Sign in to follow this  
Alphabear

Hello Everyone

Hi Everyone

Just and old fool who decided to drop back in on my old favorite site and homepage for quite a while.

Some of you may have noticed me in the shoutbox, some of you may even remember me from back in the days prior to RA3. I'm very glad to see this place still kicking along with so many names I remember. I have gotten back into a bit of a CNC mood of late so thought I would drop in here again. Certainly a lot of cool info and mods for me to try out which should keep my occupied for a while.

Anyway its good to see you all again.

Welcome back! :)

Always good to see our long time forum regulars pop back in :)

So you must have disappeared after the release of RA3 then? You have missed a lot of changes around the community and of course around here on CNCNZ.com.

Always good to see our long time forum regulars pop back in :)

So you must have disappeared after the release of RA3 then? You have missed a lot of changes around the community and of course around here on CNCNZ.com.

That I did. After Universe at War and petro-gamers ended I hung around for a bit through the RA3 beta and early days of RA3, up until about when the expansion came out. But by that stage I just wasnt feeling much into it, plus my Uni grades really needed a lot of focus.

Ah yes Petro-Games, I has such big plans for that site. Why did the games have get so boring and suck? Oh well.

Thinking back you have missed about 2-3 CNCNZ.com redesigns, a BIG forum upgrade, the transition to our now WordPress powered site (December 2013). Oh yeah and our much needed move back home to New Zealand located hosting this past June.

On the C&C gaming side you missed C&C 4, no big loss, the announcement of Generals 2, then re-announced as a free to play C&C... and then it's cancellation.

So you have missed a bit but not that much I guess.

Early C&C4 development actually did have me a bit hyped at the new direction they were taking the game, that is until it came out and I realised how wrong I was.

I was pretty hopeful for Generals 2. I wasn't expecting it to be fantastic, but for some reason I have found myself missing Zero Hour the most out of all the games, even though back when Zero Hour was the main game I was much more nostalgic for the original tiberium series. There's something about the generals/zh gameplay that I enjoyed and now miss.

I have hope that the C&C series has a future still. I'm predicting an announcement in the next year or two of a new game. Purely because I cant imagine EA of all companies which under their current leadership of wanting to do right by players would let such an iconic franchise sit. It would be the perfect big name franchise to see a return of soon, even if completely isolated in terms of story.

I was pretty hopeful for Generals 2. I wasn't expecting it to be fantastic, but for some reason I have found myself missing Zero Hour the most out of all the games, even though back when Zero Hour was the main game I was much more nostalgic for the original tiberium series. There's something about the generals/zh gameplay that I enjoyed and now miss.

I was hopeful as well. Especially in December 2012 when some of us went to EA Studio in LA to play test an alpha build. The team were on track to make something special I felt, they just need time.

I have hope that the C&C series has a future still. I'm predicting an announcement in the next year or two of a new game. Purely because I cant imagine EA of all companies which under their current leadership of wanting to do right by players would let such an iconic franchise sit. It would be the perfect big name franchise to see a return of soon, even if completely isolated in terms of story.

I share your outlook for the future. Rather than going into details here you should read my article found here http://www.cncnz.com/features/articles-editorials/the-state-of-the-command-conquer-franchise-where-to-from-here/

Good article. I pretty much agree with everything you have said.

Edited by Alphabear

Purely because I cant imagine EA of all companies which under their current leadership of wanting to do right by players would let such an iconic franchise sit. It would be the perfect big name franchise to see a return of soon, even if completely isolated in terms of story.

Pretty sure EA has a graveyard full of iconic franchises they burried because they didnt sell enough (and I cant imagine CnC4 being a topseller). ;)

If my memory serves me right , CnC was moved from EALA to Bioware and then to Victory Games, then the game was turned into a F2P game (as EA cut down the funding) and then finaly canceled on short notice.

Dont know about you, but I seems to me that EA has no idea what to do with this franchise. Kinda guesss they are afraid of SC2 and MOBA games...

Edited by Stygs

(and I cant imagine CnC4 being a topseller).

It held a spot in the top ten in game sales for at least four months after it came out. I don't know if that qualifies it as a "top seller", but the fact is that despite it being a terrible game, it did sell well.

And don't forget the preorders.

Pretty sure EA has a graveyard full of iconic franchises they burried because they didnt sell enough (and I cant imagine CnC4 being a topseller). ;)

Yes true, but it fills a spot in their genre coverage with a game that will sell on name alone. From a business point of view they have a name that will be a guaranteed seller, in a market they have nothing else competing in. Does it need to be in the old style of C&C RTS? No. But that doesnt mean they cant generate an easy profit with the name alone.

What about a mash-up. Command and Conquer: Star Wars

(that one is just me dreaming :P)