Sonic

Who is upgrading to Windows 10?

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes
    • No
    • I plan to wait a while

Personally i can't say anything bad about Win10. I am with MicroSoft since Win95 (i suppose) and some changes improved functionality and some... well, there were some missed shots. I find it simply better than Win8, 8.1 and maybe Win7. There are some flaws, but i get used to unfinished oaths about Cortana (i still don't have it in my native language) etc. Yeah, some older games don't run properly on Windows 10 - but on which OS does? Even OS X have same compatibility issues with games written particularly for PowerPC. If you play older games simply stay with older OS or buy older rig for such things. Simple as that. There is no way to keep backwards compatibility for like 20 years or so. Especially, when progress in technology is so dynamic nowadays.

On January / February i've bought Macbook. Yeah, the most slim version possible with only one USB-C output. Comparing Windows 10 with OS X i may say, that Windows is more coherent on multiple platforms. Apple missed their time and their have different OS for iPhone, iPad and iPod (yeah i have it too). For casual user Windows might be a bit tricky, but he'll feel more confident using same OS on his Lumia and PC. Mac user has to learn to use his Macbook, iPhone and iPod. It's not hard though, but you waste some time pressing buttons here 'n' there to check out what happens.

i get used to unfinished oaths about Cortana (i still don't have it in my native language) etc.

We don't have Cortana available in New Zealand either. But I can honestly say, if it was available, I doubt I would be using it all. I don't have a microphone plugged into the computer.

We don't have Cortana available in New Zealand either. But I can honestly say, if it was available, I doubt I would be using it all. I don't have a microphone plugged into the computer.

Still, if i've paid full price for OS i'd like to have all functions enabled.

On January / February i've bought Macbook. Yeah, the most slim version possible with only one USB-C output. Comparing Windows 10 with OS X i may say, that Windows is more coherent on multiple platforms. Apple missed their time and their have different OS for iPhone, iPad and iPod (yeah i have it too). For casual user Windows might be a bit tricky, but he'll feel more confident using same OS on his Lumia and PC. Mac user has to learn to use his Macbook, iPhone and iPod. It's not hard though, but you waste some time pressing buttons here 'n' there to check out what happens.

Just my gut feeling, but I think Apple was on top o' the world somewhere around 2009-12 when Macbooks were all the rage, but then fell behind when the competition stepped up and delivered similar (and sometimes better and/or cheaper) stuff, and haven't full recovered since. Apple is still a powerful brand with many loyal customers, obviously, but the wow factor seems to have died down a bit.

Edited by TaxOwlbear

Apple features in MacBooks and Mac Computers are still very much limited and restricted to what they have, even as of today.

Back on topic, IDK if I mention this before, but here's one of my favorite features in Windows 10, something that every Internet forum has.....

Smilies! :P

post-7612-0-93662400-1465229694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sonic

Still, if i've paid full price for OS i'd like to have all functions enabled.

Oh did you not qualify for the free upgrade?

Back on topic, IDK if I mention this before, but here's one of my favorite features in Windows 10, something that every Internet forum has.....

Smilies! :P

Why does Windows need them?

They are actually called "Emoticons" or "Emoji" these days.

They are the same as the ones in Windows Phone, so they must be used in some options used to send messages to mobile phones. Oh wait.

I'm waiting for Traymen's response now. I paid $200 NZD for a download of the Windows 10 ISO... I didn't buy Windows with my PC. I got the regular Windows 10 because the business versions are pointless to me. I looked at the other version and I don't see why any home user would buy it. By getting a "retail" license as opposed to OEM, I hope I can shift Windows 10 onto my next computer if needed, and just run Linux on the old system (once it becomes old).

Let me rephrase that. Yes, i got free upgrade, but i feel a bit cheated if some offered functions in other regions aren't available after a year (or so). That's my main issue with Win10.

I'm waiting for Traymen's response now. I paid $200 NZD for a download of the Windows 10 ISO... I didn't buy Windows with my PC. I got the regular Windows 10 because the business versions are pointless to me. I looked at the other version and I don't see why any home user would buy it. By getting a "retail" license as opposed to OEM, I hope I can shift Windows 10 onto my next computer if needed, and just run Linux on the old system (once it becomes old).

You can move licence between PC's. I had to make a call to MS when i moved Win8 from laptop to PC. All you need to do, is to uninstall it from one computer and make a call.

If you don't use the windows store just set your region to US and reboot. Cortana will be enabled.

Doesn't make much difference though compared to the usual search, yeah you can use speech recognition, but it will also store all your searches and other stuff done through cortana on MS servers with links to your MS account.

Guest Stevie_K

My Windows 10 suddenly out of nowhere decided to forget its key and demands that re-enter it to activate my Windows copy.

Only problem is that I don't have it anymore. I bought Win7 years ago with the PC and have upgraded for free since then.

So I am forced to purchase a new key or be stuck with the horrible "Activate Windows" overlay on the screen. :thumbsup:

Guest Stevie_K

I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

From the article...

Some of the skeptics’ biggest reservations about Windows 10, such as the demand for a Microsoft account (...) clearly are here to stay.

Tell that to my laptop. I have a local account with no MS account dependencies. Actually reading the menus when setting up would help, but I believe I ask too much from the pretentious tech-blogger wannabes.

They said the same thing about Windows 8 requiring a Microsoft account. I do not have a Microsoft account and only use local accounts. I installed Windows 10 Pro in a test environment. Local account only. Unless you're an idiot, making a local account is easy on 8 and 10. It's also possible to block all "spying" if you're willing to do a bit of work. But, god forbid anyone use telemetry, which can actively improve a product. Post-common sense society... I swear.

This should have been implemented already since the first release of Windows 10:

Because this was leaked, no one knows if Microsoft will upgrade this Paint app in the next Win10 update.

At least that was somewhat more fun and simpler than Adobe Photoshop, 3DS Max, AutoCad and Solidworks combined. Only two parts missing, where're the options of true rendering and changing texture of a 3D object(s)?

Edited by zocom7

I just upgraded my desktop PC to Fedora 23 with "Cinnamon" desktop. It's like Gnome 2 (classic Gnome) instead of Gnome 3 which I don't care about any more.

The forked version of Gnome 2 works great. Highly recommended! I was drinking Russian Standard last night as I installed Fedora and updated it, got the packages I need. I managed to compile my program from the terminal, while under the influence :talker:

Forgot to mention: Windows 10 version 1607 or something won't install on my PC, but it worked on my mum's PC. Weird inconsistencies. Give Windows 10 another 2 years and it'll be optimised enough for normal use. Right now I'd only install it again if I had fibre and some games.

Edited by jeffnz

Weird inconsistencies. Give Windows 10 another 2 years and it'll be optimised enough for normal use.

It is optimized - i don't know what are you talking about.

I'm now on Windows 10. I'd already used it before but I got a new SSD so that was a good excuse to get a new OS. Not bad so far. With Group Policies and ShutUp10, I don't have any real qualms.

Days away from the Windows 10 Creators Edition, Microsoft decided to ban support of emulators from the Windows Store (for Win10).
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3188053/windows/microsoft-bans-console-emulators-from-the-windows-store.html

I didn't know of an universal emulator, but no universal emulator is perfect and compatible to play all old and small consoles. For guys who wanted an universal emulator on any version of Windows, try this RetroArch app: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-set-up-an-all-in-one-retro-game-emulator-with-re-1745863517

Still... most emulators (including DOSBox) run well in Windows XP than recent versions of Windows because graphics and performance are smoother. In Windows Vista and above versions, heavy tweaking is required to make graphics and performance smoother.

Therefore...

Emulators installed in Windows 10 and above = not recommended. If Microsoft finds a way and bans installing emulator apps one day just to persuade customers to use Windows-only apps, you know that's a restriction no one likes.
Emulators installed in Windows XP or 7 = highly recommended since Microsoft don't care on older OSs.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

5 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

Microsoft decided to ban support of emulators from the Windows Store (for Win10).

Good thing nobody sane uses UWP.

5 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

Emulators installed in Windows 10 and above = not recommended. If Microsoft finds a way and bans installing emulator apps one day just to persuade customers to use Windows-only apps, you know that's a restriction no one likes.
Emulators installed in Windows XP or 7 = highly recommended since Microsoft don't care on older OSs.

Behold the magnificent conclusions of the tech guru Zocom

:no:

uh, UWP stands for Universal Windows Platform, which just means that Windows 10 unifies computers, tablets, phones and gaming consoles on the same base OS. The Microsoft Store is its own thing and has its own apps. zocom's suggestion is patently ridiculous. The chances of Microsoft making its own application platform useless would be suicidal and stupid.

• Upvote 1