause memory leaks. The system itself runs pretty fine (you can find million of posts about that).

You are just paranoid. I highly doubt Win 10 itself uses 8 gig of RAM. Screen or it didn't happen.

And about the write cycles ... still lol. NAND cells can stand 10000 write cycles. An OS reinstall would be ONE write cycle to ONLY a portion of the cells. So what the hell is your problem? Today's OS and SSDs manage to spread the writes, so that every cell gets the same amount of writes as far as it is possible.

btw: In general Win 10 uses less resources than Win 8.1. Also confirmed by million people. And if you are still using 8.1 then how can you tell about memory leaks with Win 10 on your machine? And for what do you need 16 gig of RAM???

https://www.google.com/#q=windows+10+system+memory+leak

mmhmm. No issues there. None whatsoever. Did you even listen to anything I said? Not likely. Even if the memory management is that good, which I question, the fact that so many people have encountered this doesn't lend credence to your assertion. In short, something is wrong in the OS that leads to the above memory leak. Is it a guarantee that I'd see it? Of course not, but I can have some seriously bad luck to where I'd end up fighting an issue with the OS, rather than anything I did. And I have fought memory leaks before with the OS not releasing the memory properly. Fortunately, I figured it out what it was and it was an application that I have since stopped using.

Just because I have Windows 8.1 on my main machine doesn't mean I don't use Windows 10 elsewhere and that I haven't used it before. I have used it quite frequently. I have it installed on a virtual machine so I can test it and learn more about it since I support it at work. Speaking of work, we use Windows 10 there on some of the boxes for software and hardware testing.

And why do I have 16 gigs of RAM? I frequently have multiple things running that warrant it, and I'm a PC gamer. I have new games that actually require heavy resource use, and I don't want to be scraping by with low frame rates and atrocious textures. I built this machine specifically to have a really high fidelity experience. Extra RAM, CPU and GPU work in my favor for that.

It appears I'm the only one here who gets issues on and off. In the past few days, I've had a problem where programs would refuse to start for reasons unknown (even the likes of Notepad, ffs), with even the Restart button choosing to disobey. Now I even have a problem when running clips with WMP12, which will stay non-responsive in the background before returning an error window with a "Server execution failed" message.

It's not just you. I fought a non-paged pool memory leak a while back and it was getting really annoying. I get that server execution failed message myself but not frequently enough to warrant trying to fix it. You might try this: http://www.troubleshootwindows.com/windows-7/fix-media-player-server-execution-failed-in-windows-8-7-vista-xp/.

Is it me, or has the entire PC-related world gone to total ****ing ****?

Searching for any sort of problem is stupidly hard on Google and even Microsoft's own streamlined Bing. Most articles are from the time Windows 10 was just a newly released OS (late July-early August) and are not at all specialized for individual problems, more like small FAQs for computer novices. (And if it's not that, they shove sponsored rogueware at you, what gives?!). I know it's a rather new OS, but ffs, it's been several months since its release and I'll bet whatever you wish that I'm not the only one who's had a bumpy ride on it. Hell, I'm even able to find old threads with solutions for Windows freakin' NINETY-EIGHT, but not 10. No-siree. It's totally not the age of information. Windows 10 totally doesn't have a relevant percentage in the OS usage charts with an insane increase. Nope.

And answers.microsoft.com? Many users aren't very bright, and those that are, get a very limited and "formal" answer from some of Microsoft's numerous tool interns from who knows where. What am I supposed to do, act like a local C#-worshipping math school graduate and blindly nod to whatever Microsoft says and just buy new stuff to no end until something works out for me?

And speaking of Microsoft's interns, who the hell tested Windows 10 anyway? From a company that brought stable OSes like Windows 2000 and also had quite hectic releases such as Vista, one would expect actual quality control, at least on something that isn't the most powerful trillion-core 500-petabyte monster on the market.

I tried to like Microsoft and their stuff, but they didn't let me. So be it, then... so be it. Stuck on 10 I may be now, due to the insane amount of files I have, but next time... a little "penguin" may be knocking on the door.

It must be this modern Apple's "looks pretty, but can't work for the life of it unless you pay lots of money" mentality that influenced everything and everyone in the computer world. During a recent programming lecture, I discovered this amazing quote that fits my rage towards that, and from none other than Linus Torvalds...

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it.

Sapienti sat.

I'm not upgrading at this point. Windows 7 runs fine for me, and upgrading to 10 is probably just going to get me issues running programs and games.

I'm not upgrading at this point. Windows 7 runs fine for me, and upgrading to 10 is probably just going to get me issues running programs and games.

I highly agree.

While testing Windows 10 on a tablet and on two spare hard drives in my two PCs, I only use it for reading, sometimes listening to music and for playing Sudoku.

Also **** Microsoft for this: http://consumerist.com/2016/02/24/windows-10-users-start-seeing-full-screen-ads-on-their-screen-savers

Free OSs don't need ****y ads, not even the latest free versions of Apple Mac OS X and Linux. I accept ads on some web/Internet apps that are free to use/play, but not the overall OS! :mad:

Edited by zocom7
  • Downvote 1

While testing Windows 10 on a tablet and on two spare hard drives in my two PCs, I only use it for reading, sometimes listening to music and for playing Sudoku.

You can do that on Windows 95.

The article itself says they're easily turned off. But you didn't read the article, of course. You wouldn't be zocom.

Free OSs don't need ****y ads, not even the latest free versions of Apple Mac OS X and Linux.

A temporarily free upgrade TOTALLY makes the entire OS free, right? :rolleyes:

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Not likely. Windows 10 is built off the 7 kernel so most things that run on 7 or 8, run on it. Hell, I've gotten Windows 8 drivers to work for devices on Windows 10. Would be highly unlikely you'd see anything actually negative.

Win10 runs fine and faster than any other windows. Memory leak sounds rather like a faulty or wrong driver or other software.

"And I have fought memory leaks before with the OS not releasing the memory properly. Fortunately, I figured it out what it was and it was an application that I have since stopped using." Says it all, it's the software which is at fault. Sure the OS cannot release memory properly if the software doesn't mark it to be released.

Also the results google gives you in the links you posted were months old, even at the time you posted them, most of them of tech previews. And if you even checked a few of them you would have seen most of it was caused by outdated killer network drivers.

Edited by Lauren

The list of worthless additions is too long.

Talking about a one-year anniversary release of Windows 10, there's nothing significantly new for the greater good, just fixes and enhancements.

However I do agree with Plokite. Mostly worthless changes/additions, mostly with Cortana.... and besides I would like an offline AI in Windows 10 as an option, just like Braina. The design changes, not so much, but still pathetic. Also, didn't Microsoft say they want to get rid of the Control Panel and have all of those remaining CP items/options integrated into the PC Settings?

The one app Microsoft has yet to replace (but already implemented) is pretty much what Cyberlink PowerDVD already has, an all-in-one media player that can open videos, audio and images. Windows 10 already has a burning disc feature (since XP), but doesn't have new/advanced options like what Nero and Cyberlink Power2Go have, not even a drivespeed tool.

Edited by zocom7

Also, didn't Microsoft say they want to get rid of the Control Panel and have all of those remaining CP items/options integrated into the PC Settings?

The result would be... a Control Panel. With an incredibly ****ty interface. I think this current way with split Settings and CP is better than that idea. *shivers*

The one app Microsoft has yet to implement is pretty much what Cyberlink PowerDVD already has, an all-in-one media player that can open videos, audio and images.

You mean Windows Media Player?

You mean Windows Media Player?

No, it was Windows Media Center. Microsoft implemented it in 2002 and dropped it in 2015. It's too bad Microsoft couldn't get a replacement app to that in Windows 10.

Edited by zocom7

It's too bad Microsoft couldn't get a replacement app to that in Windows 10.

They didn't try to replace it. They dropped it because not enough people used it.

I like the addition of switching between a light and dark theme.

BFXvReS.png

Windows 10 uses way to much white for everything.

• Upvote 1

No, it was Windows Media Center. Microsoft implemented it in 2002 and dropped it in 2015. It's too bad Microsoft couldn't get a replacement app to that in Windows 10.

In case you didn't know, WMP plays audio, video and pictures, with a library system as well.