Well if they're gonna make another C&C game they should listen to the community and see what they themselves want and try to integrate the community's ideas(the good ones) it could possibly be a win win.

The basic problem is that the series spans multible games with different engines and universes. As a result, there are various groups that want totally different games.

No matter what EA does, some will allways be unhappy because they didnt get the game they wanted.

You can write your own lore all you want, but it is not canon. As far as "selling" it, that goes way farther than what I was talking about, into the realm of copyright. Either way, the answer is yes, you do need their authority.

Perception is reality.

If enough people treat something as "Cannon", or close enough, than it could be,

I see it like this, you can either have community made cannon, maybe dubious "fan fiction", or nothing.

Sure, if that happens, it will most likely be overwritten, the minute Official Cannon materializes, but in the mean time, it's better to have something than nothing.

moding, and unofficial patches are a testament to that, some of us are not content to wait for something that may or may not come, even if it does, who would you rather have faith in to write suitable story arcs? The dedicated community, which has been around since the beginnings, or some "Green" EA employees, who likely never heard of C&C until they were put on the project?

Follow whatever you like, but EA had how many times to make the Cannon shine? Meh...they did the best with their situations....

And by "sell" i meant in the terms of representing something/ getting behind something, and pushing it, not financially competing without official sanction.

If enough people treat something as "Cannon", or close enough, than it could be,

No it won't. It doesn't matter how much fans want or don't want something to be canon, only the owner of the material has the right to decide canon. EA decided Tiberian Twilight is canon, so it is. Disney decided the expanded universe of Star Wars is not canon, so it isn't.

Fans whining about what they think should or shouldn't be canon is completely and utterly irrelevant.

And it's "canon", with one "n", a cannon is for shooting people.

what is canon and fmv?

@GeneralJList thanks for the suggestion I wasn't sure if you were like trying to introducing/encouraging me to try modding or like why don't you try making a mod and see how far you go but I might try it sometime. :)

Guest Rabbit

Canon, in this context, is the official storyline and/or atmosphere for the C&C series. Intentional emphasis on the word "official," because it is basically the opposite of fan-fiction, which is the unofficial "mod" storylines.

FMV is short for Full Motion Video. It refers to the in-game movies featuring actual actors or footage. In the C&C series, this mostly refers to the videos that play before or after a mission.

And it's "canon", with one "n", a cannon is for shooting people.

You would think at the rate everyone gets butthurt over such things as canon and fan-fiction, people were actually getting shot with a cannon!

I've seen adults practically breakdown and cry when Disney said screw the expanded universe.

Edited by Ravendark

The basic problem is that the series spans multible games with different engines and universes. As a result, there are various groups that want totally different games.

No matter what EA does, some will allways be unhappy because they didnt get the game they wanted.

Yup. Heck, going way back as an example, I was disappointed in the storytelling of RA2 vs RA1. I liked the laid back, campy, but not totally zany style of RA1's videos and the way they presented the story. I heavily dislike the way RA2 changed from RA1. I'm in the minority on that, but there's a lot of nuance between fans of even classical C&C. That all changes even more from fans that got into the series from Gens and ZH.

And listening to the community is important, sure, but it also doesn't mean the community is chalk full of great ideas. It might also represent a very vocal, but niche, desires, which if a game were to implement, might alienate bringing in new players and/or alienating old ones. I think Valve is probably the best example of a company that does implementing community ideas well but they've also done updates and then had to backtrack (thankfully they're not too proud to admit they dun goofed). Quite a few times they've rolled out Dota or CS GO for example that the community requested and it didn't go so well in terms of what it did to the overall game or specific game-mechanics. Flip side, there's been some updates that the community went up-in-arms over but in the end were accepted and generally looked at in retrospect as a net positive.

Game updates are different than games, though. The future team of a potential C&C game will have to listen to the community for sure but they'll just need to know when to say, "Thanks for the idea, but it's not in the spirit of what the game is being made around." For C&C to do in the future, the game just has to be a) good and B) fun. At this point as a C&C fan, I would be happy to see a new RTS game that has some general characteristics of C&C but I don't care if they decide to go in much different direction. Well, besides a MOBA... I'd be pissed if C&C became one :P

Edited by TheBlackOut

Back to the original topic, there won't be a reboot. I recommend that folks check out Tropico 5, it feels tacky in ways but Tropico shows us what can be achieved by a small studio. I'm going to study a software engineering diploma next year (2 years of study) and I'll make my own strategy games with C# or Java, and maybe C++. Even if I never make it in the games industry I can at least help develop things in my spare time. Battle For Wesnoth is a good example of a turn-based strategy game that "made it". They started small and got to the point of having scenario editors and multiplayer. Pretty advanced for a non-commercial project.

2 years seems rather short.

2 years seems rather short.

The programming course is normally one year, but the New Zealand government has ruled that programming diplomas be 2 years long. Anybody enrolling in 2017 is in for 2 years. I don't want to do a degree because I wouldn't make it. Besides, I'd have to do essays and I don't want to touch the business side of things - imagine the crap I'd have to put up with. I just want to code. If I need maths knowledge, then I'll specifically take maths courses at a university and pay for a tutor. I want to get my head around programming before I get into calculus and all that tricky stuff. You're right though - if a person really wants to get into game development they need the maths too (from a degree).

They started small and got to the point of having scenario editors and multiplayer. Pretty advanced for a non-commercial project.

There's plenty of such examples. Even if you lack of programming, you still may create great game like IceFrog.

Lately, I've been into indie games and i have to say, that there are dozens of games which are more involving than most AAA titles.

I checked Steam for small titles the other day. I just need more money and a proper internet connection lol. Thanks to engines like Cocos and Unity it's easy and fast for a small team to make a game.

I want to get my head around programming before I get into calculus and all that tricky stuff.

Shows that you have not even the slightest idea about programming. Esp if you want to do a strategy game you need maths, a lot. Programming itself is math.

Thanks to engines like Cocos and Unity it's easy and fast for a small team to make a game.

"easy" - yes easy as in "not as hard as 10 years ago". Edited by Lauren

I still have the book w/ cd that was all about how to design fps games. It was my first crack with Photoshop too, since I strongly favor Corel for most things. That was.... 16 years ago? I don't remember the name of the engine it came with, but I know I still have the book.

Yes, it is easier today than it was back then but what I learned in college wasn't just the thought process of the logic, but the math too, it was intense. I had some very bad semesters because of the math classes. It's one thing to be able to read code, its another to understand what its doing.

@jeffnz, go check out coursea.org and look at brainbench.com for certifications, which can net you a better job than the pain of a degree. A certification shows you're specialized in something. That makes you valuable. Find anything you can from Lynda.com too. I used InDesign for years then watched Lynda's instructional videos on it and learned a lot more I could do and have used.

As for the future of CnC, I believe that a DOTA style mod, meaning a complete overhaul, is the only real future it would have. Too many times I've seen, as I'm sure some of you have as well, games of all kinds fail in the wake of their arrogance for ignoring the very thing which sustained them: the players. The problem would be, who would work on it? Most, if not all, work full time + over time. It'd take a community effort from mind mapping to story boarding to modeling, then coding and balancing, and beta testing to get something workable. Even then, you're looking at 6 mos working at a very fast pace? Not to digress.

What would a CnC 5 look like? What if the Scrin were only the beginning? What if the missions were how much tiberium you could harvest to aid in the global effort to be rid of it? What if took over everything regardless and the whole world became like the Forgotten? What if after 30 years the whole earth became a tiberium crystal orbiting the sun?

Story wise, what I believe could be done, if this were explored further, is a more indepth telling of the years between TD, TS, TW, and TT.

I looked up some screen shots and vids of TT and honestly, I was rather disappointed at what I saw. I don't want to see another chapter, future or otherwise, come from EA. I don't like the command bar across the bottom, I didn't care for some of the changes... the walkers, most everything that walked, just looked clunky to me. Too... Star Wars AT-AT style. If the Mastodon weren't a walker, I could like it more. But these are specifics to me. I felt that it moved away too much from how all the rest of the CnC & RA games were. Generals was different from the start, so to me it wouldn't be included in this comparison.

I realy want some new CnC game.

I was working last week and I had a good yakking with a guy about Generals: Zero Hour. People still play it. I wouldn't bet on it being Windows 10 compatible, though (plus, everyone has different hardware and drivers). The introduction of Windows 10 and the breaking of some old games may mean new games.

Windows 10 user here, proving you absolutely wrong (do some research before making such claims).

Also, ZH isn't the subject matter.

Windows 10 user here, proving you absolutely wrong (do some research before making such claims). Also, ZH isn't the subject matter.

I've got Tiberian Sun on Windows 10 and it works, but if you accidentally press the windows key it breaks your game and you have to end-task and load your most recently saved game. I tried the option to disable special keys while in game, but it doesn't work. I'm tired of clinging onto the past. Time for a new RTS.

Tiberian Sun is yet another unrelated matter (and that's a known problem with TS and RA2 on Win10, but it's not like it prevents you from actually playing or running the games in a window).

To be honest if EA were going to make another great C&C game, all they need to do is approch Petroglyph again as they have showed they still have the flair with 8Bit Armies. to be very honest it think the series is dead in the water at the moment as EA has bigger cash cows that gerate money on a regulay basis and the C&C model of bussniess doesnt fit how the moden way of bussiness is done in the gaming inderstry. IE DLC.

The only way for EA to recover they game series back to its former glory is to just go back to the roots and do simple gameplay that was easy to follow and not over develop it. RA 2 was pusshing it, TS was a better fit or classic RA. I feel that the models dont need to look UHD High Pollish simple and gritty is fine, it suits the fanchise. Fluid game mechcanics, easy to pick up and learn, and not complicate it. A really gripping story with and engaging multiplayer, that makes you want to come back for more.

C&C tried to be the next big RTS and stand out above the rest instead of compete with games like Company of Heros, and Act Of War or even Star Craft all they needed to do was just be them selfs, as that is what keept them Unique.

I really do want another C&C game but i want one that feels more like a Classic C&C game than these modern RTS games.

To be honest if EA were going to make another great C&C game, all they need to do is approch Petroglyph again as they have showed they still have the flair with 8Bit Armies.

:facepalm:

Guest Rabbit

Why do people still kiss Petroglyph / Westwood's butt like they still crap golden games?

They pull the same crap and cut the same corners as any other company. Don't forget this little gem:

We've reduced our costs by eliminating lots of cutscenes and dialogue and we're passing the savings on to you!

Edited by Rabbit

and iall that game is about is solid gameplay and i dont mind it at all, cant build a multivurse on 8Bit very well. Minecraft is a great example of it, how many years to get a story for it, and then it had to come from another company anyway.

Solid gameplay? Argumented by what, absence of any substantial gamplay whatsoever? The gits boasted about leaving out "complicated" elements of RTS, which was already arguably an easy-to-play genre. They'd be as damaging to C&C as EA would be.

Why do people still kiss Petroglyph / Westwood's butt like they still crap golden games?

Even besides that, Westwood is scattered anyway. Petroglyph barely still has any of the original C&C crew.