AltairLightstar

C&C Generals/Zero Hour fails to start Win7 64-bit

C&C Generals and Zero Hour fail to start. The .exe appears in Task Manager for a second and then it disappears. I've tried manually adding the .ini to the Command and Conquer Generals data folder.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 6 cores, 3.50 GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280x

RAM: 16 GB

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING (MS-7693)

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Game Version:Generals 1.08, Zero Hour 1.04

Edit: I am using the Generals Deluxe Edition, not The First Decade or The Ultimate Collection

Edited by AltairLightstar

Manually install DirectX 9.0c. This installer will merely extract the needed files to a folder of your choosing. Go to that folder and run DXSETUP.exe as administrator.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Make sure you run Generals and Zero Hour in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.

I am still having problems running Zero Hour after installing the DirectX9.0. Other version was 11. My problem started after a September 2015 Windows 7 Update. Now I can't go back to when it worked, as restored date doesn't go back that far. I used to get the error "Run as administrator", I don't get that anymore. Upon running the program, I just get the same screen as the cursor spins for a little while than stops spinning.

Edited by mav

Go to the Windows Update menu in the Control Panel.

Under the Installed Updates menu, look for KB3086255, right-click on it and remove it. Reboot, then go back to the Windows Update menu. Manually click Check for Updates, and then on "# important updates pending". You'll see that KB number again - right-click on it and then Hide This Update.

All SafeDisc-protected games will work as they should.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

That worked! Yea. Now, not sure if updates are working. Seems to try than update screen goes away without confirmation. Game launches, but get 'Your are defeated' in skirmish mode shortly after starting. Game runs individual missions.

That happens when the actual copy protection thinks it finds an illegal copy. Make a clean reinstall, preferrably to a different folder.

That happens when the actual copy protection thinks it finds an illegal copy. Make a clean reinstall, preferrably to a different folder.

Thanks!