PurpleGaga27

Windows 10 free download link (and it's legitimate probably for a year)

Well Win10 is free to upgrade for a year via Windows Update regardless of which OS you are using. But did you know, Microsoft has done something that even neither Windows 8 and lower versions had, a free manual download of the full version of Windows 10 in an ISO file!!!!!!! Last time I have seen a free manual download was a Windows 8 Enterprise that doesn't apply to other versions of Windows (such as Home or Pro editions).

Unless you have a valid serial number, that OS will only work for 180 days before you must activate Windows (which I hate unlike other OSs that are not Windows). Also if you are upgrading from a Win10 Tech Preview to the full/upgraded version to Win10, the current serial number from the Tech Preview may not work. It does not work for me even following from this article: http://goodereader.com/blog/technology/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-from-technical-preview

Here's the manual download link for those who could not upgrade via Windows Update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

Note that Windows 10 Single Language is the multilanguage version of Windows which lets you select a language that is preinstalled in Windows.

Also note that the Windows 10 N is the European version, and Windows 10 KN is the Korean version. Both the N and KN versions do not come with media components unless those can be downloaded as an option: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

Edited by zocom7

Here's the manual download link for those who could not upgrade via Windows Update:

While I support the fact that they give an ISO at the ready during the one-year period, it will kinda kill the necessity to actually buy the OS at that time (Home edition is $120 on MS' website).

Also note that the Windows 10 N is the European version

That's a special European-only release without WMP that the EU forced MS to make after bitching nonsensically, but almost nobody bought it. It's not like you can't get a normal Windows version in Europe.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

ISO files are great. Earlier this year I was confused about the language versions they offer. I picked single language version, with "English International" (Great Britain English) but it wouldn't accept my serial number. I installed anyways, and then connected to the internet and suddenly it registered the serial number as legit. I don't understand why they bother with the different language versions, surely just one ISO would do? I don't think dictionaries take up much gig. Perhaps there's more to it.

I'm interested in this initiative to offer ISOs - are they trying to get the attention of potentially frustrated and bored Linux users? lol

I hope the Tech Bench link still stays after the Win10 one-year anniversary update.

Edited by zocom7

Here are the alternative links to download Windows 10 Creator's Edition (or version 15063) for those who couldn't get the Windows Update or the media creation tool working (**** Microsoft for not putting direct download links to the ISOs anymore):
https://www.windowsnews.nl/windows-10-build-15063-client-combined-iso

ISOs just make no sense, the moment they're uploaded they're essentially outdated. Dunno why the media creation tool doesn't work for you.

I did try using the media creation tool a few times in Win10 on my tablet. It first it worked but when it tried to download the selected type of ISO, the server hanged and didn't do anything in to download the required file and I was on a connected wi-fi to the home cable modem... not in a PC with a connected cable. I also never really liked using Windows Update anyway because there's a slim chance it'll work.... and it has been long since I tweaked multiple things in Win10 back then which may cause this effect.

@Lauren I think ISOs are good. They're the new version of the Windows reinstall CD. If a hard drive on a new PC dies then you lose your recovery partition, and if you hadn't made a Media Creation Tool backup you'd have to pay a fee to have your system and drivers reinstalled.

• Downvote 2

I mean, you could just fix it yourself and save the money. Then again, not everyone can do it I guess......

• Upvote 1

Woot, paying for formatting my pc? Seriously either you have a second pc or a friend where you can just quickly download a fresh and fully updated version of windows and make a boot stick.

I usually use the media creation tool to just download an iso (it's an option) and copy its contents on a stick which is formatted to be bootable anyway (if not it's maybe 5 lines in cmd). You rant on about how linux is so great etc and you cannot even reinstall windows yourself? Which is like the easiest thing to do since XP? You serious?

Also if you cannot even find/install the drivers you need on Windows, how do you even use Linux?

Edited by Lauren
  • Upvote 1

I used a Media Creation Tool backup one time and it said it couldn't proceed because it was missing drivers. Apparently the fix is to unplug the flash drive or take out the disk, and then reinsert (the disk I created with the original ISO didn't have this problem). The first time I installed Windows 10 it said that my version didn't match the version connected with my serial number, though that issue resolved itself.

The benefit of having reinstall media included is that it works without these stupid quirks. Also if a new computer broke then the last thing I'd want to do is use my second PC to do the disk burning and downloading, I'd rather use it to continue with my work. I found how to cheat the Media Creation Tool - get on a Linux PC and visit the Media Creation Tool download page, then Windows will say that your OS doesn't support Media Creation Tool, and it lets you download the latest Windows 10 ISO instead of the Media Creation Tool :)

I wouldn't pay to have my computer restored but many people would.

• Downvote 1

Dayum, you still burn discs? Must feel like the dark ages. I don't even have a disc drive anymore.

Also backup media suck butt. Just do a clean install, that's a lot better in 99% of the cases.

You also should read up on the difference between disk and disc.

Edited by Lauren

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

Dayum, you still burn discs? Must feel like the dark ages. I don't even have a disc drive anymore.

I still do at times. I don't know why fewer and fewer people have disc drives nowadays, don't you all have programs and games on CDs and DVDs from before the age of digital distribution?

Discs are just terribly small and slow, the only games I have which are of interest to me and not digitally available are the BFME games. Other than games... I think the last time I installed a program other than a game from a disc was around 2000.

Edited by Lauren

I guess Lauren and some others are now being used to digital distribution and backup instead of optical media. I am now used to digital distribution when it comes to free games/mods, especially promotional ones.

Besides it took me 15-20 minutes to copy files to a partitioned hard drive from a GTA IV blu-ray disc I had made and that's just merely 15 GB. The chances of having Win10 installed from a blu-ray disc is far faster and better than a DVD unless you add the missing programs and other features that Win10 doesn't have to fill up at least 20 GB. Recently I install WIn10 from an ISO file by just mounting the virtual drive with an opened ISO instead of a DVD. It's a sad thing to say the fact that Win10 should have been bigger.

As of right now, I rely on some blu-ray media and USB flash drives. Until I buy and build a new PC with USB 3.0 compatibility, blu-ray writable media is where I am sticking on because it's faster than USB 2.0 flash drives, and I know that USB 3.0 flash/hard drives are faster than blu-ray writable media. External USB 2.0 hard drives or portable drives are faster than USB 2.0 flash drives but they tend to break easily in the short term.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Get usb 3.1 gen 2, a ssd (6 Gbit/s), and a sata to usb cable and you got the biggest and fastest "thumb drive" available.

Edited by Lauren

I got a BluRay drive in mine. I still buy movies on disc. I tend be a collector and not being able to watch my own media would be a drag.

2 hours ago, jimmypham3875 said:

thnaks for that. i install win 10 for my laptop, but it got no activation. So trouble here.

Well of course, this was only for those who already have an activation key as a backup option.