Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad Ali

FinalAlert building captures

I've just started using the FinalAlert 2 map editor and I'm wondering if there's a way to allow Engineers to capture faction buildings. I've seen on other maps that you could use an Engineer to capture a neutral Spy Satellite or Nuclear Reactor but when I place them down they're not capturable in-game. Halp?

They should be capturable, unless you've edited the rules.ini, map ini, or have a mod that affects the ini.

Another question, if I edit INIs using the in-map editor for the INIs, will it mod my game or will it just be specific to the map and keep the game version vanilla while allowing you to play the modded rules on that map

The ini editor in FinalAlert only modifies the map you currently have open.

Nice, thanks. Another question, (instead of starting a new topic) in my map I have neutral buildings start next to every starting point. Is there anything I can do to make it so that the buildings automatically belong to the player?

You can trigger them to transfer to starting locations; that is to whoever happened to start at said locations.

There are two ways to do this, depending on your circumstances.

First there is "14 Change house" which is hard to implement (depending on the number of objects) as it needs to be manually attached to the objects that are to be transferred, but this also means that only the attached objects are transferred.

Alternatively, there is "36 All change house" which is easier to implement, but not useful for balanced maps where everyone gets free stuff. All change house transfers ownership of all structures and units from the trigger owner (typically civilian) to another house or starting location.

If your free buildings are next to the starting location(s), you would generally use a civilian-owned trigger set to trigger with "8 Any event" and then one of the two actions listed above.

Note that if your free buildings require power, you may want a free power plant included with them or the player(s) will already have low power before they even deploy their Construction Yard. Of course, more elaborate events could be used to avoid this as well, but a free power plant is more straightforward.