chimekolover

Can't run The First Decade properly on Windows 10

Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, and Red Alert 2 have been patched already and work perfectly. and I have run the compatibility settings for Generals and Zero hour but nothing works. I'll try the .ini files in each but idk if that will work. my desktop should support the resolution. It can even put out in 4k. I'll try the Tiberian Sun patch see if that works.

I managed to get Generals and Zero Hour to run but Tiberian Sun still wont play cutscenes same with Firestorm. I had been using that patch for them already.

Back again. After a bad bit of advice from a Microsoft technician on fixing an issue with my desktop I had to reinstall every single game I had. I followed all directions on here to patch The First Decade and got most of the games running fine. The games still giving me trouble are Firestorm, Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge. Firestorm loads and goes to the menu and I am able to start a campaign but it just goes straight to the load screen and says "unable to read scenario!". for RA2 I applied multiple patches and got rid of the black screen issue but as it gets to the main menu it freezes. no options load, cant move the mouse but the music still plays. for YR when i try to start the game I get an error saying the application cant start correctly with the code 0xc0000142. for Firestorm's issue I looked everywhere but no one seems to know how to fix it.

Try installing the CnCNet installer for YR online play. It has a bunch of automatic compatibility fixes.

Ok, after a full uninstall and reinstall of The First Decade I tried something different and didnt apply TFD Unofficial patch. doing so I applied quick fixes to Red Alert to play the Soviet movies using a RA Launcher, got Tiberian Sun and Firestorm to work using an installer and patcher, got Renegade to work by installing a patch, and installed a patch to Red Alert 2 to fix a black screen issue. The unofficial patch may have done more harm than good in my case. The ONLY game that wont work is Yuri's Revenge now. I click on it to load and it looks like it will start but after a few seconds it just goes back to the desktop with no error message. I tried compatibility settings but nothing seems to work. any ideas?

4 hours ago, chimekolover said:

Ok, after a full uninstall and reinstall of The First Decade I tried something different and didnt apply TFD Unofficial patch. doing so I applied quick fixes to Red Alert to play the Soviet movies using a RA Launcher, got Tiberian Sun and Firestorm to work using an installer and patcher, got Renegade to work by installing a patch, and installed a patch to Red Alert 2 to fix a black screen issue. The unofficial patch may have done more harm than good in my case. The ONLY game that wont work is Yuri's Revenge now. I click on it to load and it looks like it will start but after a few seconds it just goes back to the desktop with no error message. I tried compatibility settings but nothing seems to work. any ideas?

See the "Handling Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge on Windows 8/8.1/10" section in this guide: http://www.cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-red-alert-2-yuris-revenge/

I actually got it. I applied the patch and some compatibility settings to all YR executibles and it works just fine now. seems the problems are from that patch for the full collection on Windows 10.

Can someone help me?

I installed TFD and the game (C&C95) was already at version 1.04 rev a. The mouse pointer was working normally and I could select anything from main menu.

Then I realized from here there is a 1.06c rev 3 and then I installed it. Now the mouse pointer only appears stuck on four corners of the screen. I cant select anything anymore. In cctools there is an option there about mouse but didnt fix it.

Any idea?

What do you mean with "the mouse pointer only appears stuck on four corners of the screen"? You only see the mouse pointer at the corners of the screen?

It looks like that ddraw ini, some mouse sensitivity parameters there.

I fixed it but now on mission 1 I get duplicate screen (I play in full screen). 

here is the pic: 

how to solve this?

M5Dw9Y5.jpg

Edited by pbsk8

That happens because the resolution you have chosen is larger than the map itself. Just open and close the options menu and the duplicate will go away leaving a black screen.

• Upvote 1

So I've downloaded the tfd-103-rev4.exe and ran it, I did not install the cnc thing at the end. My biggest concern was command and conquer generals/Zero Hour as they were my favorite however it was telling me to insert the disc but now after the patch it simply wont load. I get the screen like it's trying to load the game however that eventually goes away and the launcher reopens.

17 minutes ago, Sir_BlargsAlot said:

I did not install the cnc thing at the end.

Whatever the hell do you mean by this?

17 minutes ago, Sir_BlargsAlot said:

it was telling me to insert the disc but now after the patch it simply wont load

Apparently, you ran neither The First Decade setup, nor the 1.03 rev4 patch, nor the game itself as administrator.

the image is what I mean by cnc thing. Sorry for the lack of knowledge on the subject but this is my first time dealing with patches or any outside fixes for games since I primarily play on Xbox. Also when you say run as admin I am assuming I am wrong in the belief that being the admin user automatically does this?

Capture.PNG

23 hours ago, Sir_BlargsAlot said:

cnc thing

This is still the most vague definition of anything that I've seen on the Internet. C&C stands for Command & Conquer, as in the entire series, so you couldn't be more vague if you fucking tried.

23 hours ago, Sir_BlargsAlot said:

Also when you say run as admin I am assuming I am wrong in the belief that being the admin user automatically does this?

Yes.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-run-programs-administrator-windows-7

yes well clearly you either decided not to read my second post where I showed a picture of what I am talking about or you just wanted to be a troll, regardless I figured out how to run as an admin on my own and uninstalled everything to start over and now instead of generals just not starting it gives me the serious error message that talks about there may be a virous or overheated hardware.

12 minutes ago, Sir_BlargsAlot said:

generals just not starting it gives me the serious error message that talks about there may be a virous or overheated hardware.

Then you need to create Options.ini yourself and/or install DirectX 9.0c.

I seem to have a similar issue after messing with all compatibility options and two hours i still am getting the same issue.

The black screen.

this problem was not fixed by any of the solutions above including the downloads provided i changed the compatibility settings and have uninstalled and reinstalled 42 times

the reason for editing is to acknowledge that the downloads provided got it to this stage where the only problem left is the black screen.

before yuris revenge would not load and red alert 2 was at black screen status. no they are both at black screen status and i cannot find gamemd or ra2 files unless they are loaded up and i access them via task manager. i can click and affect the game however the game does not load any video

Edited by kaifox
unfinished info

my second problem is every time the game and launcher closes the compatibility settings revert to the original status, I am using the first decade i have moved the files into a folder and now do not use the disk

On 21/07/2018 at 11:01 AM, Plokite_Wolf said:

This is still the most vague definition of anything that I've seen on the Internet. C&C stands for Command & Conquer, as in the entire series, so you couldn't be more vague if you fucking tried.

Yes.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-run-programs-administrator-windows-7

he is talking about the download from the installer you suggested cncNet since it asks if you'd like to install this with no option to then installs it anyways onto your desktop

the option of next that is. there is a checkbox whether you'd like to install it but i assume that to use any multiplayer functions you need this

Edited by kaifox

On 3/08/2015 at 3:24 AM, Plokite_Wolf said:

First patch TFD with the 1.03 rev4 patch: http://www.cncnz.com/hosted-projects/command-patch/the-first-decade-unofficial-patch/

Then patch Tiberian Dawn with the 1.06c r3 patch: http://www.cncnz.com/hosted-projects/command-patch/command-conquer-gold-unofficial-patch/

Then patch Tiberian Sun with this fix: http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=3438.0

Try running Renegade in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 or, if necessary, Windows 98 (the Windows 8 one isn't a good idea and you won't change anything).

Generals/Zero Hour (or any other game) should no longer ask for the DVD because of the 1.03 TFD patch.

Is there any updated patches that will allow the menu window to pull up while in the game levels and also won't crash the game if you hit the esc button? Cause that's what's been happening to me after downloading the first link.

Edited by EnderMcCloud