Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

20 Years of C&C - Command & Conquer 20th Anniversary

UehO8MV.png

20 years ago today, Westwood Studios released the first Command & Conquer and redefined Real Time Strategy games forever. 31st August 1995, do you remember where you were on that date? Were you even born? Well yes I was born, but I sure as hell don't remember anything important that far back. But that's how long it has been. 20 years is a fantastic achievement for a gaming franchise, and I feel it is something we, as the fans, can be proud of. I'm sure the original development who were at Westwood all those years ago are just as proud. While the future of the franchise remains unknown, we can at least celebrate the Command & Conquer 20th Anniversary and enjoy the legacy of the franchise. Why not mark the occasion by playing some classic C&C online via CnCNet.

We invite you to share favourite and fondest memories of the original Command & Conquer in this 20th Anniversary news topic. 20 years of Command & Conquer. Here's to another 20 years!

I would have been 9 then, but I didn't play C&C until I was about 13 or so. I thought it was fun enough to buy Red Alert, which was already out by then, almost immediately and Tiberian Sun when it came out shortly thereafter.

I was born roughly four months before the release of TibDawn, so I don't know what it was all like at release. My awesome bro did let me touch his PC when I was 4-ish, so my earliest gaming experiences were with the RA1 demo (the Tanya rescue mission was great, but I vaguely and incorrectly remember the other one) and the TibDawn demo (the beachhead mission).

I am, however, sad that this anniversary didn't have an activity spike, at least for this day alone. Then again, most people don't even have even the slightest enthusiasm left or are too busy. I guess such is the fate of neglected franchises and will probably have to live with that eventually.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Happy 20th C&C fans.

So many great memories. I wonder if (m)any of the old Westwood staff know about today, probably not, but they should be proud.

I was around 9 years old at the time, but I didn't have a PC, not until 1996 when C&C Red Alert came out. By the time RA reaches 20 years old next year, it is still the best and most popular C&C game of all time.

I didn't get a chance to play the first C&C game until in the mid 2000s when Nyerguds started working on patching/editing/enhancing C&C95.

Tiberium Alliances also celebrate anniversary.

0VXFbbl.jpg

Hey everyone,

exactly 20 years ago on August 31, Command & Conquer was released. The Original, the very first game in the franchise we all have grown to love over time.

This momentous occasion obviously calls for a celebration - so we want to celebrate this with you guys. And as it is custom for birthdays and anniversaries, we obviously also have some presents for everyone!

Throughout September, we will have tons of activations, events and giveaways. And all of that starts today with two announcements:

Exclusive 20th Anniversary Badge
For everyone that logs into Tiberium Alliances and plays the game during September, we will award the exclusive 20th Anniversary Badge. You can already see the badge in the promo artwork at the top of the post.

But we have much more interesting badges coming up...

Tiberium Alliances World Championship 2015 starts on September 15
You already knew there was a new World Championship Server coming - but you didn't know when. Well, you know now! The new World Championship server starts on September 15.

As always, the WCS will only be open to players that have completed the endgame before and will be 5000 Players only. We will open Pre-Signup for the WCS on September 8.

You can find more information HERE.

This is just the start of "20 Years of Command & Conquer", so stay tuned for more in the coming days and weeks!

greetz
/pX

http://forum.alliances.commandandconquer.com/showthread.php?tid=45028

Edited by Sonic
Fixed quoted text

I am old enough to have experienced the original game around the timeframe of its original release. It was at a friend's place. I may or may not have experienced Warcraft 2 prior to that, I can't recall that vividly, but Command & Conquer certainly left a much heavier impression on me. The unique gameplay with hovercraft loading units off at the beach, the entire concept of the MCV, the "real" music in all its mono 22khz glory selectable from a playlist, the FMVs... All of these things coming together made it an unprecedented video game experience.

Guest Rabbit

While C&C hasn't been my favorite thought lately, it will always have a spot in my heart as one of the best series ever conceived.

Congrats, C&C.

I was about 3 years old when C&C initially launched. Played the first game and RA on the PS1, along with their expansions. Later, when I got a modern PC around the Win98/XP days, I stumbled upon some CDs labeled Tiberian Sun and that was that.

I've accepted C&C's fate and don't even look for any news these days. I often play the old games and their community mods with full joy and that's enough for me. A big thanks to everyone involved with making the oldies what they are today, for putting in that extra effort, it shaped my childhood and my future.

Nice to see people still around. Thanks to everyone for keeping C&C alive.

My first exposure to C&C was the C&C95 demo. I played those missions over and over again at the age of 5. After that I became a comitted Westwood fan - bought all of the C&C games on PC, bought the Dune games and Nox. C&C was a huge part of my life. I helped develop two indie games (Renegade X and C&C Reborn), I started a huge clan, I wrote fan fiction, and I spent hours on community forums. I played over 3000 hours of C&C Renegade and got some of my RL friends into it. I absolutely loved the C&C95 and Tiberian Sun stories and spent many days thinking about it all.

I do hope this is not the end of the franchise, but in some ways it is for me. I have a great deal of nostalgia for the older games, not just because they were good, but because they were unique for their time, and they filled my childhood with great memories and feelings. Unless EA produces a high-budget triple-A C&C RTS or FPS with a compelling story, I doubt I'll be getting back into C&C. Until then, I've been keeping myself occupied with Renegade X.

Ever since I first played it on the Playstation 1 the original C&C has been my favorite (or one of my favorite) games of all time and I still find myself playing it: online and offline. It may lack the amount of map sizes of Red Alert, the convenient unit queues of later C&C titles and yet I still find it more fun. Of all the versions I think I prefer the DOS version, but C&C95 is great for online play. I own all the different versions of C&C1 as shown below.

cnc1family-sm.jpg

I did a 5 hour stream of me playing on CnCNet today and I might do some more later on this week.

Edited by Tore
  • Upvote 2

My first exposure to Command and Conquer series is: when I sees people playing Red Alert 2 in my computer shop near my Junior High School, then when I got a new Computer(aka one that I currently uses right now) I plays Red Alert 2, Tiberian Sun, and Generals(including Zero hour), I also used to visits Westwood.com to sees stats of my favorite Red Alert 2 arsenals until I finds out that Westwood studios has shut down by Electronic Arts 3 year before Westwood.com dies.

I never really plays Tiberium Wars, but I briefly plays Red Alert 3(specifically training missions), and I also briefly plays C&C4(I tried this once and this isn't so bad if it isn't sequel for Tiberium Wars)

back in 2010, I proposed 2 big fat Projects: Command and Conquer 2012(Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour mod project that's basically Rise of the Reds with added Reptilians as 6th faction) and one that crossovers Command and Conquer(or at least it's elements) with the rest of my favorite series(both former and current ones) among others. the former was canceled for good reason(where the arsenals of it's Reptilian faction are largely recycled for my Crossover Project's villain, and the cancellation of this Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour mod are takes place just before EA announces Generals 2) while the latter are continued to this day(and managed to become my magnum opus, too bad I can't post the link to the website of this project for good reasons at least for now)

Edited by Masonicon
  • Downvote 2

If EA just had played their cards right, we would now have a great Command & Conquer 20th anniversary collection containing:

Command & Conquer

Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations

Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Command & Conquer: Red Alert: Counterstrike

Command & Conquer: Red Alert: The Aftermath

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun – Firestorm

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

Command & Conquer: Yuri's Revenge

Command & Conquer: Renegade

Command & Conquer: Generals

Command & Conquer: Generals: Zero Hour

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 – Uprising

Command & Conquer: Tiberium

THE REAL Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 4

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 4 - The Return of Yuri

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn HD Edition

Command & Conquer: Generals 2

Command & Conquer: Generals 2 - Cold War

Command & Conquer: Generals 2 - Laser Storm

So, what went wrong ;_;

Edited by Jarzka

What no Sole Survivor and Sole Survivor 2? :P

• Upvote 2

On a side note, Tiberium alliances has this new cover photo artwork to show, but I'm not sure if its anything new since I don't follow it any more. Looks like a compilation of previous wallpapers and such things along with some new bits and pieces added in to make it seem like a new battle sequence.

11952735_1146614265365848_19365984339542

They announced some events during September, including another World Championship. Also, IIRC, whoever logged in yesterday got that 20th anniversary badge.

I was first exposed to C&C through the Playstation 1 version of Red Alert. I was entranced by the graphics, the gameplay and the cutscenes. No other game has real people acting out the storyline. Years later at High School, my love for C&C picked up again with Renegade and I became engrossed in the modding community. Red alert: A Path Beyond was my favourite game between 2007 and 2009. Who could've known that I'd be working on RTS games (Total War: Attila, Halo Wars 2) for a living 16 years after I was first introduced to the series. C&C has truly shaped my life and helped me get where I've wanted to go in life.

I've printed off a 20th anniversary poster and planted it firmly on the wall near my desk at Creative Assembly so that everyone can acknowledge the true majesty of it's RTS legacy. It's been a long time C&C, a long time indeed...

• Upvote 3

Hehe, respect for the poster :)

I'm born in 1989 and I have memories from at least 1993. First C&C I Ever played was Tiberian Sun, then Red Alert and then Tiberian Dawn (probably the same year all of them, 1999). The Tiberian series is my favorite. I still cant forgive EA for what they did with cnc.