Sign in to follow this  
GeneralJist

Using 3DS max 9 on newer computers?/ using WW Animation plugin on newer versions of 3DS Max?

So,

For animating for C&C3, it requires 3DS max 9 due to a custom plugin Westwood developed, which does weight paining for you.

There's been some concern in my team recently on how old the plugin is, and if there has been any efforts in trying to adapt the plugin for newer versions of Max?

Max 9 doesn't work on some newer computers, citing driver incompatibilities, and the like.

Since this plugin seems to be required for animating in sage, we're wondering if there have been any efforts around trying to make the plugin compatable with newer technologies.

Thanks,

-Jist

Edited by GeneralJist

I believed I saw commit of someone mentioned it possible but he/she too lazy to do it, can't say if it true though

Edited by Egozi44

max9 runs gud on even w10 x64. You just need to know what to do and how to configure it.

I heard a rumor that you can use max's skin/envelope modifier and convert it into a wwskin afterwards? Know if there is any truth to that or have any experience with that?

I heard a rumor that you can use max's skin/envelope modifier and convert it into a wwskin afterwards? Know if there is any truth to that or have any experience with that?

yes, once you installed the SDK's plugin for max9, check Utilities-Maxscript, select RTS, there are w3d to skin and skin to w3d in skinning, as well as some other useful scripts.

From my recent experience with other people use max or other apps in different OSs in general, it worked for some and gave issues to others even if they set everything right, my guess is that they didn't updated their windows compabilitis via win update, sometimes even when it working it still give random issues due to compabilitis... all I can suggest is to stay away from win 10 and 8 and use it on 7 or good old xp

But I think we missing the point here,

What he asked was if there's any way to update the plug in (or in other words "we sick of max 9 ;D )

Edited by Egozi44

The problem is usually between the chair and the monitor. And someone can say they set something up correctly and still having it totally borked just because they don't know better.

And "updating the plugin"? Why does no one of his team do that? They seem to have the money to buy *coughcough* newer versions so they might just have or hire someone with knowledge.

Edited by Lauren
  • Upvote 2

Max 9 doesn't work on some newer computers, citing driver incompatibilities, and the like.

It works fine on new os, like the mighty one said.

The problem is usually between the chair and the monitor. And someone can say they set something up correctly and still having it totally borked just because they don't know better.

And "updating the plugin"? Why does no one of his team do that? They seem to have the money to buy *coughcough* newer versions so they might just have or hire someone with knowledge.

devilish as always. ;)

It took me 5 hours to manually rewind one damaged coil of the stator of my dremel 3000 (yeah, I know that it has no sense posting this here, but I needed some catharsis). :banghead:

UPDATE 14/2

There is a w3d plugin for blender, did you know, original post:

http://forum.modding-union.com/index.php/topic,15838.0.html

Author: Tarcontar + others

Link to the files:

https://github.com/sage-team/W3D-Tools

Since they are written in python (sort of script), you can rewrite them as you like for almost any program.

Edited by jvm

hmmmm,

I c,

Well, thanks,

If anyone here has the skill and the time to rewrite the plugin, let me know, if not, I'll find someone on our team to look into it.

This is a critical part of getting things done, and we're already limited when we force our animators to use max 9, instead of any newer versions of max. (it decreases efficiency, and more)

Think I'd be a great service to moding C&C if someone looked into it, lowering the barrier to entry into moding for artists.

I'l also dig around in the Autodesk community, see if they have any resources.

Would the folks @ W3D hub or Renegade X have insight into this?

They'd be similarly limited with their engines and tools right?

1. ya user error is like usually 60-70% of the issue xd

2. Well, no, our artists have newer versions of programs because that is what they had when they signed on.

We provide max 9 for animators since it's required, but beyond that, we as a team don't have pooled finances to do such.

I'd love to one day, but if we did need to pay anyone, it would most likely come out of my pocket, since we're not a company yet.

Ya, maybe I'll need to, with something as important and impactful as this, because if I don't hire someone, and just do volunteer, the support & trouble shooting, which is bound to happen, needs to be done professionally.

(but then, if I pay for it done, I'd be harder for us to make it available to the C&C moding community at large)

hmm,

I'll do some more digging.....

Guess this illustrates the classic designer mindset, if a tool doesn't exist to get the job done, he/ she will create a tool to get it done.

PS.

One of our members volunteered, so we'll se how it goes.

Edited by GeneralJist

UPDATE 14/2

There is a w3d plugin for blender, did you know, original post:

A few things to note:

1. it's w3D not w3X.

2. The author is still baffled about animations.

Also for an exporter:

it's not just enough to dump the data, that would be easy. Finding optimal triangle strips is important, as it increases final render speed (if this step isn't taken the graphics card has to go back and forth through the vertex array a lot more).

Edited by Lauren

A few things to note:

1. it's w3D not w3X.

Indeed.

Finding optimal triangle strips is important, as it increases final render speed (if this step isn't taken the graphics card has to go back and forth through the vertex array a lot more).

I have a lot (LOT) to learn, I had to google "triangle strips" to understand your sentence.... :(

Edited by jvm

Btw that's also the reason in the manual it says that you shouldn't look at the max vertex/poly count as sometimes in optimizing the strips it's easier to duplicate vertices so that it doesn't have to jump as much. Finding the right strips increases render speed by about 20%

And well I studied that stuff, at least until I fluked it because of depression.

Edited by Lauren

And well I studied that stuff, at least until I fluked it because of depression.

If I didn't misunderstand you, it is sad to hear (actually read), that someone with a beautiful intellect (yes, I don't think that a better word would describe it) had depression. Life isn't just, but we have to keep on (cuz it will end quite soon).

The main reason why I keep coming back after some months to cnc forums, is you.

My brain feels so stimulated when I read your posts, so much knowledge, feminine touch and grace that I cannot explain it.

Edited by Lauren

love to one day, but if we did need to pay anyone, it would most likely come out of my pocket, since we're not a company yet.

You can always got hire by EA, they have free seats after what they done with EALA and Westwood

https://images.sankakucomplex.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Nissan-Parking-Chair-1.gif

One of our members volunteered, so we'll se how it goes.

If he will succeed there's any chance you will share with the community so that any modder could use this plugin?

Edited by Egozi44

Trololo ...

Maybe, at most in the intellectual level. Cuz I don't feel attracted by male bodies (my frontal lobe won't allow it). The problem is that almost all the women I've dated, every time we had a conversation was more boring than looking at the wall for hours.

Hey at least is good for you, to start using an spanish word...

"[...]by male bodies (my frontal lobe won't allow it)" way to loose all respect, end of story.

Edited by Lauren

"[...]by male bodies (my frontal lobe won't allow it)" way to loose all respect, end of story.

Sad, but I try to be honest. I had a lot of mental inhibitions (social bindings, limitations) when it comes to physical social relationships. I know it sound harsh "male", sorry about that.

Jvm and Lauren, I think you two should meet, but not here. :P

Also Jvm, any update for the C&C4 defs for WrathEd? Any chance you got something there?

Edited by zocom7

We have crawler there, is there anything else we need beside it? :P

ummmm,

huh?

@Jvm,

You've strayed a bit too far, too fast, and got a bit too personal, sorry, but from what I can tell, most of us are here to support C&C in whatever kind of way we can. Personal conversations involving life should only be mentioned if they fit into that.

Anything else just should be taken up in a PM.

I know I'm talking like a moderator, tho I never was, but this is my thread, and I need it to stay on topic to help solve this issue.

I trust you understand that.

@Lauren,

Thanks for the important detail,

Glad it was caught before any more work was put into it.

Might be back to square 1.... err